Topic: beginner, i'm sinking, help

started playing acoustic about 3 weeks ago.tryin to teach myself over internet. can someone tell me is it better to start out playing the songs with one string at a time like come as you are by nirvana, or songs that use the chords(sorry not really up to speed on the jargon just yet but hope you know what im talking about!!!).i also am so slow at my finger movement,practice, yea???????me head is fried.......

Re: beginner, i'm sinking, help

Lambsie, don't panic, and don't give it up. Start to look for a book or a website, where you can find chords. Knowing myself, a very impatient man, I can only tell you start TO PUT YOUR FINGERS, like shown on the site. Probably you will not hear a very clear sound, but at least you tried, the more you try, the better it will work, and when you are able to play that chord sounding clear, you will know how it works, and sooner than you think you will be able to manage more and more chords.
Important, it don't take days to control one chord. One imortant thing: DON'T worry when your fingertips are painful, it will pass

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Couldn't have said it any better than gitaardocphil.

You already took the hardest step, you decided to start playing.

I, too suggest you learn some basic chords and get strumming, you'll have fun when you can strum along to your first song.
You could start with G, C and D, there's loads of cool songs that use just these three chords. Sweet Home Alabama, for example.

I only got hold of the Fender Beginner DVDs later on in my learning curve, but these are a great place to start. Search for "DVD Fender Acoustic Keith Wyatt" or something similar.
Occasionally, you can pick one up on ebay. Don't worry about the investment, they resell great on ebay.

Happy playing smile

nc

On acoustic, the style that you want to play will factor heavily into what you should learn.
I play rock and gospel on electric guitar so I learned mostly power chords and the minor pentatonic scale. I don't know much beyond that. I don't know basic chords or barre chords hardly. I don't know scales outside of the minor pentatonic and I don't know how to change keys.

I don't know much....but I know I love playing what I do know.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Lambsie,
Like Phil wrote DON'T worry.  Practice but have fun.  I was at your stage, I thought my brain, fingers, eyes, arms and other parts of my anatomy were fried too.  Then before I knew it, a 'light bulb' went on and all thoses chords that yesterday were not 'ringing', suddenly appeared.  You'll surprise yourself how quickly it all comes together and you don't know how you did it ! But you did it by practice ( and having fun). 
So keep it up Lambsie and start with something really basic but something that is fun.  Check out the EASY SONGBOOKS here on chordie.
Go and ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Hi lambsie100178
Congratulations on choosing to learn to play the guitar.
It can be a long road with highs and lows. But its definitely worth it.

As been said Chords are the foundation on which all guitar songs are built.

So I think the learning of the open Chords first is the place to start.

A C D E G are all Major open Chords and are use by many simple songs.

Lots of internet guitar chord sites show where to place your fingers on the fret board etc and then its just a case of practice and more practice.

Hope this helps a bit

Regards

Ark

I would recommend you not try to play songs right now, and instead work on strengthening your hands and developing a more sure command of chord changes. 

Playing an instrument is ultimately a technical discipline, and you need to train your hands just like you would for any other physical skill.   Right now your hands are soft and weak.   If you work on training them to some degree, rather than learning a song, you will pick up *any* song you want to play much faster in the future.

It's boring, but it will be much less frustrating for you in the long run if you practice basic major chord progressions and scales for the next month.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

cheers guys