Re: windows 10

Doug_Smith wrote:

Greetings All!  First off, I'm not a full blown certified PC Tech...... Juat a hobbist with some miles on.  The first hard drive I came in contact with was the size of a top-load washing machine and would store a massive 10M of data!!  processors were running @ 7MHz and "Downtown" was a mega-hit (Petula Clarke for you historians).

Amy,  You are not responsible for fried main-boards, and they are not brand specific!  It's not a curse, it's capacitors that either reach their end of life, or have experienced power surges over time and finally surrendered. Really! just about every one that I have had fail,or have changed out for folks had blown/overheated/swollen (pick one) capacitors on it.  Storms, surges, heat, or just bad power supplies kill them.

As for SSD drives, the failure rate for them over "spinning rust" is too high vs cost to justify refitting just yet.  In devices that depend on batteries, like tablets, convertables, & laptops they substantially extend battery runtime (mainly because spinning motors eat electrons).  Also newer hard drives have read/write speeds that still beat the fastest SSDs, with very good reliability, and if you don't trust the one you are running, they are affordable to install a second drive and set up a "mirror" array so if the main fails everything is also on the second.  External drives are great for backing up essential data and your documents/photos/music will be saved if something catastrophic happens. 

If you would like to try Linux... you only need a blank 2Gb USB drive and visit the Ubuntu homepage for instructions on how to make it bootable and download the 14.04 version (that is last year's release & stable).  You get the option of either installing the OS, or "test driving" it from the thumb drive without formatting or abandoning your existing OS...... bear in mind that it is always a good idea to backup your files before doing anything that you might click wrong and start a process that may lose you something! 
Anyway, the Linux OS will run off the thumb drive and might be a little slower than if it was actually on your hard disk, but you can play around in it and get a feel for using the software without commitment or cost  (Ubuntu is free!).  It really is kinda like a cross between Mac OS and Windows with everything running in a GUI (unless you really like "command" in which case "terminal" will feel familiar....exit). All needed drivers are packed in the kernel (so you don't have to hunt them down) and it includes Firefox as default browser along with a few apps (but no "shovel-ware" ie: trial apps with nag screens etc).

Russell,  BSOD?  do you have the delay before or AFTER the "Windows Splash Screen"?  Where it "hangs" in the sequence helps finding what kind of issue might be slowing your startup.  Please Advise.

Doug

Doug on my Dell N5050 it is Windows 7 home premium and when I turn it on the Windows screen comes on right away but there is a pause then the blue windows welcome screen comes on right after that it should boot to the desktop but it go's black with only the cursor moving I am using a HDMI cable to my 32" flat screen tv but even if I disconnect the cable it still dose the same thing I have the recommended screen resolution settings (around 1375 pixels) which are factory settings.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Sorry, Russell.  I thought it was "dead".  I missed where you originally said that it does boot. It's good that it will eventually boot though! It sounds like a bad hard drive is common with this model, and reminds me of the issues I had with my last laptop (where it ended up the motherboard parading as a bad hard drive). It sounds like Doug might know some better answers than I do. In the mean time, start backing up any important files if you haven't already just in case, and because it's good to do anyway (there's a lot of free places to upload files to  " the cloud" if you don't have writable DVDs on hand or an external hdd).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm still plugging along with windows XP       untill it bombs -   I'll stay with what I'm comfortable with -   I hate  windows 8

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

mekidsmom wrote:

Sorry, Russell.  I thought it was "dead".  I missed where you originally said that it does boot. It's good that it will eventually boot though! It sounds like a bad hard drive is common with this model, and reminds me of the issues I had with my last laptop (where it ended up the motherboard parading as a bad hard drive). It sounds like Doug might know some better answers than I do. In the mean time, start backing up any important files if you haven't already just in case, and because it's good to do anyway (there's a lot of free places to upload files to  " the cloud" if you don't have writable DVDs on hand or an external hdd).

I do have writable DVDs and several flash drives and a 32 GB cards I only have 4 programs besides Windows stuff and not a lot of photos or videos I could move all my videos and photos to a card along with the downloaded exe.video production that leaves only my printer and webcam I think I will do that first and then delete every thing I dont need I can always plug in the card and load anything I want.

TIGLJK wrote:

I'm still plugging along with windows XP       untill it bombs -   I'll stay with what I'm comfortable with -   I hate  windows 8

got XP myself on a desktop Dell works great but slower on the internet.

my xp still works but not for youtube soundcloud things like that. Tha browser is way outdated. Yes windows 8 stinks I got at tablet with a version of it and sent it back in three days.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

mekidsmom wrote:
Zurf wrote:

And Window 10 is software as a service. It's free for the first year and carries an annual subscription fee after that. No thanks. That may be enough to push me to Apple or Linux.

Maybe.  Microsoft states “once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge.”  And "eventually" there will be no more numbers.  You'll just have "Windows" not "Windows 10" or "Windows 8.1" - at which point it sounds like it will transition to a subscription product (likely a paid subscription product as Zurf states).  However, this probably won't happen for a few years (each new release has been about 3 years - so you my guess is Windows 10 will be fine for 2-3 years).  My guess is that when it does, it will be priced comparably to outright buying an OS - for example, if you have Windows 7, you can upgrade to Windows 8.1 for a cost - or you can buy a new machine that includes Windows 8.1.  My thought is the subscription service will probably be "free with a new computer" for a year - or an upgrade you can purchase for a monthly or annual fee (no different in price than what you'd currently pay to upgrade now from 7 to 8).  Difference being that it'll probably only be good for a year rather than the typical 3 years between OS upgrades (hopefully this means it will be cheaper than an outright upgrade too).    Amy is that one with windows ten?

So - my thought is that it's not a new sneaky ploy, just a different way to go about upgrading - and pushing more people to upgrade (there's a lot of people still using Vista - crazy, but true). 

Of course, there's always a few options out there for free operating systems.  smile  True computer techies love them. 

big_smile In other news... I bought a new laptop yesterday!  I'm so happy to have a machine that works properly again!  Yay! big_smile

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Russell, have you installed anything new in the software department recently?  It kinda sounds like you have something hanging up while loading.... most likely not a driver as from what you are describing is after all the drivers have loaded.  So my guess is a file dependancy is missing a link and the application is having to "hunt" for a library in order for your desktop to load.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

My kid's computer was doing that. I found that cussing a lot then call7ng my friend Eric to help worked. Do you know Eric?

Actually, I used one of those registry tools that self-proclaimed experts have declared to be worthless, and it worked like a charm. The hard part was getting a bootable one to a thumb drive.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Doug_Smith wrote:

Russell, have you installed anything new in the software department recently?  It kinda sounds like you have something hanging up while loading.... most likely not a driver as from what you are describing is after all the drivers have loaded.  So my guess is a file dependancy is missing a link and the application is having to "hunt" for a library in order for your desktop to load.

Doug I only have 4 programs on my laptop a video editing,printer,webcam, and my avast anti virus which takes forever to boot even when the desktop comes on perhaps the new upgrade to win 10 will have its own anti virus and i can delete it

Russell_Harding wrote:
Doug_Smith wrote:

Doug I only have 4 programs on my laptop a video editing,printer,webcam, and my avast anti virus which takes forever to boot even when the desktop comes on perhaps the new upgrade to win 10 will have its own anti virus and i can delete it

Russell all the windows come with a windows protection,besides the 30 or 60 day Norton or whatevee yours came with. Maybe you can take avast down and try another free anti viris program. Try P.C. word for free programs etc. they may also help you with your problem. Some catch what others do not.

dino48 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:
Doug_Smith wrote:

Russell all the windows come with a windows protection,besides the 30 or 60 day Norton or whatevee yours came with. Maybe you can take avast down and try another free anti viris program. Try P.C. word for free programs etc. they may also help you with your problem. Some catch what others do not.

dino I was thinking along those lines AVG has a good free anti virus program

I hate to say it, Russell, and maybe Doug will correct me... but... in my experience, a good portion of the time the antivirus is the issue.  Avast, AVG, Kapersky, as well as what I refer to as the dreaded Norton and McAfee can cause issues.  I found that if you're not visiting websites aimed at risky behavior and you never ever fall for the advertisements that look like virus warnings, then you can get away fine with the free Windows antivirus (Windows Essentials has to be downloaded for yours, or Windows Defender comes pre-installed on Win 8).  Along with that, running the free version of Malwarebytes on occasion to take down anything little that does get through is good to do (don't install the full blown antivirus for purchase and don't agree to add the free trial of antivirus while installing.  I'm not saying it's bad.  I'm saying I don't endorse it.  Good surfing habits will keep you safer than any paid program).

If this issue started right after you installed your video software - it could be a problem with the software, or video drivers on the machine.  It doesn't sound like it, because it's happening at start up. 

OK - so at this point, I'm going to give you the suggestions of what I would personally do - and I also suggest FIRST waiting from Doug to hear what he thinks about it before moving forward.  I know a good deal of "stuff" but he has more "miles"  wink

1. download Malwarebytes - run it, remove crap and find out that your antivirus isn't doing you much good anyway  2. remove Avast 3. remove any other crapware on your computer that you don't use (like those Norton and McAffee trial software versions) 3. Download and run CC Cleaner Free (unless Doug thinks this is a no-no, but I like it - and JUST run the registry cleaner:  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download) - you'll need to run it a few times until it comes up clean  4. Download Microsoft Security Essentials for Win 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-se … tials.aspx)  and make sure it's enabled.  Run a scan to make it happy, even though you know it won't find anything because you already ran Malwarebytes forever ago.  smile  ** Now your computer should be clean and the most likely culprit removed as well as registry entries straightened out.  Reboot.  See if you still have the weird hanging upon booting up.  Cross fingers.

*Malwarebytes removes stuff that gets though.  It's awesome.  It doesn't block things from getting in though.  Antivirus blocks stuff from getting in.  Although you paid good money for it, Antivirus software sucks and doesn't block what it should.  CC-Cleaner helps make sure everything that you've removed gets removed properly - files needed and not needed to run programs are where they should be so that Windows doesn't have to hunt for them or hunt through useless ones.  It has functions to help clear browser history and cookies and such, and you can use those features if you want (which you can do manually as well), but for now just focus on the registry.

39 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-06-09 14:27:12)

mekidsmom wrote:

I hate to say it, Russell, and maybe Doug will correct me... but... in my experience, a good portion of the time the antivirus is the issue.  Avast, AVG, Kapersky, as well as what I refer to as the dreaded Norton and McAfee can cause issues.  I found that if you're not visiting websites aimed at risky behavior and you never ever fall for the advertisements that look like virus warnings, then you can get away fine with the free Windows antivirus (Windows Essentials has to be downloaded for yours, or Windows Defender comes pre-installed on Win 8).  Along with that, running the free version of Malwarebytes on occasion to take down anything little that does get through is good to do (don't install the full blown antivirus for purchase and don't agree to add the free trial of antivirus while installing.  I'm not saying it's bad.  I'm saying I don't endorse it.  Good surfing habits will keep you safer than any paid program).

If this issue started right after you installed your video software - it could be a problem with the software, or video drivers on the machine.  It doesn't sound like it, because it's happening at start up. 

OK - so at this point, I'm going to give you the suggestions of what I would personally do - and I also suggest FIRST waiting from Doug to hear what he thinks about it before moving forward.  I know a good deal of "stuff" but he has more "miles"  wink

1. download Malwarebytes - run it, remove crap and find out that your antivirus isn't doing you much good anyway  2. remove Avast 3. remove any other crapware on your computer that you don't use (like those Norton and McAffee trial software versions) 3. Download and run CC Cleaner Free (unless Doug thinks this is a no-no, but I like it - and JUST run the registry cleaner:  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download) - you'll need to run it a few times until it comes up clean  4. Download Microsoft Security Essentials for Win 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-se … tials.aspx)  and make sure it's enabled.  Run a scan to make it happy, even though you know it won't find anything because you already ran Malwarebytes forever ago.  smile  ** Now your computer should be clean and the most likely culprit removed as well as registry entries straightened out.  Reboot.  See if you still have the weird hanging upon booting up.  Cross fingers.

*Malwarebytes removes stuff that gets though.  It's awesome.  It doesn't block things from getting in though.  Antivirus blocks stuff from getting in.  Although you paid good money for it, Antivirus software sucks and doesn't block what it should.  CC-Cleaner helps make sure everything that you've removed gets removed properly - files needed and not needed to run programs are where they should be so that Windows doesn't have to hunt for them or hunt through useless ones.  It has functions to help clear browser history and cookies and such, and you can use those features if you want (which you can do manually as well), but for now just focus on the registry.

Amy I am willing to give it a try with malwarebytes I dont know about cc cleaner the laptop is only a little over 2 years old so it must already have the windows essentials but I have not seen them in my list of programs I deleted avast and installed Panda last night panda boots right away but the RST (rapid storage technology) boots slow and is always the last to load before I can open my email.

+1 on Amy's recommendations.  I have used different but similar tools with good results, and those are user "safe" as any out there.  If you have installed and uninstalled stuff over time I would likely expect registry errors, but even just updates can "snarffle" things up over time (2 years is a good run without having to fiddle with your Windows install).

Surely worth the effort Russell.  I should also add, that you are a cautious surfer, so security essentials would likely serve you well.  You have to manually allow the install to run from your "Windows software preferences (options)" as it does not automatically install itself (even though "crap-ware" does) when installing a new Windows OS.

Doug_Smith wrote:

+1 on Amy's recommendations.  I have used different but similar tools with good results, and those are user "safe" as any out there.  If you have installed and uninstalled stuff over time I would likely expect registry errors, but even just updates can "snarffle" things up over time (2 years is a good run without having to fiddle with your Windows install).

Surely worth the effort Russell.  I should also add, that you are a cautious surfer, so security essentials would likely serve you well.  You have to manually allow the install to run from your "Windows software preferences (options)" as it does not automatically install itself (even though "crap-ware" does) when installing a new Windows OS.

Doug I installed malwarebytes and it seems to have sped things up but I still have an issue with the pause before the blue welcome screen I could try C cleaner and see if it cleans the registry of long deleted programs that might have files still clogging up the works

Russell I just talked to my sister she had the same problem awile back and found out It was a bad graphics card in the computer.

dino48 wrote:

Russell I just talked to my sister she had the same problem awile back and found out It was a bad graphics card in the computer.

Thanks dino for the info I will check and see what it cost to replace it smile

My sister is a combuter programer and a Systems anlyst. That was just a guess for her at a distance,so she may be wrong.

dino48 wrote:

My sister is a combuter programer and a Systems anlyst. That was just a guess for her at a distance,so she may be wrong.

the only thing wrong with this is on a Dell you cant replace the graphics card you have to replace the whole mother board so it is cheaper to buy a new computer

Ouch!!!!!!!!!

You did say it was a laptop right?  And yes that would have "integrated" graphics unlike desktops that usually have an PCIE socket for installing an "upgrade" video card.  Once in awhile you can get a corrupt driver though, which will sure act like a failing graphics chip.  I know that HP had a whole batch of theirs come out of the factory with bad solder on the graphics "board" (not really a board per se)..... I had one of them and wound up having to buy a new mainboard (with the defect corrected), cost about $100 and a couple hours of tedious work to dismantle the thing and get it changed out.
Naturally it was out of warranty by the time it manifested. Been working great ever since!

Doug_Smith wrote:

You did say it was a laptop right?  And yes that would have "integrated" graphics unlike desktops that usually have an PCIE socket for installing an "upgrade" video card.  Once in awhile you can get a corrupt driver though, which will sure act like a failing graphics chip.  I know that HP had a whole batch of theirs come out of the factory with bad solder on the graphics "board" (not really a board per se)..... I had one of them and wound up having to buy a new mainboard (with the defect corrected), cost about $100 and a couple hours of tedious work to dismantle the thing and get it changed out.
Naturally it was out of warranty by the time it manifested. Been working great ever since!

Doug how do I find out if I have a corrupt driver, take it in to a repair shop?

Did you run CC Cleaner on the registry yet Russell?  That will remove unneeded files left over from removing programs, which might resolve issues.  A LOT of junk gets left over when you uninstall stuff, and it can really mess with start up.

Graphics was something I thought of a few posts ago, and may have mentioned... but I'd do everything else before going there.  Don't forget, run CC Cleaner to clear up registry files a few times.  It doesn't always get everything in one go.

Next step, check Dell - They have a driver update utility that you can download to make life easier and ensure your drivers are up to date (or search manually and just download the drivers you need, if you know what you need wink ) here:  http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturer … -n5050/318 

Let us know how it's coming along.  smile

Russell_Harding wrote:
dino48 wrote:

the only thing wrong with this is on a Dell you cant replace the graphics card you have to replace the whole mother board so it is cheaper to buy a new computer

I hope my sisters wrong and something else will work out the problem.