Re: How Much Do You Practice

this is my first post here and would like to say if not for this site I would not be where I am today with my acoustic playing as this is where I taught myself to play. I was told about chordie from a music teacher who gave me 2 lessons in his shop. He was one of the Trapp brothers from Lebanon,In. Thank you...Thank you! I was disabled with dystonia at 55 years of age and needed to occupy my mind with a new hobby and picked up an old washburn and now at 60 years of age I still practice everyday or mostly everyday,,,my life is the reality of true blues as I have been down for along time and if not for my music it would be far different than what it is.I have probably acquired my own style and would be difficult to play in a band but I just enjoy playing and trying to sing(lol) and have quite a variety of songs that are automatic now and with a couple new guitars I am actually beginning to really enjoy playing in front of people now(public beware,,,lol)  I believe in positive songs ,country,blusey,feel good songs,,,,but once again,,,Thank You Chordie,com as you are the best site I could have ever asked for,,,,so lets all roll and play and yes Rock on!  my next step is trying to really understand tabulature but at 60 years I should probably just stick with chord playing,,,Have a great day!

lesshives wrote:

this is my first post here and would like to say if not for this site I would not be where I am today with my acoustic playing as this is where I taught myself to play. I was told about chordie from a music teacher who gave me 2 lessons in his shop. He was one of the Trapp brothers from Lebanon,In. Thank you...Thank you! I was disabled with dystonia at 55 years of age and needed to occupy my mind with a new hobby and picked up an old washburn and now at 60 years of age I still practice everyday or mostly everyday,,,my life is the reality of true blues as I have been down for along time and if not for my music it would be far different than what it is.I have probably acquired my own style and would be difficult to play in a band but I just enjoy playing and trying to sing(lol) and have quite a variety of songs that are automatic now and with a couple new guitars I am actually beginning to really enjoy playing in front of people now(public beware,,,lol)  I believe in positive songs ,country,blusey,feel good songs,,,,but once again,,,Thank You Chordie,com as you are the best site I could have ever asked for,,,,so lets all roll and play and yes Rock on!  my next step is trying to really understand tabulature but at 60 years I should probably just stick with chord playing,,,Have a great day!

Welcome to the Chordie Forums.... and the Community !!  If you have been "lurking" awhile, you should have gathered that this is not only a great resource for learning but has evolved into a Social Centre.  There are a lot of folks here who share your interests and values, who I'm sure would like to hear more from you as you feel comfortable.  Most of us either have been, or are, where you are in your musical journey.

Welcome Aboard !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I practice for 3 to 4 hours everyday.

When I was a beginner I played near 1-2 hours a day. I dnt have any rules about time to play - I played when I wanted to...

Most of my performances are weekend get togethers, bonfires and such. I have to practice Mondays and Wednesdays  just to keep my callouses.     

Hi! I try to pracrice playing 2-3 times per week but sometimes becaoes of the motivation I skip some day     

I've recently started to practice again. I've been just playing for a long time (years). But now I'm actually practicing new skills (trying to learn to play one-note-at-a-time lead playing) and it's very hard so I only do it ten or fifteen minutes a day.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have a pal that does a lot of fingerpicking and country he is also an aficionado of Shadows music. So, just before Christmas he was out walking his dog and tripped over a curb and made a mess of his fingers. He is the proud owner of around a dozen or so guitars, sixers, twelvers acoustic and electric and a bass or two. He told me he wouldn't be able to play for at least a month! When his fingers healed he tried to get back in the saddle but found all his callouses had softened so playing was painful, in fact like starting over. I think he's getting there now and the last little jam we had he was OK but I didn't push him too much. Practise is essential whether your practising runs, riffs, scales or chords. I usually manage 10 minutes most days, it really tells when I lay off for any time.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I don't try to play every X minute each day.

I love playing, I can practice/play for 2-3 hours a day... During a week easily 10 Hours. But I do sometimes skip playing for a day or even an entire week. (I don't want to play, I'm busy, or I get enough of playing the same things...)
Sometimes it's better, it allows my brain to take a break and have new ideas.     

[url]https://soundcloud.com/curtis-k-music[/url]

2-3 hours per day! That's impressive. I used to practice until my hands hurt. Now, I barely have enough time to play 15 minutes each day. I think it's more about consistency than it is about actual time. Keep constantly learning and improving, and you will be a better player.

Sounds like I need to take my own advise. lol     

My gear: Fender Jazzmaster, LP Studio, Country Gentlemen, Taylor Grand Auditorium

I am back again after a couple years maybe....Thanks for all the responses above as i'm still at it and still practice mostly everyday but still mostly a chords player but use the capo more now and so find more fun with it....i recently watched an AXS documentary about Mike Ness and tried practicing just a simple chord progression he was fooling around with on the acoustic and after a little while I morphed into a kinda rock-a-billy outlaw kinda song I wrote about my Dad who has been gone for about 35 years now and is without a doubt a step up the tier with songs I have written and re-news my addiction to this guitar world...I still have a long long ways to go but at 63 years old my time is limited for sure(I wish I had started when I was young for sure)  I still have only played by myself and play too fast with my songs as I can't sing but do if that makes sense....thanks for listening to my ramblings....     

37 (edited by NowlesNorman 2021-06-30 23:19:54)

Recently, I brought my new lefty guitars and I practice one and half hour every day. I love to play my new guitars, but won't get enough time.

Another south paw like me. Practice is essential but play songs as much as you can to keep up the excitement of being able to play and change from one chord to another quickly and seamlessly.
What guitars do you have BTW?     

Now, no practice, just get out of work grab the 12 and grab the 6 and relax. But back in the day when i had time to practice i would practice till my fingers hurt and i could see the blood clots on my finger tips. Man those were awesome times, reaching new peaks on the gtar singing a song I really enjoyed man i never wanted to stop!!!!!!!!!! But when i do pick her up and strum it's always special again....need to make sure she's dust free and tuned just right!!!!! Practice you must keep Young Padawan!!! -Master Yoda     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

i practice around an hour every day. sometimes i skip day when my fingers are not good to play     

Good to know you practice regularly. The more you practice the harder your finger tips will become. You may find that squeezing a soft ball will strengthen your fingers, hand and wrist.
Welcome to chordie forum.