1 (edited by ChuffinEllstrummer 2017-04-05 17:58:57)

Topic: Sausage fingers

Greetings, I,m the ultimate with arthritic sausage fingers.
Played acoustic and twelve string when I was young and innocent (as if!)
Recently tried a suprano uke and loved it, added a tenor to my collection and loved it.
My latest addition was to convert an 8 string mandolin to an 8 string uke. Wow. New bridge, nut and strings, tuned to C , what a sound. And with my sausages I can even play it. Imagine holding down the D chord on and 8 string with two fingers. Believe me it works even with fast chord changes.
So, don,t be disheartened, we ukers are never defeated.
By the way, my name comes from my wife,s exclamation when I started out, (as in- what the chuffin ell is that noise) poor soul. I,m slowly educating her.

Re: Sausage fingers

Well Mr Chuff welcome to Chordie. So glad you figured out how to get around your sausage digits hope to hear more from you tell us about your progress and if you have any questions please ask we are all friendly here and eager to help.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Welcome Mr Chuff if I was to form another band I will call it. Stop That Noise my wifes coments on most of my attempts at music.https://soundcloud.com/eatleville

Cool idea with the mando.  I'd never have thought of something like that.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-04-07 09:24:13)

Welcome to Chordie, Mr. Chuff ...

I love your explanation of how your name was created lol I'm dealing with large hands that are also arthritic, so I hear you loud and clear about finding "work-a-rounds" which still allow you to play. Almost anything can be accommodated with a bit of imagination / innovation. I moved to a wider-necked acoustic a couple of years ago (my Cordoba) and that has helped immensely. A classical guitar is also good when the hands are hurting, as it has a wide neck, and nylon strings require less force to fret than metal ones do.