Re: Backyard Gathering - 2016 - Chordie Friends - August 6th!

Looks like you all had a great time,nice pics and vid.

OK folks, I've got some sound clips up on the cloud. Here's the link to my page (there's just one recording there that's not from the gathering):  https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

OK folks, I've got some sound clips up on the cloud. Here's the link to my page (there's just one recording there that's not from the gathering):  https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483

Thanks for sharing with us Amy.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I liked all the songs you posted up there for us. I sure missed out on what must have been a great gathering. Music is the cement, that's for sure. I go with those who said "Thanks for sharing".

mekidsmom wrote:

Thanks Amy. I only had a couple vids with my songs since I was working the camera. I'll be looking forward to hearing what others heard as you post up more audio stuff. I was really happy to here this one. https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483/i … c-laxative

That's only the 3rd or 4th time I've played it in public and this is the first time it's been recorded. It was nice to hear how it came out. Needs polished up a bit. roll

I am IN LOVE with all of you, and I have already been to SoundCloud! Please give me a little time to write some stuff, okay? Mein KRACK nieds Pauwder!

Your Friend Always,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Great to hear all your voices and playing down here in NZ.

Sounds like yuu all had a blast, loved the photos and music on Sound cloud, thanks for sharing smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Thank-you so much for posting pics & sound-bites from this past weekend. It's amazing how much talent is there! I know you all had fun, and sharing a common love for music.

smile  Glad you're all enjoying what's up there so far!  Joe took a bunch of videos - I'll work on getting those up next.  I have a couple, but they may just be repeats of some of the songs I recorded the sound files with.  It was such a great time!  When the neighbors stopped by and I tried explaining who people were, that was an interesting moment.  We had a couple from Mass, a couple from Ohio, one guy from PA, a NY City/Buffalo gal that I met in California, and of course the family and friends that stopped in on Saturday. 

When you think about how that may look to strangers - they must either think we're totally nuts or something!  I think the look on their faces was a bit of shock, surprise and awe.  I know personally I'm humbled and awed by you all!  Thank YOU AGAIN, those that came.  Ken, Jen, Joey, Chris, Joe, and EJ ...  it was honestly OUR PLEASURE to have you at our home and allow us to host this and feed you a little. 

UJB - Intergalactic Laxative was good!  Yes, the song needs a bit of polishing, but it's a good solid version of the song you've got going!  smile  Plus, you didn't do the Amy "razz" when you screwed up, or the Jim/JJJ curse, so I think you're doing really well!  ha ha ha!  My friend Michele said her favorite was the round of funny songs!  This one made the cut (even though she didn't know it).

JJJ you are a little ahead of me in loosing hair but you look good with the beard,stay cool birthday brother.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

112 (edited by unclejoesband 2016-08-10 01:56:32)

Here is something to hold you over until Amy gets time to upload a few of the 30+ videos I shot. I'm on the right and Dirty Ed is on the left. The other voice coming from off the screen is Mike(Amy's dad). I can't upload to Amy's page so it had to go on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CW8RS8 … e=youtu.be

BTW Amy, tell your dad it was 1959. He was guessing 1965.

unclejoesband wrote:

Here is something to hold you over until Amy gets time to upload a few of the 30+ videos I shot. I'm on the right and Dirty Ed is on the left. The other voice coming from off the screen is Mike(Amy's dad). I can't upload to Amy's page so it had to go on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CW8RS8 … e=youtu.be

BTW Amy, tell your dad it was 1959. He was guessing 1965.

I got a video of that one too!  Joe did you know, if you have Mixcraft Pro (I remember your brother gave a version to you for Xmas a bit ago), you can import the video and edit the sound clip in it just like any other sound file?  I'll let him know about the year!

Here's a different vantage point of that song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUISCqImwX8

I'm currently editing and uploading!  If anyone else uploads any videos from the gathering, please be sure to post a link here so I can add them to the playlist.  This will keep all the videos organized together for easier viewing of just the get together!  smile  Thanks!! 

In the meantime, the playlist can be found at the link below, and I'll keep updating it with the new videos I add - and anyone else adds - as I continue on - so if you check on it early today, be sure to check again later in the day or tomorrow because there WILL be MORE!

BYG 2016 Play List:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … 3VnVFuh5el

Whew!  I've been out cleaning up my camper after 6 days on the road and decided to take a little break/catch up with the latest on chordie.  Jen and I decided to combine a little camping trip with the chordie get-together at Amy and Jim's house.  The round-trip was just over 1300 miles as we spent the first night at Tionesta Lake in PA before heading up to NY.  The trip home should have only taken about 10 hours but road work, traffic tie-ups around Cleveland and two major storms (one even had semis pulling off to the side of I-71 as visability was down to 20-30 ft) made for a tiring 12.5 hour ride home.

Once again Amy and Jim did a fantastic job of sharing their home with us and hosting the event.  It was nice get a chance to do some pickin' with UJB again and meet JJJ (and the lovely Chris) and the bread machine..........  A little Friday evening pickin' session with Amy, Jim and Joe gave me a chance to play some old covers I hadn't done for a while before the main event on Saturday when JJJ, EJ (Amy's friend), Stephanie (Amy's daughter) and Mike (Amy's dad) joined us.  It was a great day of songs and fantastic food.  I mostly did originals but occasionally teamed up with Jen to sing a cover or two she knew.  My favorite time was late in the evening when all the recording equipment was shut off, most folks had left and Amy, Jim and I were the only ones playing, allowing me to play a few of the more personal songs I've written about family and life.

Sunday we returned for Jim's big breakfast and a lot of talking, meeting the neighbors, etc.  I'll tell ya, Jim Wall is one heck of a breakfast chef!  Jen and I hung around Monday and took Amy and the girls out to eat.  I think Jen would have hidden Kate (Amy's youngest) in the truck and taken her home if she thought she could have gotten away with it.  Jen and Kate hit it off as soon as they met, though I must admit everyone falls in love with Kate when they meet her.  Stephanie is the shy one and it was great to hear her open up a little, play some songs and talk a little more at dinner.  Having met Alex, Steph and Kate I can say that Jim and Amy have done a wonderful job of raising their kids.

Thanks to everyone that showed up, thanks for all the camaraderie, thanks for the great music and thanks to Amy and Jim for hosting the event, feeding all of us and sharing their home and family.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Enjoyed the videos Amy,thanks for sharing.

Looks and sounds like a great time. Makes me long for Chordiestock V - still a long 7 months away. Hope everyone can make it! Thanks for all the vids.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

118 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2016-08-11 02:39:35)

Enjoyed the whole time there. Jim and Amy are fantastic hosts. It was great meeting everyone in person. Just got home. 10:27pm.  Took the long scenic way home. Racked up 930 miles on my automobile (car). Took a little ribbing about my accent. LOL. Now I will call it "The Toyota" or "Vehicle". LOL. Oh. Chris didn`t realize the importance of The Bread Machine. An icon known worldwide. Thanx again for a great weekend.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I had a great time watching all the video`s this afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed watching them and listening to them.  Great to put faces to the names and see everyone having a good time smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I'm glad to hear everyone made it home safe and sound!  Whew!  12 hours for a few of you.  I hope Jen and Penny weren't too uncomfortable on the trip home with all the delays you had, Ken. JJJ - did you find a guitar with all those stops? Katie cried Monday night.  sad  She told me it was due to the fact that she would just miss Penny so much, but I KNOW it was more than that.  I am positive that she would have happily gone home with Ken and Jen if she could have.  She has said about 10 times that she wants to go visit "A-Hi-A".  She's corrected my pronunciation when I've said Ohio, because she wants to visit the portion of Ohio where Ken and Jen and Penny live and they don't say "Ohio" there!  She caught that one.  But then, she doesn't miss much even if she is talking a mile a minute.  She cried again Tuesday night after saying goodbye to JJJ & Chris.  She won't eat anything but your pizza, because it's special, because it's from you.  LOL!  She also wants to visit Mass.  Oh, and if we are going to the PA get together, she's made it quite clear that she IS going with us this year.  There's no other option.

It was such a pleasure to be able to host this get together.  Once UJB arrived on Friday, all concerns about it being "work" went out the window.  I didn't feel like there was any "work" to it.  It was honestly just so nice to have everyone here.  I have to agree with Jen, it felt like saying goodbye to family when each person left.  I feel like my children have an extra set of Grandparents, a new Aunt, and two new Uncles.  "Family style" gathering has become a new meaning.  It wasn't family "style" it was FAMILY.  This gathering has become so much more than just a guitar player get together. 

BUT - the guitar playing was a good time!  I played too many "growly" songs too early, and am still working on getting a portion of my voice back.  My father and I don't get together often enough to just sit and play guitar.  It was fun to hear some of his songs the way I remember them from my youth.  There was a round where everyone played a goofy song.  Another round of silly songs.  I think there was a round of sappy songs too.  My friend Michele kept making comments that we needed to play some songs she knew because she wanted to sing along.  She still needs to get digging though, poor girl was far to sheltered as a child.  LOL!  My friend EJ usually just shows up for the food - girl can EAT - but she even played us a couple songs on her Uke.  My daughter, Steph, had one Uke lesson last year and hadn't picked one up since then.  However, between EJ showing her a few chords, and her desire to learn, she put together a couple songs ON THE SPOT well enough to bang them out on EJ's Uke and sing in front of everyone! 

Even those that were just here to listen and eat had a fantastic time and thanked me for the invite.  I have a feeling I'll need to send out more invites next year - as there seems to be more groupies interested in attending!  Ken's originals never fail to bring on laughs when appropriate, or the imagery of being right there in the moment of the story.  He's a true story teller with and without music and I could listen all day!  The bread machine showed it's ability to do more than just look pretty.  It held beer as well as doubled as a music stand without complaint.  wink  JJJ was clearly a bit nervous, being his first Chordie event, but he fit right in after "pahking the cah". tongue He's got a good sense of humor and can take the ribbing!  Despite the nerves, he kept going and brought some unique songs to the mix!  JJJ is a gentle quiet guy that opens up once he's comfortable, and is very kind.  Chris compliments him well, and they interact as if they've been close friends for many many years - it's a nice relationship to see in action - friends first and foremost.  Chris and Jen are simply sweethearts and we could chat all day and night (and we did).  UJB notices the little things, and knows how to give compliments where they are due.  I feel such a strong friendship there, and wish we lived closer as he and Jim would be helping one another with their construction projects, vehicle repairs, and I know we'd both learn how to play guitar better just by being around him (osmosis perhaps).  Plus, I'd never run out of eggs!  big_smile   UJB is humble, but a very perceptive, smart, funny, kind person.

I feel like joining along with Kate in the crying - while I will miss visiting with each of you, it's more than that - I feel so honored to be able to know each of you and appreciate each of you allowing us to host this event.  THANK YOU!

I'll be chatting with a few folks to try to schedule something further in advance for next year to try to allow more Chordie peeps to make it to the next FAMILY gathering!  In the meantime... I need to go out and buy Steph a ukulele, and get myself some new strings for my classical guitar that finally made it home.  Not because the strings were dead, but because Steph took the low E and A off and stole my capo to turn it into a uke temporarily!

Amy & Jim Thanks for hosting this event and especially for sharing the sound bytes and videos which allow those of us unable to make the trip (this year) to join in the fun!

It's still on my "bucket list" so be forewarned..... big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Glad everyone made it home safely. Thank you everyone who came to this years gathering. It was great seeing Joe and Ken again and meeting Kens lovely wife Jen. It was also great to meet JJJ and his girlfriend Chris.
Ken is still my favorite storytelling songwriter. It was awesome getting to hear a couple of his newest songs. I have to practice a couple dead songs to play with UJB before we get together again so I don't mess it up again. Lol. I promise I'll practice Joe.
Hopefully my playing and singing didn't hurt anybody's ears too bad and we will see everyone again next year if not sooner.
Ps. The infamous bread machine is even more versatile than I had imagined.

mekidsmom wrote:

JJJ was clearly a bit nervous, being his first Chordie event, but he fit right in after "pahking the cah"

Well, let me tell ya. I know exactly how he felt.

I met with Zurf and topdown a couple months before last years NY get together and for whatever reason I was comfortable there with just the three of us. But when I went to NY in August I was just shy of terrified. I hadn't played in front of that large a group of people in over 20 years. To top it off I had only picked up the guitar a little over a year before that, after my 20 year hiatus, so I was feeling rather inadequate in that respect as well. Turns out it was all for naught. I was made to feel welcome immediately. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Going back was a no-brainer when the '16 dates were announced. If this is to be an annual event, which it looks like it will be, I'll be there. You couldn't ask for a better group of people.

mekidsdad wrote:

I have to practice a couple Dead songs to play with UJB before we get together again so I don't mess it up again. Lol. I promise I'll practice Joe..

It appears you did quite a bit of practicing since I last saw you. Your improvement was quite impressive. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. We all started at the same place and you've come a looooog way since I met you last August. I'll make up and send you a list of some of the easier songs I play on a regular basis. You can fool around with them and play along in October. Things like Eyes of the World and Jack Straw should probably be put off for a little longer though. smile

Thank you all for sharing your photos  talents and good times on here,  youtube and soundcloud letting us out here into the wonderful  time you all just had together.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Great to hear all your voices and playing down here in NZ.

I just had another look at our map and it appears you folks in NZ have a nice close group. Maybe you need to have a Chordiefest down under and share it with us. There's a fair amount of ocean and I don't know what travel is like, but there are a few more in Australia. Just sayin' smile

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? … axu3IvQsH8