1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-15 10:10:37)

Topic: EPL Soccer - 2015/2016 Season

I note that Bill mentioned soccer (or more properly, football) in another thread, so maybe he and I aren't the only fans.

I've been a follower of the English Premier League for decades, and also coached a good run of U18 Boys soccer here in the Valley for 9 years. We tried many systems over the years, but the standard 4-4-2 alignment was consistently the most balanced. Soccer is IMHO the "team sport of all team sports", and perhaps the least expensive one to put your youngsters in at a local level.

My team has always been Manchester United, and am hoping that the Louis Van Gaal era will become the stuff of legend that they were under Sir Alex Ferguson. My brother (the drummer) is a Liverpool fan, so we have lots of debates along with some friendly fire from time to time. My guys undeservedly won their season opener against Tottenham last week ... the Spurs were the better team. And they squeaked out an ugly win against Aston Villa on Friday ... a "W" is a "W" any way it comes.

http://rs1282.pbsrc.com/albums/a525/paintingrainbowskies/manutd.gif~c200

Do we have any other soccer/football fans amongst us?

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-15 10:19:33)

Re: EPL Soccer - 2015/2016 Season

Well, TF: Looks like it's just the ONE of us!  smile smile

Sorry, Hamburg!

http://www.fcbayern.de/en/

Good thing we're not in the same Liga. Now THAT one I would get up anytime of the night for!

I don't know how to make the FC BAYERN MUNICH logo. Sorry.

Bill

EDITED TO ADD: Whatta ya mean "squeaked"? They "SQUEALED" that one outta there, but yah, a win is a win my friend.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

One MORE reason to love my freunde hier!

My bud TF will know the name of this famous famous Fussballer!....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsXOKOzmHtI

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-15 13:36:01)

Herr Rudi Voeller was one of the greats, for sure, although I can't make out the lyrics. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut, und Ich habe alles vergessen ... schade. I took German in university, and could carry a conversation at one time; but without practice, it's now gone. I consider Bayern Munich's Frank Ribery to be one of the best attacking midfielders in the game. Here's their team crest:

http://www.fcbayern.de/media/images/fcb-social-media/fcbayern_social.png

Under Van Gaal, ManU made it back into Champions League status for this season, so I'm sure we'll see a good tilt between BM & ManU sometime this year. I'm sure some of our Chordians from the UK will join this thread, and I for one am looking forward to their insights.

A great 3-1 win for Man United against Brugge this afternoon in UEFA Champions League, played before 82,000 fans at their sold-out Old Trafford field. Memphis Depay scored two, in both cases leaving several Brugge defenders in the dust as he blew by them and hammered it home:

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/C5D5/production/_85054605_depay_getty.jpg

With 65% of ball possession, and 19 attempts at goal, the margin of victory could easily have been larger.

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-19 00:19:45)

Grats, my friend! Well, we have "The Kaiser", Ollie Kahn and Bastian Schweinsteiger (lord what a name), whom I consider three of  my favorite
players, two goalies and one midfielder, not all playing in present time, of course. smile

Thanks for putting up my crest for me, valued friend!

[singing] "One Rudi Voeller, there's only one Rudi Voeller. One Rudi Voeoeoeoeoller. There's only one Rudy Voeller.[/singing]. The tune that is used as the base is "Guantanamera" (Spanish for "Hey, lady! Don't slip on that banana pe---------!") .

Jokingly,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Wellllll.........hold on there cowboys - you are not alone........

I played soccer for many years
Collegiate level at East Stroudsburg University ( goalie on my team was Bob Rigby- Cover of Sports Illustrated when drafted by Philadelphia Atoms.  The Coach of the Atoms ( AL Miller lived up the street from me - I dated his daughter for 6 years:0))
Played for Pocono Snow FC , Worthy Brothers FC( out of Philly) and the Delaware Wings in old ASL.  Iwas also selected to play on the National HOF Team out of Oneonta NY ( where the Hall of Fame was located at the tiem)

I have coached soccer at high school since 1976
Been to the NYS Championships 3 times.

I am a soccer junkie as well -  My European Team has been Liverpool.
I got to meet Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler in person last summer.
Beckenbauer - der Kaiser was always one of my favorites.   
I was at Meadowlands Stadium ( in 1977 or 78 ) when he , Pele, Chianalia, George Best and so many other great players all played for NY Cosmos - crowd that day was over 78,000.

My Father - played for the Kearney ( NJ) Scots)  for $ 38 a game - my mom told me it was more than he made in a week at his plant ( early 1940's)

It still continues - as today, I was coaching 22 girls ( high school soccer) -- my 35th year at my school - and I still love every second of it.

Sooooooo   TF and Bill - you are not alone  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-19 03:35:37)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN1yxax448

Just in fun, Jim, but wow! What a fine looking sports CV! You must be very proud of your history; I know I would be.

If I may, can I show an excerpt from my memoirs?

============================================

When we emigrated from Germany, I was told by my Dad that I could "go out" for football, as the following week the teams would be chosen, an A and a B team.

As I walked onto the field, imagine my surprise (I was only 11) when I saw  like 25 boys wearing what looked like back and/or shoulder braces under their shirts. Oh man! I instantly felt sorrow and pride for them, but as I began to see more of them entering the field, I began to wonder if I were at the wrong school?

I began to walk towards the coach to explain when something hit my foot. I looked down, and there it was, the thing that was the portent of 7 tears of pure hell for me: The American Football.

"Hey, kid! Throw it back!", came a voice from my right.

I picked up the ball, turned it over in my hands, wondered what had happened to it and how to throw it, when the sun suddenly eclipsed on me. I had been pushed down from behind by the master architect of those seven years - David P: School Bully........

========================================

So that was my introduction to American football and the American football. big_smile big_smile

And welcome to our own little thread, TIG! I look forward to interacting with both of you, but I only follow FC Bayern - M

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-19 10:16:41)

Awesome ... TIG is a foot-baller!

TIG ... you and my brother would get along famously (also a Mersey-sider) but I probably couldn't stand being the same room with you both! LOLOL Nice to see both of our teams start the season with 6-points each.

I was also a keeper, but not very good at it. I never had a well-developed instinct for knowing when / when not to come off my line to challenge a shooter, and was often exploited because of it. It was just High School level, and that's as far as I went as a player.

Bill ... your guys have already qualified for the Group Stage, which ManU will have to seal with a victory or tie at Brugge. Once we get to the 32-team Group Stage, the fun really begins. I was delighted to see Schweinsteiger come to ManU this summer, to strengthen the midfield from a tactical viewpoint. That must have been quite a shock for you, to learn in that way that the term "football" could be used of two completely different games.

European Football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_mX6pUYw0

American Football:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xus57BaY3hI

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Should be a good tilt tomorrow between the Gunners and the boys from Anfield.

My ManU guys put on a decent performance today, but the goal-less draw was not what they deserved for their efforts. A couple of key saves from Krul, a couple of poor officiating calls, and a couple of selfish decisions from Memphis ... but otherwise they dominated the game.

Hey TF,

From what I hear on ESPN, your boys have a way of bouncing back.

As for me, I was a benchwarmer much of the time, and made neither team A nor B. Finally joined the concert, and then the marching band. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

13 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-24 10:07:38)

Good luck to you Mersey-Siders today against Arsenal ... should be a great match. Here's a song to lead into the game from Pink Floyd's 1971 album "Meddle". The song features the fans at Anfield singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in the background, and it's properly called "Fearless":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM1a7vojSCQ

http://assets.lfcimages.com/images/international/thumb-no-image-3.jpg

14 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-24 10:26:14)

It was aggravating to watch Wayne Rooney called "offside" for his goal on Saturday, when he clearly wasn't. When Januzaj played the ball through to him, he was obviously a half-step onside ... yet the goal was disallowed.

Do you think video replay should be employed in the EPL, to allow managers to challenge such calls?

It's hard to fault the officials, who see these plays once in real time, and they are human. But when a decision affects the outcome of a game - as this one did - it seems to me a replay option needs consideration. We have it hockey, football, tennis, basketball, etc. ... why not soccer?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNAtYpKW8AA5TVl.jpg

Rooney And Man U ruled the pitch today !  Great effort.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TF - well, as a Brit, you won't be too surprised to hear that I'm another football fan. And it's not called soccer here! A fan, but not a fanatic. My team is Tottenham, just because as a youngster I really enjoyed seeing them on TV & their exciting style of play. Can't really get into this season as yet, as I am more of a cricket fan, but I'm sure I will!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Man U has re-entered the Champions League fray in decisive fashion. I couldn't be happier for skipper Wayne Rooney's hat trick, and the way his team mates worked together to dominate the match. Now that Rooney's got the taste for goals again, I kinda feel sorry for Swansea in this coming Sunday's match.

http://cdn1.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/article31481461.ece/434df/ALTERNATES/h342/2015-08-27_spo_12324452_I1.JPG

Good luck to the Spurs, Norm, as they take on Everton this weekend!

Norm, I agree that the name "Football" certainly makes way more sense than calling it "Soccer". The trouble with that on this side of "the pond" is that when one says "Football", just about every one of us immediately thinks of North American football, as played in the NFL or CFL. Not sure how that originated, and it really doesn't make much sense. In the N.A. Football game, only one or two guys on the team gets to actually kick the ball (punter & place-kicker), while in real football everyone uses their feet.

Oh well ... who ever said human beings made sense all the time? Football or soccer, it's still a beautiful game!

Some crazy & surprising results in the EPL yesterday:

Liverpool - 0 / West Ham - 3 (!!!)

Chelsea -1 / Crystal Palace - 2 (!!!!!)

ManU has to contain Gomis and the crew from Swansea today. I expect Chris Smalling will be assigned to shadow Gomis, and is probably the only guy on ManU who can do the job. The early season jitters are everywhere, except at Man City, it would seem ... dominant so far.

I enjoy seeing the lesser teams do well. As long as it's not against Spurs! Who look very unlikely to ever score a goal...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

I hear you, Norm ...

Nice to see the lower ranked teams do well against top flight teams, except when they beat our favorite team, like Swansea did to ManU yesterday. I'm a little concerned that Van Gaal considers ball possession to be the measuring stick of dominance. He somehow hasn't injected any sense of urgency into his squad, making them easy to defend against at this level. Further, with a 215.8m payroll versus Swansea's 48.1m, one would expect higher performance from players of that calibre. Here's the EPL's pay scale chart for this year:

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/engli … b-by-club/

But it's always good to see Chelsea beaten. Mourinho is SO arrogant, and annoyingly good-looking...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Of course you've seen the send ups of Jose on SETANTA's "Special 1 TV" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6YcdWIPhM

No EPL this weekend, while the Europa League play is on, and UEFA Champions league coming this week. Really looking forward to the match between ManU and PSV Eindhoven on Tuesday.

Wayne Rooney scored his 50th goal in an England jersey today, making him the country's all-time leading scorer in international competition. I quit work early today to watch the UEFA match against Switzerland, and am glad I did. If Swiss goalkeeper had got more of his hand on it, the shot likely would have broke his wrist ... Rooney hammered it!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/COaNsK5UEAIIN9S.jpg

The big change in strategy was when Manager Roy Hodgson took off midfielder Shelvey for forward Harry Kane (who also scored) effectively moving from a 4-5-1- shape to 4-4-2. I hate the single striker formation. It just allows the opposition to "park the bus" defensively, and wait for a break to counter attack. Boring football to watch, and not very effective at creating holes in the opposition's defense.

Louis Van Gaal ... were you watching!?!?