Topic: Beat Of The Axe

This is a poem I wrote which I will let the reader interpret it whatever way they want it to mean.
                                                                         Beat Of The Axe.
The language I lost to changed meanings.
Left in another time by those older than me.
Sometimes I catch little bits that I understand.
A beat of the axe comes from near as a once beautiful tree is split.
No longer together it is thrown into the fire.
All that remains is ashes.
In my memory it's strength is clear.
Vivid pictures unseen.
Connecting only to those who have passed down the same track.
Words expressed but not fully understood.
Twisted by listeners' ears.
Only my mother's and father's words are now fully understood by their generation.
Maybe another generation after I am gone will bring them back.
Maybe the forest will grow again.
Or will the axe just stop.

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-07-10 08:21:16)

Re: Beat Of The Axe

In the 60's we had a one-word compliment, Pete, and that was "HEAVY". Maybe you remember it? I totally can identify with your words, my friend! Every line contains "feeling" !!

Bravo, Pete, BRAVO!

Always

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Thank you Bill
You aint" HEAVY" your my brother.
Always
Pete

hi pete, wow man soooooo deep! i'm guessing that you're talking about words that meant one thing say in the 60's now in the naughties? mean or are used to mean something entirely different eg; bad now means good? how many songs and movies use the word "gay" to mean happy now it means - well gay!
it seems every generation has to have their own identity, eg; we had the beatles and the stones, now they have rap, techno and other stuff that makes no sense to me.
so, when you say "the language i lost to changed meanings" which i had no idea what you meant on second or third reading i understood. still working on the wood and axe reference. i'll get there.

nice work it's time we had to work to understand what is after all all around us and happening now.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Everything seems to change as time goes on, in either its meaning or purpose. Some for the better, some not so much. And we sometimes wonder why others don't just leave well-enough alone. These are the thoughts your poem conjures for me, Peatle ... very nicely done.

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-07-11 06:36:29)

Thank  you Phill and TF for your insightful replies. Phill your on to the language part. TF as you know change is sometimes detrimental. The old we take paradise put up a parking lot.
My wood and axe references the way Corporations and Governments happily cut back and push people out of the picture. Increasingly the computer and the machine is replacing people. People are seen as a cost not as a value. Also  the wood and axe references deforestisation the balance of nature destroyed by greed and waterways  and air poluted. Also it is about how values change and become old fashion to some.

yes i get it now pete. have you noticed how it's us poor ones in our 1000 cc cars that get the blame for global warming? it's not the rich with their 8 or 10 cylinder cars or the tanks government's build to fight their wars or even the industrial revolution of 200 years ago and the factories that are still belching out filth which are allowed to carry on to maximise profits.

OK i know preaching again sad

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Wow, that was deep Peatle and at first i didn`t quite understand it either ........ but i get it now after reading everyone`s comments.  Particularly the meanings of word and how they have changed.  Well done smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Phill I think  what happens in the game of the unscrupulous in the search for money is greed taints any sense of fairness or what's right. Flying around in their private jets cruising on yachts that cost millions in their cut of from reality universes.Sometimes it is easier to make the poor become the scapegoats for the excesses of the rich in the media.. Your comments are bang on. Thank you Jandle for thinking about my words and those interesting comments put up by others.