Topic: using a pick

I have been playing the guitar a few years. I am not really spectacular, but I do okay. My question is, I have never really felt comfortable using a pick on any kind of guitar. You think I can get away without really mastering the pick, just using my fingers for strumming, plucking, and lead guitar, even on the electric guitar?

Re: using a pick

YES............I'm the opposite of you, I'm hopeless at finger picking, but if you want some inspiration listen to Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)

ooops.........and Chet Atkins

Re: using a pick

Jo,

I only started using a pick recently.

I dont finger pluck much, just a little. I am a strummer and I was getting sick of my index finger nail filing down to blood sometimes against the strings.

I find strumming with the thumb is very dull sound.

So I started on the pick strumming. The chords sound clearer and better, my finger nail is a nice shape and no blood or sore finger.

A problem I did have was finding the right plectrum. I found they kept moving about and ended up falling out from my thumb and finger. And sometimes my hand would cramp up trying to hold it tight enough so it didnt move.

Resolved my problems a few ways. You can get plectrums with holes in the middle, this allows you finger and thumb skin to touch making it virtually impossible to slide away.

Also I dont use smooth picks, a pick with some embossed writing on it i.e. dunlop work for me.

Then you got the decision on thick or thin or in between,lol. Buy a few, you will find one to suit you.

Byefurthenoo

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending