Topic: Hands up, I'm guilty tie me up and shoot me

(That's my second attempt at poetry today, still crap at it)

I've allowed myself to go way off topic today.

Now there are two solutions, we can all chat on bebo about non-musical stuff

Or ... Because I have a website for my business (Acme Software) and I've just written some forum code for someone else which could be adapted (easily) , I'm willing to set up a free forum for chordies to talk about any old bollocks.

let me know

David

Re: Hands up, I'm guilty tie me up and shoot me

sounds good! up for the forum idea. not tried bebo yet, typical yorkshireman. might only be 22, but grumble, mumble, new fangled gizmo's, don't hold wi' all that nonsense, in my day we 'ad myspace on a commodore 64, young 'uns today, argh, don't know they're born, etc
lol smile
seriously, thanks acmecorp, respect to that man
besti

She aint exactly pretty, she aint exactly small
but at 42-39-56, you could say she's got it all....

the only word i got out of that was myspace yeah sounds like a good idea a forum for chordies

So Red Delicious

sorry sanguine, meeting a yorkshireman for the first time in full flow is a bit daunting!
anyway, well up for a forum for talking loadsa rubbish. recon i'd do quite well there lol

yeah reading harry potter is nothing like talking to you guys

So Red Delicious

6 (edited by Besti 2007-07-26 21:14:25)

rofl you poor bugger. you haven't heard anything yet. we've got more regional dialect in 300 miles than you've got from east to west seaboard (probably lol)
speaking of which, ask upyerkilt to give you a burst o' peeure scottash (Sorry upurekilt, that was my best sincere impression, and my best mate's from falkirk!)
lol big_smile

well our accents vary greatly over hear i lived in conneticut must my life so im nearly accentless out here they say spiffy instead of cool or hot, and pop instead of soda, and a whole bunch of others like swell

So Red Delicious

i'll agree with the pop, spiffy is the kind of thing you'd expect an upper class gent to say over here (well, spiffING anyway, but close enough for government work!)
no offence intended, that's the whole idea of dialect, they're all different. i'm in the Royal Airforce, so my accent's been diluted by mixing with people all over the country.

Yes, I'm also sorry everyone for going off topic. Even THIS is off topic!
David I've sent you an email, don't be scared I'm not a freak.
I should try that bebo thing but you know me...

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

sanguine wrote:

well our accents vary greatly over hear i lived in conneticut must my life so im nearly accentless out here they say spiffy instead of cool or hot, and pop instead of soda, and a whole bunch of others like swell

One of my room-mates in college had his brother for a visit.  Neither one drank very much usually, but on this particular occaission I had just been given a refrigerator full of delicious and rather strong homemade beer.  So they got to drinking and talking.  Now, their parents were an interesting mix.  Both were immigrants to the US.  Mom from Germany and Dad from India.  As they got to drinking, even though both had been raised in northern Virginia and generally carried no accent I could detect, my roomate started displaying an Indian accent and his brother a German one.  The more they drank, the stronger the accents.  Very entertaining.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

that sounds weird in an awseome way, for some resaon every once in a while i take on a southern drift no idea why.  and i love imitating other peoples accents its great.

So Red Delicious

I was on your website acme, looks interesting.
About accents in the USA:
THIS REALLY FELT WEIRD: I was busy to follow route 66, and I still call this holiday as the BLUES vacation. Starting in Chicago (Chicago blues) Saint Louis (again blues) driving through MISSOURI, I was told that this state is often called MISERY, so IS THIS STATE really so poor? But I drove from the North to the South, to end at a crossroad one to Arkansas the other to Tennessee, where I had to be in Memphis and Nashville, going back to Louisiana (New Orleans, another music stop) and to Houston (Texas Blues) THIS WAS MY BEST HOLIDAY I EVER HAD. Coming back to Missouri, the WEIRD fact was, stopping to eat, going back South, I stopped as usual to enter a Pawnshop. The ACCENT there was 100% southern, 10 miles earlier it was still 100% Northern accent: where do you Americans draw the line between NORTH and SOUTH?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

I was on your website acme, looks interesting.
where do you Americans draw the line between NORTH and SOUTH?

It's a thing called "The Mason-Dixon Line."

You really have to go back and study our Civil War, it's roots, and our reconstruction period to understand the dichotomy that exists between Dixie and everywhere else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_Line

That sounds like a fantastic vacation you took.   You should do it again, except add "Sample various Barbeque styles" to your list of things to do.  The stuff you get in Chicago is radically different from the stuff you get in Austin, which is radically different from what you get in the Carolinas.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Once you get out west the Mason-Dixon line doesn't apply.  Then it relates more to who fought for the North and who fought for the South.  Or, whether their grandparents called it the Civil War or the War of Northern Aggression. 

Me, I come from Appalachia and speak a pretty darn good hillbilly, which doesn't change much on your relation to the Mason-Dixon Line. 

The biggest change in the North vs. South thing is food.  My uncle and father (Pennsylvanians) were taking me to college in Virginia.  We stopped for the night near the border of West Virginia and Virginia down below Pittsburgh.  In the morning, we drove a little and got into Virginia where we stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast.  The waitress brought grits for each of us.  My uncle says, "I don't want grits."  The waitress asked, "So then why did you order breakfast?"  She left the grits.  I ate them.  Although I've lived in Virginia for 24 of my 41 years, I am still a Damn Yankee.  The difference between a Damn Yankee and a Yankee is that a Yankee is someone from the North and a Damn Yankee is someone from the North who stays. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Or, you could just ask a damn yankee.  big_smile

ive been called a damn yankee before from the people in in nebraska and i fell out of my chair laughing i distinguish north and south by saying any one from virginia down on the coast and out here form kansas down

So Red Delicious

In Seattle, anything beyond Tacoma is "the south" and anything past North Bend is "east."  big_smile