1 (edited by (0)==#paranormal guitar 2007-07-25 13:26:16)

Topic: Funny Eddie van Halen quote

This is a quote in Guitarist magazine (wich I'd reccomend) I found about Eddie van Halen:
"A card sharp with a guitar. Quite interesting if you're into sleight of hand of that thing that street hustlers do with the three cups and a ball, but not very much to do with music."  lol
It's saying that some of the stuff he does is very difficult to play, but often sounds pretty pointless. (eg eruption). I shouldn't say that, as I get this van Halen newsletter thing. I do love some of their music
Another one I found about Jimi Hendrix, which is funny but not really true:
"Not really very good, actually, but dserves credit for inventing the now widespread technique of turning everything up so loud that you can't hear the mistakes."  hmm

Tell me what you think and if you know any other quootes! Also tell me if you know the band oasis' official website!

All the best,

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: Funny Eddie van Halen quote

Hi Will,
I was a big Eddie Van Halen fan when I was a teenager (some time ago).  But this quote kind of captures how I feel about Van Halen the band.  Brilliant flashes of guitar that are thrown into mediocre songs and often inane lyrics so that musically it doesn't make a lot of sense.  Of course at the time I thought it was great! lol  There are some exceptions, they still have a few songs that I can still listen to and I have to respectfully disagree with you about Eruption.  When that came out nobody had ever heard anything or played anything like it before.
Take care,
Jim

3 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-25 14:50:42)

Hendrix, "not really very good actually"

Which 'shit for brains' wrote that ?

That's like saying "Einstein, sort of understood a bit of physics, but over estimated himself".
or
"Pele, kicked a ball around but didn't quite get the point of soccer"
or
"Nelson Mandela, read a few things about politics and racial discrimination and had a go at sorting things out in South Africa"

I'm just off for a cold shower ...

I've started a new thread about this one, (my head was about to explode)

I know there are some odd people out there, Hendrix was great. Infact, I've held one of his guitars, a Flying V that he played. 
I know van Halen's great, but I still found that comment funny.

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??