Topic: Strumming Patterns

I am a new player and have looked at some of the easy songs that are online. Like Father and Son or Cats in the Cradel for example, I do not know what strumming pattern I should use ? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Strumming Patterns

Check this out:

http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html

Well usually when I get the chords to a song I listen to it on a CD or something and try to play WITH the recording. That always help you pick up on the rythym.
  One thing I learned that might help if ur having trouble is that beginners tend to grip the pick really tight trying not to drop it... Loosen up and hold it firmly but not TOO firmly and keep your movements loose and flowing. Dont be scared of upstrokes smile

All You Need is Love smile

does anyone know the stumming for "teardrops on my guitar" by taylor swift

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

i am also begining to learn but i only know the up and down strum...
i wanted to learn how to play the bass with the alternating treble strings. how to do it?

lexibabe wrote:

i am also begining to learn but i only know the up and down strum...
i wanted to learn how to play the bass with the alternating treble strings. how to do it?

Do you mean alternating bass. If so, I just posted some examples on the electric forum

For those who never visit I've posted patterns for ska, punk, blues, funk and fingerpicking in the past few months . Have a look and add your tips/suggestions/songs

7 (edited by joebaxi1 2007-08-19 17:23:59)

well ive just started to realise the best thing for me is , use the the tab with lyrics wrote underneath .   like say this 
Gm
Remember when you were young,

Gb                 Bb
You shone like the sun.

Eb   Eb/D   Cm Cm/Bb F
Shine on you crazy diamond.

start with any patteren , say a basic 1,2,3,4,  but make sure to land the chord change where it wants to be  ,, 

so =  -1,2,3,4, on Gm --- the 1,2,3,on Gb then 4 on the Bb 

what you will eventually find is that , you will feel what the rhythm should be , 
i am still working on songs that a know ,inside out & back to front ,this helps aswell . 
you are not concentrating so much on the words , i find , hope this little bit helps 

joe

when I'm listening to a song and I'm trying to pick out the stum pattern, sometimes I find it difficult to pick up the sound of the guitar beacause there are so many instruments

Guitarmania_1 - Take that as a blessing!  It opens things up for you to exercise your creativity.  You can work a bass line into your guitar playing, or rhythmically strum or tap on the guitar case some of the purcussion, or combine lead and rhythm in new ways. 

You can't do a five or ten piece band cover on a single instrument and play it exactly the way the guitar player plays it on the record.  So, you're off the hook from having to duplicate anything.  Get the chords and then work out how YOU want it to sound, how YOU think the music enhances the lyrics and the tone of the song.  Have fun with it, rather than letting it bother you.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi,

With regard to "Father and Son" I read the strumming pattern from the song as down,skip,down,down,up,down - changing chords on the last "down" (hope this makes sense) , and that's basically it for the whole song apart from some filling in when going to the chorus . The original recording is pretty clear and easy enough to get the pattern from.

Hope this helps!

Shane

I have always found that the best way for me to figure out a pattern is to listen and then play the song with my eyes closed. It takes away other stimuli and helps me focus on the music.

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Could anybody give me the strum (rhythm) for 'City of New Orleans' in the Down/Up/Skip format that Kosan is using in post #10 for Father and Son?

I'm new to the guitar. I've taught myself most of the most common chords and can change chords pretty well, but I'm having trouble with the rhythm.

If anyone could help me with the strum to this song, or any other song that I know so I can at least play the correct rhythm for one song, I'd appreciate it. If I can strum one song correctly, it might help me identify the rhythms for  other songs.

thanks

hey im looking for the strumming pattern for taylor swift's song change. i'm a beginner and love the song. i have tried playing along to it but it does not help me much sad  any help?

I have posted some help on other strumming threads, and my advice to all is, when your starting out, usually you strum DOWN on the beat. Thats not to say you cant strum down off the beat too. But for songs like father and son. Its going to be a down strum on the beat.

Father and son: (1)DOWN skip (2)DOWN down up (3)DOWN skip (4)DOWN down up  (I havent listened to the originial anytime soon, but I assume its somewhere close).

If you are just starting out and are getting use to the beginners chords. Try just strumming on the beat. (1.. 2.. 3.. 4..).

This will help with the chord changes.

Have fun

Daomor

[url=http://www.newbieguitarlessons.com]www.newbieguitarlessons.com[/url]