Topic: Bell, Book and Candle

G'day,

Does anyone know the chords for Bell, Book and Candle? The song is by Eddie Reader and was featured on the TV show "Charmed" and is on the soundtrack to "The Craft". There is a cover of the song (by Boo Hewerdine) on You tube but I can't figure out what he's plucking.

Thanks
Alec

Re: Bell, Book and Candle

Hi AlecinOz - Couldn't locate any chords or tabs for this great song.
However, the song is actually by Boo Hewerdine and there is a very clear recording of it here:
http://www.boohewerdine.net/mp3/website/exclusive.htm

The chords are mostly F's with a few Bb's and an occasional C.  The real interesting part of the backing are the bass notes and that's the hard part to work out.

Lots of other good stuff at this artist's site also.  Great songwriter.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi again AlecinOz - Thanks for asking for this song.  I have 'discovered' Boo Hewerdine (I'm sure he is quite relieved) via your request.  Tremendous songwriter.

Anyway, I have Bell, Book & Candle partially dissected and shall send via private email.  Great song - thanks for asking about it, now I can learn more about Boo Hewerdine music.
Look for my email.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

G'day James,

I had the opportunity to get to the local music stores yesterday and I asked the "musos" if they had the sheet music blah,blah,blah.... anyway, it seems that Bell, Book and Candle has not been published (which I'm having a bit of difficulty coming to terms with) as none of them could get it through their respective resources. They suggested contacting the Hewerdine crowd directly and asking them for the music. I sent an email but it was returned as it (get this) "... may contain obscene language, graphics or spam-like characteristics" . I haven't got a clue what they are talking about unless it's the Australian salutation of G'day (Good day!) In- bloody-deed smile

Needless to say, I have decided that it is now my mission in life to get this music - chords and TABs. smile If only that was the greatest problem to be addressed, life would be so much simpler. smile  On a serious note (no pun intended) my local pub is the Canberra Irish Club and it boasts more musicians than you can poke the proverbial stick at (just ask them smile ) I'll ask around as I'm sure some of them (who are professional or semi-professional musicians, all mad keen on folk music - Tuesday nights when the Guiness is cheaper is a must to behold!!), will have Hewerdine's music if it is in fact available and, failing that, someone is bound to have figured his music out esp. that song.

I have been messing around the Gsus4 adding D and occasionally G on the 1st, then I think it jumps to a C or an A7 (I'm just trying  to mimic what I can sort of see on the video).

Whatever

Take it easy
Alec

I've worked out the basic runs in DADGAD with CAPO @ 3rd fret.  The bass double thumbed is a bitch to play though!

If he's not in DADGAD I think it may be DADDAD.

Yes, Lollobeeb, it is in DADGAD - Capo at 3rd fret as you have worked out. 

I've been a fan of Boo's songs for years, he's played twice at a gig I organised, and stayed at our house. He showed me how to play a few of his songs, including 'Bell, book & candle' but I still haven't mastered it.

He's playing open strings with  a simple melody following the vocal.

What I can't master with his own version of this great song is he plays a double beat finger pattern on the bottom string which I just can't get.

There's a guy on Youtube who seems to have got a simpler version sorted, which is nearer to Eddie Readers version.
Search for 'Bell book and Candle (Boo Hewerdine cover)' and the guy is Laurence Eddy. The video is pretty clear so you should be able to see what he's doing.