Topic: Well THAT didn't work...

I am primarily a bass player - or so I thought.  One of the many reasons I picked up guitar (aside from enjoying it) is that I had hoped to improve my left hand technique on bass.  With the far more intricate movements required by guitar, I thought perhaps getting my hand more agile would improve my bass playing.  Well, I just picked up my bass to play a simple blues line and YOWZER, my hand was cramping up in no time.  So much for that idea.  Except now I'm hooked on guitar, so I guess now I'll have to figure out how to practice my bass and my guitar both.  And there's an autoharp staring at me from the top of the bookcase...  And I'm not sure, but I think I heard my harmonicas crying because they're so lonely (but harmonicas are good for crying, such a moody instrument). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Well THAT didn't work...

Hi Zurf - Grab that autoharp, tune it up (easier said than done), and start having some fun with it!  If it does not have strap buttons on it, get some on there so you can hold it on your chest.

Playing autoharp is like playing chess - the basic moves are all very simple, but putting all moves together is where the real fun begins.  If it has been sitting for a long long time, it may need some t.l.c. to play well.

I play autoharp, so would be glad to help you in any way I can should you want to pursue the instrument.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Well THAT didn't work...

Well thanks James!  It has been sitting idle for a while.  I tune it every once in a while to keep it from warping such that it can't be tuned.  I've got enough on my plate trying to learn guitar (started that last September or October) and keeping up to speed on bass (which I re-started about twelve years ago but you wouldn't know it from the poor quality of my playing). 

If I get comfy with the guitar enough to start diddling around with the autoharp, I'll be in touch you can count on it.  I like a lot of those old Spirituals and "Vacation Bible School" churchy folk songs and think the autoharp would sound pretty good as accompaniment. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude