Topic: FACTS 6

WAR! HUH! WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR!.

Do you remember this phrase and the song, performed by EDWIN STARR in 1970 dominating the charts worldwide?
Here some other songs, and the conflicts that inspired them.

- Bruce Springsteen     Born in the USA   (Vietnam)
- Dire Straits               Brothers in Arms  (All Wars)
- OMD*                       Enola Gay  ( World War II - Hiroshima)
- Buffalo Springfield     For What it's Worth ( Vietnam)
- John Lennon             Give Peace a Chance (Vietnam)
- Bob Dylan                Masters of War ( All Wars)
- Elvis Costello            Shipbuilding  (The Falklands)
- U2                           Sundfay, Bloody Sunday (Troubles in North Ireland)
- Black Sabbath          War Pigs    (Vietnam)
- Edwin Starr              War!  (all wars)
- Human League         The Lebanon (Troubles and Conflicts in The Middle East)
- Donovan                  The Universal Soldier (All Wars)
The * OMD= Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

I love, like I always do, and I count on you, dear Chordians, to make this a big list.
Does anybody love wars? I can not imagine wars and certainly not wars concerning RELIGION, CONVICTION, or CIVIL wars. The wars, they are all horrible, but I think the most cruel wars are CIVIL wars brother against brother, father against sons, AND FOR WHAT REASON.
see Christians & Muslims: these religions are so close to each other, both have GOD or ALLAH.
Christians have JESUS, MUSLIMS have MOHAMED, but there is Jesus considered as one of the great prophet's. Even better, shiits against soenits. Sorry, I couldn't help it to write this, because I get crazy thinking about the starting of a war.
The bigger the list, the better you will feel.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: FACTS 6

The Clash                            Spanish Bombs (Spanish civil war)
The Clash                            English Civil War (breakdown of society Britain 1970's)
Bob Dylan                           God on our side (all wars)
Elvis Costello                       Oliver's Army (all wars, conscription)
Stiff Little Fingers                 Alternative Ulster (Northern Ireland)
Stiff Little Fingers                 Suspect Device (Northern Ireland)
The Pogues                         And the band played Waltzing Matilda (World War One)
Frankie goes to Hollywood    Two Tribes (Cold War politics)

nice, here we go again, new artists, but I am sure there are a lot of artists against the war.
So, I don't know about the Doors, I just know that the song the end was used in Apocalypse Now.
What about the so called folk/protest singers like Dylan.
Probably you will find more artists, and certainly WOODSTOCK 69 performers, because the antiwar protest was at that moment very popular and common. This brings me again to the war subject: how can people fall so low and cruel. There are tests, a victim (an actor) questioned by others (Non actors) who had to give electroshocks (in fact also fake, but a good actor know how to react) and the tortures, from simple men going to well educated men, lawyers, Medical Doctors, even Bishops, priests, millionaires, more than 75% continued the (so called torture, they didn't know it was fake)interrogation, going higher and higher up to almost deadly shocks. THIS SHOCKS ME & I HOPE YOU ALL.
Also I will never talk about the stuff going on now. If I don't now the subject, I don't speak about it.
Catholic Priests talking about marriage and sex, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.
But keep on answering, give YOUR opinion, it doesn't look like a topic about music, BUT IT IS, more it is because of the music that a lot of people start to think.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Very nice ANTI-FACT is the song performed by Manfred Mann: DOO WAH DIDDY.
If you watch a movie about the military training for navy, soldiers,... this seems to be a common song when marching. I HAD to write this, only because I just heard it on television.
Sorry

war pigs by sabbath was to do with vietnam?
first I have heard of that.

and the song "and the band played waltzing matilda" was sang by the pogues quite badly even though I love the pogues and the wasted drunk Shane. But the song is actually by Eric Bogle, an australian scot. He also wrote
the green fields of france...... i tihnk the world war 1 as well.
the soldier by harvey andrew...... northern ireland.
sam stone...... john prine.... vietnam.
little boy soliders .... the jam ..... ww1
most of the final cut album by pink floyd.......ww2
is that what you faught the war for .... slf..... all wars i think
wasted life.....slf......about all armies
a pair of brown eyes.....pogues........ww2 i think ????
each dollar a bullet.....slf...........not about wars but about fighting back at terrorists, wrote years and years ago while companies and people were still throwing money at the IRA until the twin towers came down, then it all changed.
killiecrankie......the corries....about the battle of killiecrankie in 1689
massacre of glen coe......corries....about a massacre on the clan macdonald in 1692
stirling brig......the corries.... about fighting the english off in 1297 at the bridge.
the black douglas.... again,lol, the corries and agan fighting off the english,lol
wha wadna fecht for charlie.....yep, you guessed it the corries again and yep against oor cousins doo nsouth.
i will go/............ de  really need to tell who by and why? lol

ok,
nuff from me
lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Is it not TOM WAITS who wrote Waltzing Matilda, or did he just perform it. YEP I saw the pogues a few times, sad that he is almost always drunk.

definetly Eric Bogle that wrote it, just so many have performed it as lots have performed Green fields of france.
Eric is a very underestimated and to an extent hardly known singer, but his songs are well known, even if sung by others.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Have we had Civil War by G 'n' R? smile

She aint exactly pretty, she aint exactly small
but at 42-39-56, you could say she's got it all....

Richie Havens -                                                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pMeyy_ … mp;search=

Country Joe McDonald-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5btZWbViPA

two great war songs

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

oops How can I forget Dylans -John Brown and Blowing in the Wind

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe