1 (edited by shaunm 2016-04-10 09:16:26)

Topic: new pickup issues

I recently bought myself a second hand Tokai SG.  I've owned one before and I really got on with it.  The stock pickups on the cheaper Tokai's are pretty good but I fancied something a little different so I've just fitted it with a GFS Alnico 2 Humbucker in the bridge and a GFS Mean 90 in the neck.  I also replaced all the internal components.

Here's the issue

The P90 and the humbucker sound great on their own however when I switch to the middle position and have both volumes up full there is a noticeable drop in volume.  If I ease back the volume on either pickup the overall volume comes back up.  It's as though when both pickups are on full volume they partially cancel each other out.

It's not really a problem as I'm more than happy with sounds I'm getting but I was wondering if anyone had come across this before?

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-04-10 10:05:47)

Re: new pickup issues

That's not entirely uncommon, Shaun.

It may be the way the pickups are wired into the overall current flow (Series VS Parallel wiring) or it just may be that the combined outputs of both pickups together is dropping your signal strength.

A second cause might be related to your volume pots. Generally speaking, single-coil pups are good with 250k pots, while humbuckers require 500k pots. If you didn't switch pots when you did your pickups, and they have higher output levels, you might have a resistance issue that's affecting your volume.

I won't pretend to understand all of this, but it sounds like a trip to a guitar tech might solve your problem. If you didn't have this issue with the original pickups, my "best guess" is that the wiring needs to be switched around. Here's a link to some very thorough wiring options for guitar pickups, complete with schematics:

http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=236

Good luck finding a resolution!

I would love to help but I know my electronic limits LOL I took mine to the guitar tech and said I want it this way .    I agree with TF,  Best to visit your tech. heck you may need a different selector also, or one that can select two dif options . The good thing is, GFS rocks! and you can get better pots for them there also.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

4 (edited by shaunm 2016-04-13 09:47:27)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I asked a guy at work who suggested the pickups could be out of phase.  I did a bit of research and then, by chance, checked the wiring sheet that GFS pack with the pups.  Lo and behold the first sentence reads

"When wiring to existing pickups - if in-between position is too thin you are out-of-phase.  Just reverse the + and ground leads on the GFS pickup without disturbing the silver shield."

So I swapped the hot and ground leads around on the P90 and it worked a treat.  It sounds much better, rich without being muddy, just what I was after.

So the moral of the this tale is always read the instructions, especially if you're an idiot like me.

Thanks again guys

LOLOL It gets us every time, (Oh and you might want to edit your explicative, people on this forum are very strict about language wink  )  No on my strat, I deliberately had the middle pick up wired out of phase with  the neck pick up for the Brian May type sound.  It can work for you in certain applications.  You just gotta  crank up the gain,, then the thing sizzles.

Glad it worked out for you!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

So glad you got it sorted out, Shaun ... stuff like that can be a concern. Any wiring projects I've done that haven't had the expected results, always have me sniffing the air for smoke. lol