1 (edited by (0)==#paranormal guitar 2007-07-28 17:23:11)

Topic: Favourite Acoustic solo

Some of mine are Classical Gas (which I hope to learn) by Eric Clapton, and Antonella's Birthday by Tommy Emannuel. I must have listened to Classical Gas about... 5 times today big_smile. I might listen to it again! Does anyone know any good music for it, I can't find anything good?

Thankyou for your replies, smile

Will

PS: yikes Wow, they just mentioned Eric Clapton on the radio! Weird.

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

2 (edited by toadocean 2007-07-28 17:34:38)

Re: Favourite Acoustic solo

Dave Mathews had a solo on his very very very first album or EP - I'll Back You UP off of the Remember Two Things EP.  It was prior to Under the Table and Dreaming.  I'm not even a huge DM fan, but the solo in it was amazing and simple.

There was an album named Neck & Neck that was a collaboration between Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler.  One of the songs on it is "There'll Be Some Changes Made" in which Chet Atkins threatens to go pop and "start wearing makeup like Jackson and Prince..."   Anyway, the two of them go back and forth trying to show off to one another in the song.  Chet Atkins has some classic stage talk.  After Mark Knopfler more or less starts the duel, Chet Atkins says, "You've played before."  Just after blazing through some amazing work of his own, he says, "I learned this is summer Bible school."  The final solo is Mark Knopfler's during which Chet Atkins says "Don't make me look bad.  Respect for your elders," and "You're pretty good but you're no Mark Knopfler."  I recommend the album in general, and for extremely good solos that song in particular.   

For those who've heard Boots Randolph's "Yakkety Sax" cover - perhaps while watching the chase scenes of Benny Hill - you can get to hear a cover of the tune by the composer for the instrument it was intended, "Yakkety Ax".  The lyrics show Chet Atkins humble and humorous side, "I'm confessin' I never took a lesson.  All my notes are just a matter of guessin', hopin' they'll come out in a way that'll make that yakkety sound.  If your hands start clappin' and toes start tappin' I'll have done what I wanted to from way just a-playin' my yakkety ax." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I dig these guys..

Trey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHUppEEbXDM

Bela
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWGkHXnC-LA

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

This site has some versions of Classical Gas...written in sheet music as well as tab...

www.powertabs.net/

Hell Freezes Over Hotel California, Vince Gill and Larry Carlton "Gracious"

Sweet Georgia Brown , Doc Watson

Ron

Pawn Shop Blues , Brownie MaGhee

one caper after another

bob campeau wrote:

Hell Freezes Over Hotel California, Vince Gill and Larry Carlton "Gracious"

Was thinking the same thing Bob ... Hell Freezes Over, "Hotel California"

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I have heard that Classical Gas is not by Clapton, but rather Mason Williams.  Perhaps Clapton covered it though.  My favorite acoustic solo is called "Song For Life" by Eric Johnson.  Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV5dMDId7uY

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Anything by Segovia smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

12 (edited by bob campeau 2009-03-24 01:55:50)

LesPaulGuy wrote:
bob campeau wrote:

Hell Freezes Over Hotel California, Vince Gill and Larry Carlton "Graciaus"

Was thinking the same thing Bob ... Hell Freezes Over, "Hotel California"

I saw them do it live shortly after and it wasn't quite as good because they started it with a trumpet solo, I like the trumpet but I still liked the hell freezes over opening better. The solos back and forth between Vince and Larry kind of reminds me of Hotel Calif, its on Larry Carlton's Fingerprints album obviously its not live but I really like it. Check it out you might to.

http://www.amazon.com/Fingerprints-Larr … B00004GOVS