Topic: My Amazon Review Of Dylan's Latest CD "Shadows In The Night"

"Oh Bob, What Have You Done?" or "Please Bob, Don't Hurt Me No More!"

=============================================

Oh my god, Bob!!!!! I *KNOW* this was a "paying tribute" album of sorts, but I mean DAMN! Did you INSIST on leaving those off-key passages in there over your producer's objections???

I love you, man, and I'm not just saying that (my impression of two guys in a bar, one of them on a "cryin' drunk"). I was right there with you when you went electric and when y'all did "Big Pink"; with you when you did your (IMO) masterpiece, "Blood On The Tracks" and I was there when you added country music to your considerable repertoire. I was even there when you recorded "Christmas In The Heart". At first I went "Huh?" when I read that you'd done it, but after listening to it a few times, I took it for what it was: a very sweet "present" to your fans from you.

But this? I'm looking at the cd cover as I write and I'm lamenting that with the exception of "Autumn Leaves" and "That Lucky Old Sun", I went "Huh?" again, followed by, "Damn, Bob."

I have to ask: Are *you* lamenting too?

I read in AARP you were giving away 50,000 cd's to be mailed along with the magazine. Since I subscribe, I was looking forward to getting one. I didn't, of course and wound up ordering it here (Amazon) instead. I didn't mind spending the money and as I mentioned previously, I love you, man.

No, despite what you may be thinking (if you even read this), I don't want a refund. That cd is going into my special leather cd "wallet" containing nothing but your work and stamped with your name on the front. And I won't cringe when one of my friends asks to hear it. Not even a little.

So what am I gonna do, Bob? I don't like the album and the folks reading this review are already cracking their knuckles, ready to hit the keys and barbecue my sorry ass for NOT liking it. But I can't help it, from musician to musician, this one didn't make the (my) cut.

But....... I love you, man.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: My Amazon Review Of Dylan's Latest CD "Shadows In The Night"

Never did care for his originals.  He's a prolific song-writer, but a lot of his songs never made a lick of sense to me.  That'd be OK if the musicianship was strong enough, but by and large they're campfire strummers (even the electric work).  All in all, I'd rather play a Dirty Ed album again than listen to Dylan. 

I do like it when people cover Dylan's better songs.  In a long career of prolific song-writing, he has written a lot of good songs.  But, when mixed in with the other songs that are so-so on an album, I'm just not that into it.  I never really did see the appeal of Dylan when there are so many local singer-songwriters out there performing in bars and producing what I consider to be much better music. 

I did enjoy Ramblin' Jack Elliott's quote when asked how he managed to sound so much like Dylan; "I've been sounding like Dylan for 20 years, and he's only been playing for five.  You figure it out." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

As usual, I agree with Zurf.

I love Dylan's music, but can only handle a few songs at a time. He wouldn't make it on American Idol, but he is what he is.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I love Dylan's music, but can only handle a few songs at a time. He wouldn't make it on American Idol, but he is what he is.

ditto

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman