Topic: Beginner - best way to progress?

I've started playing recently and am enjoying it greatly, although I haven't any lessons. Lessons are an option but are very expensive. I have been looking on the internet for lessons, and am thinking about buying "Jamorama" - it's around £20. Is this a good idea or not?!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Beginner - best way to progress?

Hey there jtrusuk, I havent been playin too long, about 7 months or so and haven't had 1 lesson yet. I only speak for myself but found that startin out with easy 3 chord songs that i know is the easiest way. Plenty of practice is the key and you'll soon be playin better and better. I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve really though, cos I only started playin cos it's fun and I think that's what it's all about at the end of the day. Anyway, hope i've helped in some small way!! (probably not) ha ha ha. Good luck and keep strumming

Thanks, I would like to get a lot better though so I might have lessons.

Has anyone else heard about Jamarama? It gives you 100 video lessons, pages of info etc etc for a small fee?

Lessons are, more times than not, great. My musical experiences have taught me that the best way to learn and grow as a musician is to play with many, many different people. You may be better or worse than the person you're jammin' with but you can almost always learn somethin' from everyone.
As far as finding an instructor if you choose to go that route, is to go out and listen to some live music in your area. Determine which musician you dig the most and tell 'em how much you admire their musical abilities.   Ask them if they give lessons. This elimates a step in screening your instructor for compatibility with you and your musical aspirations. A good instructor won't be concerned about impressing you with their playing. They will, however, be concerned with showing you, as clearly and efficiently, in as little time as possible, how to improve and grow as a musician. The ultimate key to growth though is with the student and how much devotion to the instrument they give.

Give everything but up.

I agree with Southpaw , playing with different people strengthens your playing . It's a great way to highlight your strong and weak points.

May I suggest not worrying about the "best" way to progress and just worry about "whether" you are progressing?  The best can frequently be the enemy of the merely useful.  It is far more important to progress than it is to progress optimally. 

As far as lessons, I'm quite convinced that there is no best.  There is only best FOR SOME and then only at certain times in their lives and only if the purposes coincide.  What works for me may not work for you, and so on.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss what works and doesn't, but it does mean that if you read something is the "best" and doesn't work for you that you shouldn't let that frustrate you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by wormproof101 2007-07-29 21:48:12)

Everyone's different, so the best way can change from one person to another.  I agree with what other people have said about playing with other people and playing songs you know.  Aside from that, I also recommend learning some music theory.  You don't have to go to college or anything for it, but learn how scales are constructed and how chords are made from them.  Aside from being pretty interesting, it can really help you find out how to make chords that you don't know and really understand what 'sus2' 'maj7' '+5' 'o7' and all the other crazy chords you'll undoubtedly run into!  Once you start a little bit on this, you can think about it when you're not playing guitar, which really helps you practice all day everyday

I agree with wormproof, having the basics of theory under your belt does help you. Learn companion chords (makes working your songs out much easier) Learn the basics of reading music and learn the neck notes.  Scales are very good because they improve dexterity and finger movement. At the end of the day it depends what you want to get out of it.
The best way is to find a few songs that you like and learn to play them. That way you learn a few chords everytime and you get to wow your friends and family with your great musical skill!
But don't forget to try a bit of the theory.
By the way, you can try a program called Play Guitar. It's reasonably good.