Topic: Just a suggestion

What if we had a section to just discuss strumming patterns? Seems like a popular topic

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Re: Just a suggestion

I'd prefer a section on music theory to discuss rhythm, and one for technique to discuss how to better control your instrument.

"Strumming patterns" are a bad way to describe those things.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey, that sounds like a great idea etc, I absolutely suck at strumming! I can pick extremely well, but never can get strumming right. Well, as long as I don't want to sing along. If I don't sing, then I can strum but add the singing then it all goes to pot!
I don't care what you call it...rythm or strumming patterns, I'd just like to be able to do it!

I THINK THE SITES OK AS IT IS, WE HAVE A VARIETY OF TOPICS AND CHAT CNR IS FOR ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO DISCUSS SO WHEN SOMETHING WORKS WELL ITS BEST TO LEAVE IT BE...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

echoingwhat dadd says.

Too many sections is not nly harder to moderate but it maes you ask the question "where do we stop"?

anything other than the subjects that are already on can get mentioned in here " chordie chat".

I think all other places cover what Chordie is about.

Ken
p.s. anyone want to disagree, I would love to hear opinions. dont hold back ,let your fingers type away your thoguhts, as long as they are good ones and of constructive critisism)

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I don't think it's a question about too many sections, but appropriate sections.  I don't think there should be separate electric and acoustic sections, for example, and I'd like to see regionalized forums to aid in connecting musicians with each other.

But really, a music forum of this sort that has no area to talk about the actual mechanics and science of making music is missing something.

I have a degree in music but unfortunately guitar is not one of my subjects, so where it concerns guitar I am an absolute layman(or laywoman, if you prefer). I would appreciate any help whether in a different section or not. But even so, I don't know if I would want chordie to turn into a corner for music intellectuals. I like chordie because anyone can use it, a beginner in guitar like me or an obviously advanced guitarist like jerome. It's not the theory I batlle with...it's the actual playing. I decided to not go for formal lessons because I wanted to experience the guitar in a totally new way for me. So hey, whether it's in a new section or still in this one...just keep the info coming! Jerome have considered opening a bebo acc. I'd go there if you would impart some of your knowledge about the guitar and you could perhaps discuss more of the technical aspects that you seem to have studied.

There are lots of corners in Chordie, so I don't think there's a risk of it turning into a corner for music intellectuals.   (I've been called many things, but that's a first.  big_smile  )  But I *am* a theory geek, and there is no corner for me and other like minded folks.   

I'm not an advanced player by any stretch of the imagination.  I've been studying and playing music my whole life, but that was all horns and percussion.   I picked up the guitar two years ago (and the bass two months ago).  And while I would say I have advanced quickly with the instrument  (I'm rehearsing with a band, planning a demo CD and we're ready for paid gigs), that is only for two reasons.  1.  I have established, disciplined practice routines learned from years playing other instruments, and 2.  I have a pretty good grasp of theory.   With the guitar, like the keyboard, theory can be applied in a practical manner directly to the instrument.  You can use theory to create music, and hear the results immediately.    The fret board's layout ties directly back to it.   Theory will make you a better musician and artist.

The other area that I'd advocate for is a "technique" section for the discussion of scales, drills, exercises,  picking and other things necessary to play well.  That would be of a direct benefit to someone like you, Nadine.  You're someone who has a grasp of theory, but has not yet developed the technique to manipulate the fretboard.  That's something that I always advocate;  Technique first, artistry second.   It does not matter how much your artistic blood is flowing, or what your creative intentions are if you can't manipulate the fretboard in a predictable way.   Playing the guitar (or any instrument for that matter) is primarily a technical exercise.  Your hands have to be conditioned.  Muscle memory has to be gained.   Picking and strumming techniques have to be mastered.   All those kinds of mechanical things that we always think of as boring to practice, but are critical to play well.     Good technique will make you a better player.

Better player.  Better artist.  That's what I use Chordie for.  I think it could work for other folks, too.  And if it doesn't, there's still all those other areas that do work for them.

I haven't opened a bebo account, and I probably won't.  I like Chordie, and I don't post in too many other places, so I'd like to apply my energy into molding Chordie, than trying to do something new.

I agree with you that a basic grasp of theory is always a definate advantage. But I always tell people who are stressing so over the fact that they can't get their exercises right to take a break from scales and exercises and just play a song or two they enjoy. The worst thing you can do is bury yourself so deep in theory that you eventually hate music...it has happened. Finding a balance is the thing I prefer to stress.
I also have a very strict practise schedual...I have to, I play violin, cello, piano and do very advanced voice. I use the guitar to relax, but I find myself wanting to delve deeper into guitar theory, just a habit I suppose.
To warm up I play scales but then I play whatever grabs me that day! And trust me the amount you know, judging by the posts I have read by you, you are somewhat of an intellectual! Not a bad thing if you have a good balance. So now I know who to pester with all the technical stuff! Keep the info coming, Jerome!