1 (edited by easybeat 2016-03-30 14:25:49)

Topic: Under The Bridge

Under The Bridge

When i walked under the bridge today
As i was heading home
When looking up underneath
I just happened to see
Two words in red paint
unmistakable graffitti
It saddened me to read those words
Painted probably
By a younger hand
I wondered who took the time
Must have known pain and dispair
`Abandon Hope` it read
The message was all too clear!

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Under The Bridge

Totally different than the other Under The Bridge I've heard before. Good work!

That really hits. Well done. 

As you drive around Seattle you see homeless city's under bridges, tents in the grassy medians between I-5 and Seattle.  and you just know there are kids having to live that life.  not all druggies and alcoholics.  It hurts to drive through there.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

"Abandon Hope" is probably one of the most profoundly sad things I've read in a while... just those two little words.  It's almost ironic though.  Someone that would write those words must have a hair of hope left to be thinking clearly enough to write them.  I hope.

A few simple lines, yet a profound image painted.  Well written.  Thank you for making me think this morning.  The ideas rolling in my head right now make me want to write a song!  I probably won't, but thank you all the same for inspiration!  smile 

Never... ever... abandon hope!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

That is just EXCELLENT  Easybeat !!
[This would be a great place for Zurf's or Roger's ( I forget who posted them) Minions clapping !!]

I just had this conversation yesterday with my students about how tough life is for some people and how their lives are sitting on the edge of  very fragile support.
And that in our busy lives it's easy to forget them and take for granted the goodness of our own more fortunate lives. A phrase "Abandon Hope"  as such ,reminds us of the need for compassion and the need for acts of kindness - not just lip service.
As Beamer said, Seattle has many homeless - my daughter lived there and when I went out I can verify his observations.  I was actually shocked this year in my own school - I have taught there since 1980, it is very rural and everybody knows everybody, but for the first time ever - i have not one, but three homeless students in my classes.  And as I watched the Republicans shameful debates, Cruz and Trump  talk about each others wives and sexual sizes instead of issues that affect lives of our citizenry.  The stupid media fuels it as well, by asking those stupid questions about such stuff instead of asking - what is your specific plan to help the homeless ?, What is you r specific plan to deal with the drug epidemic ? ( although they would respond to that by saying " build a wall - it's the immigrants fault') or "Instead of building a wall, do you have a plan to build  hospitals  for veterans and  care centers & services for people with dementia and Alzheimers and their families?

Anyway - sorry about the rant - don't mean to detract from your beautifully written and poignant poem - but as you can see it struck a nerve !
Well done !
Thanks

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

It must be disheartening for the the  increasing number of young people who have studied hard to improve their lifes stuck working on minimum wage jobs due to lack of opportunity. Fast Food shops and other global franchises full  of qualified people who studied hard to pass exams unable  to  use their qualifications stuck in low paid jobs. The other side is also those young people who dont have qualification but are prepared to work hard  if they could get a job. I agree with Jim a beautifully writen piognant poem. EB you have got us all thinking.

as i read i envisioned a high bridge with iron work so the graphite ist could have a platform to work from. then after thinking about it for a while i thought it might be a low bridge? so he could work from ground level.

very deep and very sad and most of all, well observed

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

A thought provoking poem easybeat and as already been mentioned,  never "abandon hope" ........ makes you hope the person who wrote that has found Hope again in their life.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan