Topic: What's everyones favourite and least favourite genres of music?

I'm fairly open minded in music but I can't stand heavy metal, thrash metal,  gothic metal, death metal, and other metals. I'm the only person out of my friends who likes classical Spannish music (such as flamenco), which my guitar teacher introduced to me kindly.

Thanks for any comments,

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: What's everyones favourite and least favourite genres of music?

I'd pretty much agree with you on this one. I guess the simple answer is that any genre is good, it's the quality of the musicianship and the songwriting that matters.

I did see Metallica playing at the recent Live Earth gig and I thought, my god what an unholy racket! So I suppose that metal isn't my thing either.

But how would you categorize Led Zeppelin, because I love that band?

By the way, I thought I hated all rap music as well until my eighteen year old daughter started playing me some of the good stuff.

I dont care for metal either, nor rap. I love the blues, old country, quality rock and actually a wide variety of as acmecorp put it quality musicianship and songwriting that matters type music. Led Zepplin definitely falls into that category

what a long strange trip it's been

acmecorp wrote:

I'd pretty much agree with you on this one. I guess the simple answer is that any genre is good, it's the quality of the musicianship and the songwriting that matters.

I did see Metallica playing at the recent Live Earth gig and I thought, my god what an unholy racket! So I suppose that metal isn't my thing either.

But how would you categorize Led Zeppelin, because I love that band?

By the way, I thought I hated all rap music as well until my eighteen year old daughter started playing me some of the good stuff.

Hmmm... Led Zeppelin are probably Rock/ Hard Rock. Thanks for your reply!

cool
okay??

Like Patrick Jaques I love the blues and older country. Cant get into rap or hip hop. Also love classic rock.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

Hi ALL

Hmmm.....
  I cant understand what wrong is in metals or hip hops.
I think every music genre has their best compositions.

Linkin park is a newage band but if you listen to NUMB it will feel real goood.

or dont you wanna listen Nothing Else Matters by METTALICA?

I love all these and for Metalz, you will find those rather hard to play

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

Hi krishanu, I gave Nothing Else Matters a listen and was pleasantly surprised.

I am always open to any suggestions for new stuff to listen to, thanks for the idea.

If you like rap, what do think of Jay-Z ? , I think 99 problems is an awesome track. (Be warned of the language, 18 certificate)

cheers

David

acmecorp wrote:

Hi krishanu, I gave Nothing Else Matters a listen and was pleasantly surprised.

I am always open to any suggestions for new stuff to listen to, thanks for the idea.

If you like rap, what do think of Jay-Z ? , I think 99 problems is an awesome track. (Be warned of the language, 18 certificate)

cheers

David

As if any teens heed the 18 year old warning stuff

I had to say it to cover my ass, I wouldn't like parents to think I'm trying to corrupt their offspring smile

Umm..

My favorite is definetely Christian contemporary/soft rock.
Casting Crowns!!!!!!!

I can't stand alot of music, such as any metal, rap, ( this is just my opinion but rap is just people who don't have enough talent to sing. I don't want to start a debate, but that's my opinion. Can't stand it), and like screamo and stuff.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

11 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-07-19 12:10:01)

I am very open minded about music.
I dont think I can say there is one genre of music which I can catagorilly say I do not like.
but, I do hate dance music, rave music etc, even though I do like the prodigy and they I think are classed as dance, hmmm, maybe wrong?
I used to say I hated rap but I love eminem, dont like anyone else on that scene.

I dont like death metal but there are few song I do like.
I do love folk, rock and traditional mostly.
Blues is ok but too much is depressing ( in my view)
even some big band music and opera is not bad

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

I'm fairly open minded in music but I can't stand heavy metal, thrash metal,  gothic metal, death metal, and other metals. I'm the only person out of my friends who likes classical Spannish music (such as flamenco), which my guitar teacher introduced to me kindly.

Thanks for any comments,

Will

I also am right with you there about spanish flamenco and stuff.
I play classical as well as acoustic, and I am hopefully just about to start learning that.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

13 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-19 12:13:16)

I used to agree with you, but listening to Jay-Z, I realized that he was actually articulating the problems of black American kids being harrassed by the law. Whether he can 'sing' or not is a value judgement. The fact that he's saying something worth saying is the crux of the matter.

cheers

David

(this was an answer to KramL, sorry should have quoted)

I also love the classical stuff and am not fond of metal. Although I do like "enter the sandman" by Metallica. What genre would Live be? I always thought they were hard rock. I don't like country, except for Johnny Cash.

i tihnk if ye like johnny cash ye will like John Prine.

I have had....not an argument but a....not even a debat.... a..... do not know what to call it, was not a debate as my wife said nothing back.

When I played a John Prine song, she said it was country and western. I say tis NOt.

I see country music as american folk and country and western like garth brooks, dolly parton etc completely different.

So, I need help from people nearer to this than me, American people, what is the answer?
is american folk, country and country and western all different styles of music.

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i'm not familiar with john prine but i'll check it out. i think u hit the nail on the head with the country. i like the folk stuff but not the whole dolly parton,garth brooks...etc stuff. b4 i get hate mail, i'm sure they're good artists, just not my thing. i really prefer the darker,moody sounds...great 2 play on my cello.

I listen to all sorts of music - its all vaguely centred around electric guitar - but I will listen to  acoustic blues, folk  etc.

I don't like gangster rap but I'm a middle class white man so I'm probably not meant to.

I don't like shred or most metal. Not because its too noisy but because its so pretentious. all that sweep picking, tapping, modes and bach. its sooo boring.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments so far, they were all very interesting.

Will

cool
okay??

I think that what you like has a lot to do with (1) what you heard most during your "formative years", and (2) what station in life you occupy at the time.  For me, #1 was 70's-80's rock, with a little folk and classical included.  I hated country, liked but just couldn't get into R&B, and wouldn't have known world music from anything.  Add 20 years, and now it's 70's-80's rock, with a little of everything under the sun included.  I'm listening (and trying to play!) more Woody Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Lead Belly and Hank Williams (I) than I ever thought I'd care to, and I'm also listening to Beck, Nine Inch Nails, A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, Brazilian folk, West African and klezmer--sometimes even a little polka.

I also think that every style of music has its good and bad points, and (as with most things in life) most practitioners only get to a level of comfort and stay there, as opposed to truly excelling.  That's why when I turn past a country station, I can't stay there for more than 30 seconds, unless they're playing something that is either really innovative or classic.  Since I'm more comfortable with rock, I can leave the station on the local modern/alternative station without changing it, even when the songs start to sound the same.

Hope this makes some sense; hope all of your horizons expand over time faster than your waistlines.

I like a lot of music...I don't like rap though...My favorite genres of music are rock, alternative and some punk...Some of my favorite bands (some people might not have heard of) are Evanescence, Linkin Park, Within Temptation, MCR (My Chemical Romance), AFI (A Fire Inside), The Used, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, Rise Against, Billy Talent, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Sum 41, Faber Drive, Ten Second Epic, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Cancer Bats and Social Code....there might be more but it's too much to write...so...yeah

Rock on!

Hey Samantha...I think you and I would get along!- some great tunes.  I especially love My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy,  and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

As far as my favorite genres...I don't really have a favorite and least favorite genre.  I, very literally, listen to a little bit of everything.  I really am into the indie music scene right now.  There is so much great music out there that hasn't been heard on the radio.  There's a great site out there, now, called ilike.com that lets you join and list your favorite songs and get and give recommendations to others.  If anyone is on there, let me know!  We can be music pals.

I can sit for hours listening to unsigned artists on Garageband.com, too.  I don't really judge a song by its' genre.  I think I judge on a case-by-case basis.  There are some rap songs I even like.  Right now, my favorite artists of the moment are Schuyler Fisk, Joshua Radin (if you like Simon & Garfunkel or Elliot Smith, check him out!), Josh Woodward, Metric, Rachael Yamagata, Sia, and a lot of the newer punk bands.  There's actually a lot of great music out right now...and I haven't even heard half of it!

22 (edited by Altex 2007-07-25 07:20:49)

upyerkilt wrote:

I am very open minded about music.
I dont think I can say there is one genre of music which I can catagorilly say I do not like.
but, I do hate dance music, rave music etc, even though I do like the prodigy and they I think are classed as dance, hmmm, maybe wrong?
I used to say I hated rap but I love eminem, dont like anyone else on that scene.

I dont like death metal but there are few song I do like.
I do love folk, rock and traditional mostly.
Blues is ok but too much is depressing ( in my view)
even some big band music and opera is not bad

Ken

hah thats pretty funny because blues music tends to make me feel good. If there is a type of music i cant stand its soft, pop rock. No offence but sometimes the christian comptempery just gets a little dull (sorry KramL :-P ). My favourite would have too be funk/rock.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

love anything except new rap and new country

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Like upyerkilt wrote, IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO DISCUSS ABOUT THIS, there is a Latin expression: DE GUSTIBUS ET COLORIBUS, NON EST DISPUTANDUM, about taste and colour, it is impossible to discuss. What if every man should have exactly the same taste, I FEEL REAL SORRY FOR "THAT" Woman, because we would love all, the same woman, and of course, the same for the women. I do have a taste, I am able to enjoy a lot, a real lot of bands, and music. Starting with classic music, so many "wonder composers", Mozart, Beethoven, continuing my time travel with stops, in every year. I like the Beatles, The Stones, The Who, to mention some names. I was, when I was about 18-20 years old obsessed by CCR, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, I loved also Slade (an underestimated band!!), Status Quo, and getting older, Pink Floyd, Bee Gees, travelling to rap, metal, in fact I CAN ONLY TELL YOU GUYS, I LOVE EVERY GOOD SONG, but what is good???? Even loving a certain style, I have days that I hate ballads, and love metal, and the other day I love rap. HARD TOPIC, because too SUBJECTIVE, but a nice topic

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]