Topic: Acoustic/Electric and amp

I have a Fender acoustic/electric, and plan on buying an amp soon. I know they make acoustic amps, but plan on getting an electric guitar soon and was wondering what would be the pitfalls if I just bought a regular electric amp as apposed to an acoustic/electric amp. Thanks

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Re: Acoustic/Electric and amp

None at all.

Get a tube amp, and everything will be fine.

Those Fenders are sweet, BTW.  I play an acoustic through one, and love the sound it makes.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

yeah I obviously don't know squat about amps... what's the difference between a tube amp and a regular amp, although I've heard people say tube amps produce much better tone

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Tube amps produce a much richer, vibrant tone, and they are louder watt for watt than a solid state device.  Tube amps use old fashioned vacuum tubes rather than transistors.   I don't know why they sound better, but it's pretty much an undisputed fact that they do.

etc_04 wrote:

yeah I obviously don't know squat about amps... what's the difference between a tube amp and a regular amp, although I've heard people say tube amps produce much better tone

Their are amps that use vacuum tubes ie: tube amps and solidstate or transistor amps that use all circuitry in stead of tube amps. jeromeoneil is correct in the tonal discription of a tube amp.

Bootlegger.

so I'm guessing tube amps are much more expensive?

-James Marshall Hendrix

etc_04 wrote:

so I'm guessing tube amps are much more expensive?

Watt for watt they can be.  Because they're louder, though,  you can get a smaller tube, so the price tends to even out for what you get.

You can find decent 10-15W practice tubes in the $100 - $150 range.  Shop around and see what you can find.

The real drawback is that the tubes are somewhat akin to a light bulb, and need replacing every couple of years.

But that tone is awesome.

Tone is everyting it seems with guitars.  And, as jerome.oneil stated, tube amps will require replacement of tubes from time to time.  Tube amps are so cool and sound amazing, but there are amps out there that come darn close to tube amps but are 100% solid state.  Now me having a Line 6 (a solid-state amp that emulates tube tone), I can't get too personal on this subject.  I'll just say that I'd try out tube amps and solid state amps before I made a choice for sure.  You may find that a tube amp is the sweetest thing you've heard and just what you want and you may find something all together different in a modeling amp.  Of course price plays into this quite a bit too.  Also...getting a good amp for your electric purchase, like a modeling amp, will be great for an acoustic/electric.  I play my acoustic through my Line 6 all the time (on a clean channel) and it sounds great.  I can also dial in Reverb/Chorus/Delay/Compression and so on to make it even better.  As good as acoustic amps are, you will never miss one if you get a good modeling amp for an electric and play your acoustic on one of the preset CLEAN channels.  Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile