Topic: NEW NAMES and DETERMINATIONS

As you all could read already, the word R&B, is in "my eyes" a wrong expression, used by musicians or singers like BEYONCE.............

- New for me is: CHRISTIAN MUSIC & INDIE music: I swear, before chordie, I never heard those words.
What kind of music is covered by Christian Music: is it a kind of new gospel, is it pop music played in a Church. What is the style ? I don't think, or am I wrong that HARD ROCK and Metal are in this music.
The same thing about Indie music: is it rock, pop, metal, rap?

I really like an answer, I can write a book about music, but I am absolutely not familiar with these expressions.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: NEW NAMES and DETERMINATIONS

indie music as far as I am led to believe is rock music that does not get mainstream airplay on radio. Or thats what it was before ut so many "indie" bands are in the charts now

there was a haevy rock band ( stinger?? ) that were christian rock band, Not quite too sure about the name but they wore yellow stripy costumes and looked like a bunch of ...........@%^%^&%^&%^&
I do not care too much for christian bands, I think  i willlabel myself an atheist musician if they can label themselves,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Christian music is a sort of pop music that often uses "uplifting" chord prgressions such as C F G and A E D A. The singing is usually soft and breathy and the words are somewhat cheesy in my opinion. Im a Christian and the music just doesn't hit me as...well... very good. It reminds me of something I would have listened to on cassette tape as a little kid.

Indie music is pretty self explanatory Indie is short for independent. It's usually a sort of alternative rock that expresses a strong opinion on something. but as ken said, more and more bands have adapted the indie/garage style so it's name has lost it's original meaning. Im still a fan of indie though. check out The Fratellis, or The Arctic Monkeys.

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

OH DEAR. My daughter asked me to pick up some indie cd's for her at the cd shop and I bought her some indian music! No wonder she just shook her head and sighed at me. I thought indie music was just an abbreviation for indian music! That explains alot!

Sockrocker has it just right for the Christian music.  It's a sort of folk/pop fusion.  I call them 7/11 songs.  Seven words repeated eleven times.  There are a few Christian themed bands I enjoy, Mercy Me and some of Randy Travis' latest releases are examples.  The bands I enjoy are bands that play Rock or Country with Christian themed lyrics, and not necessarily worship or praise music.  The difference between worship and praise music, I have yet to grasp.  I play in a worship band as a backup musician (will actually be getting stage time in a couple Sundays), but we tend to rock out a bit more than the mamby-pamby stuff I hear on the radio. 

Being Indie has more to do with whether the band has a contract with a recording lable or not and has very little to do with style of music.  There are gazillions of Indie bands.  With the advent of relatively inexpensive studio equipment, including mixing and production equipment, it's now possible for a band to have their own studio and publish their own CD's.  Then they can sell them through sites like CDBaby.com (great site, by the way) or their own web-sites.  One of my current favorites along this line is The Duhks out of Canada.  It's mostly music that doesn't fit neatly into Country, or Rock, or Folk.  The Duhks play music that blends elements of Celtic/Cape Breton, Rock, Folk, and Bluegrass.  Another of my favorites is Hillbilly Idol, a band whose slogan is "It's not your grandfather's country music, but he'd probably approve."  This weekend, I'm going to be meeting up with a buddy on a fishing trip.  He records music in his spare bedroom, publishes CDs on his home computer, and gives the music away as gifts to friends.  He could be consider an "Indie."  I call his style of music "campfire music", because that's where you're most likely to hear it.  Good stuff. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

So in fact you can add a guy like James Blunt into Christian?
I am a Christian too, but I am a little bit sceptic towards that word, because (that's just me") am afraid that this word is (ab)used to reach more people

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The definition of christian is a follower of "Christ". With that said being a true follower of "Christ' is not about religion as much as relationship with "Christ.

Bootlegger.

Morning Boot, you are still sleeping I guess, there are 4 time zones: from East TO WEST, NY: 3-6 hours sometimes 7 hours, depending on the so called gulfstream.
So this is written at 08:56 sharp, do you live in the 4 th zone, Seattle does, that's all I know.
But about Christian Music, I HATE TO BE THE NAUGHTY CRITICIST, for me, just me it seems a kind of PUBLICITY STUNT as well with all due respect for the hard working and good player, and also religions.
I am going to post a "silly, and more private topic, but I learn a lot here, but it is still a D that I get

9 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-10 18:39:22)

well it depends on which way you choose to DEFINE the words. Christian music to me is just music about Jesus (I'm thinking old bluegrass ballads or negro spirituals or some good rompin' stompin' heavenly highways) but within the last 10 years or so Christian music has become its own genre. Basically they have a watered down version of whatever's popular with lyrics that replace the themes of sex and alcohol with loving Jesus and having the joy of the Lord. Its disgusting really.
I've always figgered that if someone went to church they were looking for something DIFFERENT than what the world could offer them.... not a suckier version of what they can get on the radio.
'yuppie christians' as i like to call them seem to have this idea that if they can convinvce lost people that they're cool too they'll start coming to church (never mind the condition of thier SOULS just so long as they're down there shakin' it for Jesus tongue)

There is some genuinely good Gospel music out there though but it usually falls under the southern gospel style (which has become marketed more nowadays but most of what you'll hear isnt the real thing), or bluegrass gospel.

Southern Gospel music kind of cultivated from bluegrass and spirituals. Its played mainly in 6/8 rythym and is usually sung in four part harmony. It can use any kind of instrument but features mainly piano and organ. The songs follow a basic 1-2-1-3-1 pattern but use alot of seventh chords and ocassionally step out of the order with the fourth and fifth chords

Bluegrass Gospel is basically bluegrass but its sung in harmony. usually has mainly stringed instruments.

Spirituals were developed by african american slaves and usually held hidden messages. the harmony and patterns they used were really amazing considering they had no kind of musical education. In fact it would probly be an interesting thing to look up theres a lot of history there

I would reccomend looking up sacred harp singing too and do some reading on it, its really impressive

All You Need is Love smile

last_rebel wrote:

well it depends on which way you choose to DEFINE the words. Christian music to me is just music about Jesus (I'm thinking old bluegrass ballads or negro spirituals or some good rompin' stompin' heavenly highways) but within the last 10 years or so Christian music has become its own genre. Basically they have a watered down version of whatever's popular with lyrics that replace the themes of sex and alcohol with loving Jesus and having the joy of the Lord. Its disgusting really.
I've always figgered that if someone went to church they were looking for something DIFFERENT than what the world could offer them.... not a suckier version of what they can get on the radio.
'yuppie christians' as i like to call them seem to have this idea that if they can convinvce lost people that they're cool too they'll start coming to church (never mind the condition of thier SOULS just so long as they're down there shakin' it for Jesus tongue)n

Actuallly there are some pretty good Christians rockers out there.(DC Talk, Toby Mac)
You just have to look a little harder.

You seem to be a little uptight about the music but I think whatever gets kids on Jesus' side cant be damning their souls to hell.

Last rebel you remind me of this guy right here:

http://content.answers.com/main/content … nkHill.jpg

Bootleger,

I could not agree more!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

12 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-10 22:31:47)

highwayman61 wrote:
last_rebel wrote:

'yuppie christians' as i like to call them seem to have this idea that if they can convinvce lost people that they're cool too they'll start coming to church (never mind the condition of thier SOULS just so long as they're down there shakin' it for Jesus tongue)n

Actuallly there are some pretty good Christians rockers out there.(DC Talk, Toby Mac)
You just have to look a little harder.

You seem to be a little uptight about the music but I think whatever gets kids on Jesus' side cant be damning their souls to hell.

Last rebel you remind me of this guy right here:

http://content.answers.com/main/content … nkHill.jpg

LOL i love hank hill.... what i said was that people running churches seem to be more concerned with the 'young' image being present in thier church than whether or not the kids attending have had a genuine salvation experience and relationship with Jesus Christ.NOT that the music itself was damning ppl... and personally I haven;t found many modern christian bands that are any good but i didn;t mean there weren;t any...... and by the way Toby Mac and DC talk would make hank hill go "Buuugh!" cuz he's awesome like that... I think you need to see the episode where bobby joins a youth band. I like the way HAnk said it... he showed bobby a box of stuff he used to play with but he'd gotten tired of (beanie babies, tomagotchies). He said " I just don't want Jesus to end up in this box bobby"

All You Need is Love smile

lol sorry for the mixup
actually I DID se that episode...I love King of the Hill

r&b again: rhythm & blues ye or no

r&b again: rhythm & blues ye or no

I know if you go too an aferican american church in the U.S. yes they do r&b mostly,ihe other christian churchs it is like pop and gospal .

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

upyerkilt wrote:

indie music as far as I am led to believe is rock music that does not get mainstream airplay on radio. Or thats what it was before ut so many "indie" bands are in the charts now

there was a haevy rock band ( stinger?? ) that were christian rock band, Not quite too sure about the name but they wore yellow stripy costumes and looked like a bunch of ...........@%^%^&%^&%^&
I do not care too much for christian bands, I think  i willlabel myself an atheist musician if they can label themselves,lol

Ken

lol That was Stryper, but lets remember this was the pennicle of the "Hair Band" they did look abit "light in the saddle"  They were pop metal for the girls.  Yet they were cool enough at the time to bring my buddy and myself into the fold.  We would cruse the mall and the main strip blasting out the Battle hym of the republic by them and a few others. this version is really good.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhkYdD-QlKk.  The band that I really got into who was heavier is one called Barren Cross.  Very Iron maiden influenced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpMDb1KAgfA
6 years ago I had a christian rock radio show. it was called GODROCKS.  I played both of these bands pluse the current ones of the day(IE Toby Mack and little did anyone know then Chevelle) Chevelle has since gone mainstream yet retain some of their core values. 

I will agree that many of the newer church bands are watering down music and replaceing lyerics with "praise" lyerics.  My neighbor is a Awesome guitarist and he has always played in his church bands.  He invited me to one rehersal, I kept waiting for some powerfull accents to wake me up. They never happened.  I grew up with a father who is a Episcopal minister.  I may not be as christian as i should be, but all the years in the church taught me on thing.  PIPE ORGANS RUEL.  A well played organ (no side comments LOLOL) will totally rock the heavans.  Dad lead the campagin to have a whole new organ installed in the church in WV, After the organ was installed, my dad caught my brother and his friend in the church and my brothers friend was playing Boston tunes on it.  Sounded great,,but dad was pissed LOLOL.

So if the music pulls young folks in and keeps them out of trouble,, what ever works.  I personally like the stuff that gets your blood pumping.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

On the topic of "Being Christian” I find that it’s become a way to try and tell someone else your better than them.  I get so sick of all the ppl who profess to being so blessed by god or special because they have been "saved" and then become evangelical.  Hey if it works for you great but using it on Face Book on all your post does not equal true Christianity.  You can keep it to yourself. Do not try and tell me how special you are because you’re more Christian than the next person.  That would be an OXYMORON.
As I stated in the last post.  I was raised in the church, I have good values and the 10 commandments are a good set of guide rules.  I am spiritual; I like to think I treat others as I would like to be treated.  As I got older I just began to realize that looking at history, the worst crimes against mankind have been and still are done in the name of religion.  I loved and still hold close to my heart the many summers at church camp.  Yes we went to church every day, but there were kids there who were not Episcopal, had never been to a church before or after.  We got an intimate dose of spirituality and being able to trust a total stranger after spending a week or two with them.  Did kids leave being born again? Once in a while, but more often than not they left with a bond of friendship that still holds after 40 years

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

beamer, upyerkilt left Chordie a couple of years ago this is a 2007 post brought forward by Doc..
ark.

Beamer - We should talk sometime.  Grab a brew or float some ice cubes and have a conversation on this topic. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

As  a side note, I rarelyget on  my soapbox about religion.  If anyone was offended, that was not my intent. I broke my own ruel about talking religion.  - I usually dont, that and politics.  with a lawyer uncle and minister father,,,, I listened to too many arguements on church and state.  I also grew up with a inside perspective as a PK. (Preachers Kid).  If you have ever dated the preachers daughter / son (joke intended and also a great song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNdUt0sTRuI ) then you might have a clue. LOLOLOL

22 (edited by naolslager 2012-11-22 14:10:45)

Zurf wrote:

Sockrocker has it just right for the Christian music.  It's a sort of folk/pop fusion.  I call them 7/11 songs.  Seven words repeated eleven times. 
- Zurf

Zurf,
At the risk of being labeled a heathen your "7/11" concept has kept me from listening to this type of music. Unimaginative.
dj

p.s. When I look at the categories of the music I've bought recently from iTunes, they almost all fall into the "Indie Folk" category. I had no idea but apparently now I can say I listen to indie folk. I will keep my pinkie finger outstretched on my adult beverage while doing so!

I'm a Christian, but I do not care for the music played on Christian music stations.  Some folks might label you a heathen for avoiding it, but I won't be one of them.  I do like Mercy Me, though, because they don't do that 7/11 music.  To some degree, I wonder if the 7/11 'faith and worship' music is appropriate.  It's meant to be repetitive to help create a mood of worship, which is more or less mindlessly repeating themselves as the heathens do.  That's exactly what Paul warned AGAINST doing.  There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but it's also not helpful according to him.  Anyway, back to Mercy Me, they have well-written songs played with good musicianship with the theme of the lyrics being about their faith.  Also there's some good stuff coming out in the Country genre, like Randy Travis "Keep Your Lure in the Water" and "Pray for the Fish" (which is a humorous though Christian themed song), and Josh Turner's "Long Black Train."  So, I'm not opposed to the music thematically, and I'm not opposed to the performance because the musicians are often very talented, but just to the poorly written songs.  It's almost modern chant, but with weak meter.  Chant with poor meter is to music what greeting card doggerel is to poetry. 

- Zurf

Please note "as the heathens do" is directly from Scripture and was literal.  Paul was discipling newly converted genuine heathens and so when he said not to do repetitive chanting as the heathens do, his audience knew exactly what that meant.

I stayed out of this whole thing. Zurf and Beamer know my opinion and this is not the place for it. Oh- happy thanksgiving everyone

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.