Topic: Old worn out guitars.

I love playing old, scratched, battered, small old classical guitars! They're so comfy and light and fun and easy to play. I have one I'm lucky. Try and get hold of one people. Oh, and they sound so great when they're out of tune slightly. Or tuned down a tone. This is a good tip it's one of my guitar rituals. I like playing Peppermint Rag by Fabien Flight on it as fast as I can. Oh and Girls Girls Girls by Motley Crue also sounds great.
   Give it a try!

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: Old worn out guitars.

You just described my main guitar.  It was given to me when I helped a friend move.  Apparantly, his first wife (God rest her soul) had had a boyfriend before him that was a guitar teacher and had left a number of guitars in the house when he split.  So as my buddy is cleaning out the house they shared he was surprised to find a bunch of guitars in one of the closets.  Because he had very little sympathy for his now deceased wife's former boyfriends, he chose not to contact the fellow to come get his guitars and gave them to those of us who were helping him.  My daughter has one as well. 

However, I prefer to play it in tune.

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Most of those ''worn out'' guitars are actually fantastic instruments. The body may look worn but everything else is top notch. Take Tommy Emmanuels Martin, or Willie Nelsons old classical. Don't forget that not only are these guitars played for decades but it also plays in to the image the artist wants to portray. The grizzled old cowboy would look a bit wierd with a shinny new bright green guitar! lol The punk rocker that wants to sell to his audience will try to show how hard it has been living on the fringes almost homeless. But you can bet that a good luther has had his hands on that guitar and the instrument is tuned and worked just as the musician wants it.

On another note, a quality guitar will ''age''. My Norman sounds much fuller then when I first bought it 15 years ago. If you keep playing it and care for it , the sound will mature. Some artists will not get rid of such a valued instrument.

Have a great day.
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hey Mike, My brother has a Norman about ten years old and it has aged well and sounds great. My little Fender acoustic is about two years and sounds better all the time. Which goes to say "Your not getting older, your getting better".

Hows the weather in Montreal? It's hot and humid here.I know it's a bit early but hockey is on the brain.lol

Take Care....Badeye.

one caper after another

Hey Brad,
How's it going? Long time no talk. Weather here is the same. Hot Humid and making everyone grumpy. I have my move on the brain as we finished negociating and officially bought a new home. Lots to do as we take pocession early September. I will be able to build that soundproof room as I have lots of room to spare.  smile

Thats great to hear Mike. Hope you like your new digs. I bet you and your family will have good memories of the old homestead. Got to like that your hunt is over as it can be a pain to look for houses sometimes. No grumpies here but some people just don't like the heat eh. Almost bought a second hand Cort guitar over the weekend but the better half talked me out of it as she said your b-day is in october.
hmmmmm. Probably get socks..lol.

take care...Brad.

one caper after another

just joined ,I have a guitar that I bought in 1956, it has unusual "f" type sounding holes ,the neck has a  steel insert (so I was told on purchase) also the neck does not "sit" on the body where it meets, it has an adjustable bridge, slightly curved fretboard, also the body is slightly curved front and back. It has no brand name identification. its had a hard life at parties and with kids using it as a rocking horse but still very playable
Agnigen Palmerston North New Zealand , thought it may interest you all. cheers

badeye wrote:

Thats great to hear Mike. Hope you like your new digs. I bet you and your family will have good memories of the old homestead. Got to like that your hunt is over as it can be a pain to look for houses sometimes. No grumpies here but some people just don't like the heat eh. Almost bought a second hand Cort guitar over the weekend but the better half talked me out of it as she said your b-day is in october.
hmmmmm. Probably get socks..lol.

take care...Brad.

Yes it was fast, One of my friends is a realestate broker and she really knew what we wanted. After just two days we had already put an offer on a house. The family is happy but our oldest daughter is a little upset as we are moving to quite a rural area. She just wants to know where the nearest mall is. LOL I told her the goods come in once a year by boat and that she has to take what they have. That didn't go over too well.....

Mike

Hello Agnigen ,Welcome to Chordie. Sounds like you and your guitar had a good time over the years.Nothing like a kitchen jam with a guitar and good friends. It's a lot of fun.

Take Care ...Badeye.

one caper after another

Thats funny Mike . No sense of ha ha eh.Careful she'll get her license and want your car. But it's all good we all had to start somewhere.

......badeye.

one caper after another

She's 14 she lost her sense of haha about a year ago.  When she gets her permit I think I'll by her an old AMC Gremlin and paint it lime green. Tell her she can use it all she wants..... she'll probably stay home! LOL

Funny my first car was a purple Gremlin by A M C. W had a lot of fun in that car. First listened to Rush 2112 in that car.
Shitty car -Great Speakers.

....Brad.

one caper after another

Do you think that young people still listen to RUSH. Back in the day we did.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

My first car was a green Chevy Malibu Classic. I beat the $H** out of it! But it did get us around. Thats all that mattered, had great times in it. Sold it for 150$ to a scrap yard after a few years.

Remember Mike she'll want gas money too. Oh and money for fast food, oh and money for......I think we all went through that phase. I say it all comes out in the wash.

av a gud un...Badeye.

one caper after another

Ya It's already started, I told my son that next year he can go to all the farms and work the crops. He will make good money and if he works hard they will call him for each harvest. He's 12 now and soon he will want weels also. Good expierence learning that it takes hard work to get what you want!
Have a great one ya old salt
Mike

Back to old scratched guitars, I found an old Simpsons Sears
Camp Fire guitar a few years back at the local dump. While dumping an old deck I spotted this guitar. I grabbed it and threw it on the truck. New strings and some tuning it sounded pretty good. Still have it but just sits in corner in music room. Has a picture of a campfire, two old guys with guitars and an old dog laying by the fire. One man"s trash is another man's treasure.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

Great find ..... I bet it would have some great stories to tell! I'm always going into old pawn shops looking for that lost jewel. Haven't found it yet.

Yeap always got my one eye open for old gems like that.Oh the stories eh.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Ahem! This is MY thread, if you want to have a conversation share emails! AND DON'T REPORT ME AGAIN I'M JUST MAKING A POINT!

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

To start again about old worn out guitars, what is your opinion concerning the, I talk about Fender to be more specific, who designed there RELIC GUITARS?
You can have, matter of speaking, a 100% "replica" of the fender played by RORY GALLAGHER.
What I also would like to know, in addition of those old guitars, paranormal is, can you still use them, to play. And what's your opinion about these "relics", if you see the guitar, you won't even buy it, because most people like brand new and fancy guitars.
There is a reason why the Gibson Les Paul Standard guitars, almost 50 years old (58, 59 and 1960) are so expensive, and sometimes, they look very ugly.
If you have an old guitar, don't change too much, because the price drops a lot.
What kind of guitar(s) you play, do you play already long? The song you mentioned, I have to admit that I don't know that song. I am born in 1955, and I play a very long time, with the classical ups and downs, I know a lot about music, but I am always greedy to learn, or to talk about skills.
My oldest guitar, also worn out, but not too much is a genuine US Fender Strat 1964.
You can still find those guitars you wrote about, in pawn shops, but they start to know the prices, 30 years ago, you could do real good business. You still can because of the low $.
See you later

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

With all due respect badeye, it was a bit of bad form to go having a private conversation on a public forum.  No worries about "thread-jacking" if the thread takes an unexpected turn, but having a private conversation is something else entirely.  I don't think the suggestion to take it to e-mail was out of line.   

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

23 (edited by badeye 2007-07-25 20:01:49)

Sorry bout that.But I did go back to "old scratched guitars"

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Many of us go off on a tangent in different threads, many of us do it. Never have the moderators let things go too far. Especially those who have been here for quite a while. We agree that this is not a chat room. I would like to point out that we are in CHORDIE'S CHAT CORNER. This section was added just for this reason. Perhaps this thread should have been added to the Guitars and accessories section. Appart from the fantastic job the god's of chordie are doing the success of this site and forum are due to the friendly and laid back approch that most people have here.

I would like to point out that since the arrival of Paranormalguitar I have found the hostilities on the forum have blossomed............ just my point of view.

Michel

mhebert - I agree with you.  The laid back attitude here is wonderful.  However, is it better for us to police ourselves or to always have to wait for the moderators to do the policing?  I think it's better if we can gently and politely nudge one another back into line rather than waiting for moderators to do it. 

I have not noticed Paranormalguitar being hostile.  A little touchy perhaps, but hardly hostile.  He is young and  impatient about like I would expect a young man to be.  He'll learn.

- Zurf