Topic: whatmakes a hit?

ok so I been hitting the pickle juice and musicating (thinking) , I have been posting songs here for a few months now because I wanted the opinions of someone other than friends and family on my song writing.( which by the way the way I feel like I have made a lot of new friends here). my pickle juice induced observations are this ,some of the songs that I thought were really good got the fewest comments some that I thought were so so seem to be the most liked by others. go figure. ok my glass is empty curious to hear others thoughts on this while refill my glass

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: whatmakes a hit?

You got my attention with that last song. I must admit that I haven't listened your others but you can bet I'll listen in the morning with a fresh pot of coffee.
I don't profess to be a any kind of big deal or music expert. I love music and am grateful to be able to strum some chords and sing in key most of the time.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

Mojo
I`m with you on this one,often i write a song & think(foolishly)
hey thats not bad,so i put it out there because i`m kinda proud of it.
I`ve got a couple of friends that say kind things,but at the end of the day
nobody else likes it.
Not to worry though i`m having a ball and i guess thats what it`s all about.
If one person likes it, thats a real bonus, it`s all been worth while.
good luck & keep writing! keep the pickle juice flowing.

The King Of Audio Torture

IMO, a hook makes a hit, but then you have to make sure to go back over the rest of the text and make sure that everything you wrote leads up to that hook and makes it vaild. Running parallell is the music itself.

Here's some inspirational music for my pal Mo'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmsLe8t_gg

smile smile smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Mojo,  I agree with Bill. The " Hook" is what draws people into the song. It's snappy, catchy, easy to remember and sticks in your head. I  have  the same questions about why some of my less favorite songs are liked but the better ones are not. It's about what other people connect to in your songs. No two people think exactly the same, you just seemed to hit a spot with one song or another. It's like when you are playing a gig and you get requests for songs that are all over the board or by folks you never heard of.
But, they do connect to your songs and that's good. It just goes to show the ones you don't think aren't very good are good to someone else. Keep writing , that's the only way a real Gem with surface.

Joe

Trite lyrics and marketing dollars?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Trite lyrics and marketing dollars?

Ditto!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

8 (edited by easybeat 2015-09-10 23:56:41)

Mojo
sorry i may have been off subject on my reply.
for a hit song there is a FORMULA  obviously i haven`t a clue what it is though.

The King Of Audio Torture

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-09-11 00:24:05)

The majority of humans don't play a musical instrument, and some of us that do don't have a deep understanding of the structure of music itself.

So anything that's called "music" which is created for the masses has to have elements which they can relate to. It can't really be instrumental skill, creative counterpoint, multi-level harmonies, etc. The majority of people understandably wouldn't understand what they are listening to. That leaves a catchy piece of lyric, an easy-to-remember riff of a few notes, an infectious beat, or a theme which tugs at a pre-determined emotion in order to make appealing.

Then we have the making of a "hit" within the pop music industry, which Pink Floyd's song "Have a Cigar" parodies quite well. A producer and a would-be star come up with catchy thing they call a hit. They buy a contract with a radio network to play it ad infinitum, ad nauseum and promote it to the public as the latest hit from whomever. It's almost like an infomercial. This creates recording sales and concert bookings, and the "star" starts to make some money. If they've got some "shtick" to their performance (mostly looks & attitude) they will continue to make sales. It's a marketing ploy at it's base, and it's the image of the performer and their performance becomes the centre-piece, never the actual music. They're rarely called musicians, and usually referred to as "recording artists" ... an honest admission.

So that's the long way of saying, that the vast majority of humans wouldn't know truly good music if it hit them in the face. Personally, if I ever wrote & performed something that became a "hit", I'd be wondering what I did wrong ... seriously!

^^^^^^^ Best explanation I've ever read. Tops all of them. Thanks, TF! This needs to go into Songwriter Magazine. If such a thing exists in your area.^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations, my friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I had this discussion with my guitar playing buddy tonight, he goes with the catchy tune and hook theory, but I think funsters point has a lot of merit. I pointed out that any artist with a following could take a song that he or I wrote and make a hit with it. for instanced jimmy buffet could record a song from chordie and parrot heads would buy it just because jimmy recorded it. have you listened to country music lately? there are songs here ten times better than what's being passed as country music. because as funster points out they have the platform to sell it.

bottom line for me is I have zero musical training, no idea how a song  should be structured other than what I have heard on the radio my whole life.  so I write songs that I like and sound good to me.  some with a hook some with out. and now my pickle jar is empty so until my next post

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Dirty Ed has twenty songs, at least, better than any of the songs that get airplay on our local radio station. His first song, Bluestone, could have been his last and he'd still have written a better song.

I know a song writer locally who does nothing but goofy little ditties that he posts to the internet to build a following so that he can work in more serious stuff later. He's already got thousands of followers writing one dimensional songs, so the idea of having fans sure does work.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I recall hearing the Jethro Tull album "Stand Up" at a buddy's house when I was around 12 years old. It belonged to his older brother, and I had just started dabbling with the guitar a few years earlier. The quality of the music stood out against what was playing on AM radio in those days, and ever since I've never looked to the radio to tell me what was good music. What I've heard from most of the Chordie family blows way the tripe on the pop music stations. The radio is something I turn on for news and weather, but never for music.

How would we ever have heard of The Beatles without it and how would they ever have been as popular, TF?

Maybe i"m missing the point?

I miss it a lot, these days. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Zurf wrote:

Dirty Ed has twenty songs, at least, better than any of the songs that get airplay on our local radio station. His first song, Bluestone, could have been his last and he'd still have written a better song.

I know a song writer locally who does nothing but goofy little ditties that he posts to the internet to build a following so that he can work in more serious stuff later. He's already got thousands of followers writing one dimensional songs, so the idea of having fans sure does work.

Thank you for the complements and kind words Zurf.  Over the years I've found different songs "resonate" with different people.  If I asked others who have heard me play my songs to make a list of 20 of their favorites, I'm sure the lists would be completely different. That's what so great about music - we all have our own tastes and favorite genres. Each genre having its own "style" which appeals to the listener.

Even if given a lot of air play, I doubt if a song that is not well-written will ever be a "hit". Fans of the singer/group that wrote it may listen to it, but they know its not the artist's best work.  The performers that stay at the top of their profession utilize the works of other songwriters to provide the gems which keep their fans buying tickets and merchandise. So what constitutes a "hit" song?

In my opinion its "prosody" - all four parts of a song's architecture working together.  The Rhythm (speed, 3/4 or 4/4 time, etc), Harmony (chord progression), Melody (what you would whistle after hearing the song) and Lyrics.  If just one of these areas is weak, the song seems to lack something. But when all four parts are well done they complement each other and work to make the song more than the sum of its parts. I think striving to reach that goal is what keeps us constantly writing new songs and trying to improve.  I admire those who seem to have the knack of cranking out great songs. The rest of us may not have that talent but just as writers/novelists have the need to write, we have the need to produce our own original music.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

To go off topic here a little - or maybe back onto a portion of the original topic - As far as Chordie's forums go... I don't honestly visit the songwriting section much.  Once a month or every other month or so, I may decide to sit down and go through songs posted in that section. Usually though, I pass by posts in there just because Chordie is a quick stop for me while I'm perusing the internet.  I stop in here to do my "moderation" thing, see what everyone's up to, say HI, and move on.  I generally stop in before I start work or right after, and work involves using this same laptop for hours at a time.  I generally do NOT have the laptop open with a guitar in my hand.  Guitar time is "me" time - unless I've planned for "us" time (skype, backyard gathering, making the choice to wade through the songwriting section, etc).

What I'm trying to say here is - don't judge your songs based on the amount of feedback you receive here.  Myself as an example, some people simply may not post on your songs because they just didn't have time to really give them the attention and thought that they deserve. 

As a side note - YOUR songs have sparked an interest and are on my mental list of posts to go through in that section when I have some extra time on my hands.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

How would we ever have heard of The Beatles without it and how would they ever have been as popular, TF?

Maybe i"m missing the point?

I miss it a lot, these days. smile

Bill

That's a great observation, Bill.

I think we'd agree that radio has changed a lot since The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Neil young, Bread, The Doors, Elvis, etc. were making way for themselves. The "star maker machinery" (Joni Mitchell) captured the potential for this influence, and have been able to commercialize it to where we are 50 years later. The bands mentioned above were a welcome relief, against the backdrop of disco music, Bay City Rollers, and the majority of airplay during the 70's.