Topic: Burning Ring Of Fire

Hi Guys

Im trying to find the correct chord progression for Burning Ring Of Fire by Social Distortion.  The chord progresion on the Johnny Cash version during the verse is G - C - G.  The Social Distortion version (according to numerous sites on the internet) is shown as Bb - F - Bb.  If this was transposed to G this would then be G - D - G. 

Can anyone advise me as to whether the Social Distortion version should really be Bb - Eb - Bb (if it was to mirror the Johnny Cash version, or do they just choose to play it differently?

Many thanks

Lou

Re: Burning Ring Of Fire

Welcome, Lou. The song is your basic I - IV - V progression and the right key would be the same as the person singing. In Johnny Cash's version it's G - C in the verse then goes to C - D - G in the chorus. In the other version you mentioned it's F - Bb - F in the verse, then C - Bb - F in the chorus. So, make it your own, determine your singing voice key and stay with a I - IV - V progression and you will be ok.

Nela

Hi Nela

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate the point about changing the key to suit your voice. 

Where I dont follow you is in relation to the chord progression.  Surely G - C - G  is a I - IV - I  progression? (I - IV - V would be G - C - D surely?) 

The crux of my query is that the Johnny Cash version is a I - IV - I progression (G - C - G) whereas the Social Distortion version is a I - VI - I progression (Bb - F - Bb) and what Id like to know is is this correct, or has it been wrongly tabbed?

Thanks again

Lou

Lou I think you're missing a couple chords in there.

The Johnny Cash version is I IV I (first line of the verse) to I V I (second line of the verse)

Chorus is V IV I twice then V I twice.

Social D plays the chords exactly as written by Johnny but perhaps transposed for Mike Ness' voice. Here's a link:
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/john … re_crd.htm

Also just a note on the above, Bb F Bb is a I V I, not a I VI I.

Hi Baldguitardude

Many thanks for your reply - that all makes sense to me.

Point also noted about F being V in the key of Bb - my mistake.

Many thanks

Lou

My pleasure sir!