But when i turn my radio on
on waking sunday morn
News of stabbing & murder again
from the days gone before
I lived in this country years ago
of just 3 million souls
a murder just once a year

The King Of Audio Torture

2 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-05-08 00:43:51)

Re: Progress?

You and I growing up here in little old NZ. 
Both old enough to remember this land before Televison arrived.
Teenagers hanging out at Milk Bars.The Blacksmith on the main street.
Where there are houses now on the hills of our valley were farm animals.

A murder shocked the whole nation and was headlines.
Now murder is just a regular event.
Our family home was rarely locked.
We knew everyone in our street.
We played on the street as there weren't many cars.
The Television came and everyone started owning cars.
Doors started to be locked and people forgot their neighbourhood and began to feel unsafe.
The rest of the world far away got closer while next door became far away.

nice work EB, very evocative.

peatle, what you posted also rang a bell with me, cos i was brought up in a village outside a small town in (old) south wales and i can remember a time when we had no tv, doors needn't be locked and any kind of crime was a total scandal. then along came the teddy boys, then punk and skinheads. now it's druggies. alcohol has also played a big part throughout history. i guess it's knowing when to stop....so i shall, rant over

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey Guys it`s great to get u ranting.
I like to write stuff that gets us thinking.
EB

i remember the days of unlocked doors and no one worried about it ..............ah those distant memories it seems................well done easybeat.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-05-13 10:00:13)

Easy & Peatle ... I literally shed tears when I read your work, and readily identified with the same situation in my corner of the planet.

I grew up in rural Nova Scotia, a small province of Canada with less than a million people. My home town had less than 1,000 people, and no one ever locked the doors to their homes or cars. Neighbors watched out for one another, helped one another without question in times of need, and had an almost communal attitude about their possessions. Personal accomplishment was celebrated, honesty and integrity were the norm, and working hard to be able to stand on ones own feet was viewed with pride and admiration. There was a fist-fight now and then when someones dignity was at stake, but no weapons were ever used ... that wasn't honorable. If one combatant was knocked down, he wasn't kicked or jumped on. That usually settled the matter, and they often made up and became friends. Most of the province was like that.

Then we began telling our children (late-60's) that there were no moral absolutes, and that they weren't unique or special, i.e. just the accidental products of a biological process. We started telling them they were animals, and they started acting like it ... and worse. We traded their entertainments from bicycles, the local swimming hole, reading good books, outdoor sports, art and music, etc. for ultra-violent video games. Now we hear of robberies, murders, gang violence, suicides, etc. on a daily basis in our little province. And most of it is being committed by young adults and teens.

How very, very sad ... a generation or more being raised without hope or identity.

I like what you are saying Tenement the world outlook of young criminals has subtly been shaped or brainwashed  into them by the constant negative bombardment that entertainments subtly place into their susceptible brains. Also the new generation of so called Reality Stars seem to get more media coverage then thery deserve. People famous for been famous with no real talent or good character.

8 (edited by easybeat 2017-02-15 19:53:37)

Gidday All
not very nice weather today so thought i would attempt to put music to this poem.
now named `once a year`https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/once-a-year
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/once-a-year

Peatle Jville wrote:

The rest of the world far away got closer while next door became far away.

That is a great line line -  so true of everywhere

ought to be made into a song a song

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke