Topic: singing with ye own voice

After a post old doll put on another thread, i thought I would put this in here.

( I copied and pasted this just before I hit submit when i was in the other thread)

Old Doll wrote:

My pet hates,
are some of the Irish Country/ Western singers here! Great gutteral Irish Accents { nothing wrong with that }But when they sing they use an American twang to there singing { Nothing wrong with American accents either} Why cant  they just sing with there own natural voices?

Old Doll.

Yer going to hate me sometimes then ,lol. I canny help it sometimes but I start singing with, not my voice. I have no idea why!!
My only guess is when I am doing a cover  start to imitate the singer I am copying?? I try not to but I think I keep doing it unintentionally.
So the only ones it is ok for me to imitate would be the proclaimers or Ian davison or the corries. All other scottish singers I know of dont sing with a scottish accent.

I think it is a bit like acting. Actors put on silly voices or accents to play a part so would it not be ok for a singer to do the same?

who in here sings with their own accent, or thinks they sing with a different voice?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: singing with ye own voice

I'm a classically trained opera singer so when I sing I sound like an Italian who's slightly confused. Even when I sing in english or french or german or....
When I sing non-opera songs I have a very british accent because my gran was british and she used to sing with us. No american accent though.

Hi Upyourkilt,
I have no problem with  how people sing! But its so false and funny  to hear these American twangs comin from big Irish singers!

Poalo Nutini, Sings Rewind, Brilliant!

Same guy Singing Caledonia, with his own beautiful Scottish accent is

incredible!  Well worth a listen to! "Very acceptable as he is Scottish." Its not so much the accents but the add ons! My sister in law is Scottish and she sings "The Clyde" with a few bevvies , still with her Scottish accent! after 30 years of living here!

How many wonderful singers from the first note they sing are instantly recognisable? There is to me something very individual  and wonderful about this! I guess thats how so many of them become such big stars in there own right.
But i do  respect the right to you opinion!

Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Doll

I think Poalo Nutini is a really good singer BUT, he sounds jamacian,lol, and he only comes from a few miles away from me.
I downloaded his album but I dont really like it that much. I do like that new shoes song but gets a bit edious after a while, and in thatsong I think he sounds australian,lol

I can do a good irish accent to, goes well with the irish songs I do,lol

Ken

Ok sunshine your on!
record one and lets hear you?

I await your melodious voice! lol Now im off out to do a wee bit of singing myself. Ill sing especially in a Scottish accent for you !! Donald wheres you trewsers? lol Let the wind blow high lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalaal. ill finish this one tomorrow for you! Now i bet you cant wait?
Have a good night UYK!
Old Doll.

Old doll.

Well I've been trying to figure out how to sing with Frank Sinatra's voice, but so far it sounds more like Stomper the tone-deaf moose. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I know this thread is about phony accents and such, but here is my angle:

My singing range is tenor - I can sing lower but it really lacks the tone and resonance and sounds drab.  Plus my vocal chords wear out quickly if I try to sing lower.

There was a time when I tried very hard to develop a 'more macho' lower singing voice, but it was hopeless.  So, I learned to be proud of my tenor voice.

It also helped to discover that females are somehow naturally wild about a tenor voice . . . don't really know why, but it is true.  From young ladies to great-grandmas, they all respond very very favorably to tenor singing.

So - moral to the story is this:  If you also have a high/tenor voice be proud of it and learn to use your super powers wisely.  Don't try to make your tenor voice sound like Johnny Cash . . . it just won't work.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James,
you have a beautiful quality to your voice! Very Distinctive! Now thats exactly
the point i am trying to make about ones own natural singing voice.  Just  sing and be your self! and allow others to enjoy it!

Old Doll.

ha ha, but what if their natural singing voice has an american twag sound to it, even if they have a strong german accent? :LOL:

is that ok? lol

or doll, are you talking about people that deliberatly ut on an accent to sing with? this I still see nothing wrong, unless you are trying to sound like johnny cash.:lol:
I had better stop trying to do Johnny's voice lol like james says, it just doent work.

Ken

Good morning UYK!
I do believe you damage your own vocal chords when trying to sing like someone else! there  pitch and range can be so different to yours! It can put strain on your own vocal chords.

Had the great pleasure of spending time with and listening to "Dave Gibb" last week! Mother of God, that Mans voice and songs are  God given!  You must know Him UYK! as he is one of your own?.

Old Doll.

11 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-08-05 09:21:02)

Nope, cant say I have heard of him O.D ( short for old doll,lol)

Yer probably right about straining my vocal cords, thats why I have this damn nodule growing now,lol.
But at least they can zap me with a laser gun and get rid of it. I still have not heard from these voice training people. Thas been three weeks they have had to get in touch and nothing.

I am going try sticking to one of my books for singing/playing. My folk book, at least I should not strain too much.
I am also going thru all my books to see if I can sing in a different key that feel better to sing. I am trying all songs with capo, without capo, transpoing from C's to G's and G's to C's and C' to D's.
It is annoying my mate a bit I think but he is not the one singing my sangs so tough!!

Ken

p.s. O.D do you know how to say "get it up ye" in gaelic? I know there is a difference with irish and scottish gaelic but either is fine,lol ( and it is not to be aimed at yourself,lol)

HI UYK.
below is the link for your fellow Artist. His web site  has lovely pictures of where he lives in Scotland!.  He has so many great songs. "
The leaving" is probably my favourite! He has a song "Degoolified" which somehow i feel you might learn with your sense of humour!!  There is another one about "Men and Fridays nights" again i feel you may learn this one!

There is no direct translation for your request?

This one word is commonly used in Cork  City slang! "Gattle" meaning looking for woman!
The one thats used mostly here if someone is annoying you! "Póg Ma Thoin!,

Pronounced! "Poag Mah Hone" meaning "Kiss My A##!  My Old  teacher would be so proud of this! {i dont think }
There are plenty more but i will email them privately, as they are not for this site! Ok.
Let me know what you think of Dave Gibb?

Old Doll.

www.myspace.com/davegibb

thanks doll,
I have heard of that kiss me bum,lol
My mate lives in Cork, in ballycotton, he just built his own house there.

I will look up that web site, cheers

Ken

Hi UYK,
Well isnt that a coincidence! My Sister who lives in Holland owns "A beautiful Bungalow their" Her summer Home in BallyCotton! for some 12 years now!  I know that place like the back of my hand.  Great little pubs, people, and fresh fish from the harbour!  Ballymaloe, Darina Allans famous cookery school, Stephen Pierce, one of my favourite potters! Great cliff walks! Abundant nature! And best of all one of my lovely Brothers, lives just down the road in Middleton.
Another great little town!  Now UYK if you have never been, put it on your list to do! but bring your guitar, as music is always welcome around those parts.
Be careful on the cliff walk? you just might bump into this Old Doll. lol.

Slán.

small world? no it is very big but isnt it amazing how people know people that know people?
It is Middleton that my mate lives in so no doubt he wil know who you know, or at least his fiance, Liz, Canny remember her surname though,lol, he is called Royce and is scottish.
he has been telling me to go to visit him for ages now but it is hard to find time when i have money and can get away. I went a few times to visit him in Dublin when he stayed there.

Right, I looked up that guy, I liked his songs he has o myspace. I also noticed he is doing a gig to commemorate the folk singer Ian Davison and 50 yeas of songwriting and playing, the same guy I met 2 weeks ago in a pub and my wife met last week in another pub. He also has a few songs online. I just learned one of them" coming home to glasgow"  http://www.iandavisonsongs.co.uk/

if I ever pop over on a ryan air cheap flight, I will let ye know and I will bring my guitar, tamborine,jew harp,uke and a tom ( as in a drum)

Ken

Can we come too.....

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

errrmmm aye I suppose so,lol

My darling boxer,
My home is an open space to any one who feels like calling here! and if you want to visit Ballycotten! I will take you personnaly! I would love to show you around this place! You i feel would love my brother and his beautiful wife and family! and the Cork Area!
Old Doll.

Oh wow thanx. I spent 6 wks in Ireland back in '89. Swansea Cork ferry, then hitched inland to house sit for a friend of a friend, and can't for the life of me remember where its was. A beautiful farmhouse right out in the sticks. Loved it. Met some amazing local people, slate carvers, huge fans of Van Morrison. Good memories and the wine flowed.
From there hitched over to Kilarney and stayed with a friend up in the mountains for a couple of weeks, was the local village Muckross? Breathtaking.
Then back over again in 94, in my trusty old volkswagon camper. This time taking in lots more and spending more time taking in the great Irish hospitality. Went over as far as Schull, then headed north a little before heading back for Wales.
Yes I love Ireland a stunning country full of stunning people.
Hope the sun is shining with you today. Would love to come over some time again, and I will bring my geetar!!!! lotsa love

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

20 (edited by alvee33 2007-08-06 14:20:40)

Superb , Ken

Thanks for the link to Ian Davison. Couldny resist learning "The Muttonheid Wearies". Fantastic!

A songwriters songwriter for sure.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Ah Boxer,
Schull, Magnificent! they have great activities on at this time of year! Regattas, Out door céile, or Rock"n"Roll, with Sean Óg,"God bless ya Seaneen!" A lovely name for your Rock"N"Roll Band!" Many an ould dance i had in the harbour view! Regattas, Markets, Fish dishes to die for! Ah boxer look what you started!! now i want to pack, and head off again! My Beautiful Father-in-Law, was from West Cork.
May the light of heaven be shining on this man! Another one of  lifes finest!
Do you know boxer, our clan are like snuff at a wake! We are everywhere!
Maybe sometime we will go revisit some of these great places?
Old Doll.

Hi UYK,
I had never heard of "Ian Davison! His stuff is fantastic to read! apart from listening too. So Thanks for the intro!

Old Doll.

Singing with your own voice is one thing. Resonances take place in sinuses, cavities, and I am always embarrassed to hear my voice on a tape, like shooting a video. The voice is completely different in sound. And: I think it takes time before you are used to your voice.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Docphil!
My whole life i never liked the sound of my voice recorded?
But others always did! Thankfully!

Old Doll.

I believe that when you sing/play someone elses work you should put what ever spin
on it you want. Imitate them, sing it in your own dialect/language, or do what ever you
want. Who cares what others think? This is YOUR interpretation, NOT THEIRS!

Some folks CAN actually improve on the original, some cannot. Experimentation and
imitation is the way new acts/singers/players are born!