1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-01-25 10:28:17)

Topic: How Do We choose a Guitar?

After our previous discussion, I got to thinking about what things are important to us when we choose to buy a guitar. We all have our own checklists, but it would be interesting to know how we prioritize these considerations before we buy. Here's my own priority list:

1) Appearance
If a guitar is ugly, I won't even pick it up. This is purely personal / subjective, but it does matter.

2) Price
If I have a $$ ceiling in mind, I'll rarely look at instruments above it.

3) Construction
Before I even strum or plug in a guitar, I give it the ol' "once over" to make sure it's sound, or at least fixable.

4 / 5) Sound
Then it has to have the voice I want. Many guitars will reveal themselves in the first 1 minute, and they go right back on the rack if I don't like how they sound.

5 / 4) Fit & Feel
It has to fit my body, my hands, etc. Customized ergonomics are expensive, so buying from production models of guitars requires a lot of attention at this stage. If the neck is too narrow, or it's neck heavy, back on the rack it goes.

6) Features
Most guitars are quite similar, but among electrics there are things like the pickup type, switch placement,  coil splitting, tremolo, etc. that will often set one apart from another. Fortunately, a guitar that checks the above boxes can usually be modded if a desired feature is missing.

7) Brand
This really doesn't matter much to me. Just because a guitar is a "big brand" (i.e., expensive marketing campaigns and reputation) doesn't mean I can't make up my own mind.

8) Collectible
Not a factor with me personally, although many love to collect guitars with a story to tell.

What about you? What are the important things you go through before making an instrument purchase?

Re: How Do We choose a Guitar?

Almost all the above.
My 15 year old grandson got a bass for Christmas all that mattered was it was black. I wasn't consulted! So I've given a few tips.
My 16 year old grandson wants to buy a guitar from his part time earnings and he has asked my advice. He obviously can't afford a name guitar and I've told him to check out music shops to see what looks, feels and sits nicely on his body
He's thinking about getting one from Amazon due to the price so he may go that way, I suppose he can always send it back if it's just a box!
My first few guitars were all cheapies, but they did the job even though I couldn't bend the strings or hold them down past the 8th frett.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

How does it feel?
How does it sound?
How does it look?

Pretty much that order.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Do you really want me involved in this conversation??  First it has to catch my eye. Then I look at the price. Is it good enough for me to make a profit or at least break even if I decide to sell??. I always do research with my phone. Believe it or not, I walk away from a lot more than I buy. How does it play and sound?? If it feels good in my hands.  Is it a brand that I want. I mostly try to find Harmony, Kay, Silvertone and the other cheap guitars from the 60s. Then I go for Yamaha, Gretsch and Fender. If it meets those qualifications, I will buy it. For those of you that have thought that I buy anything with strings, you couldn`t be more wrong. There is a lot of thought that goes into it. Half of the fun is the hunt.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

All of those questions are on my list. Not sure what order. The necks have to be similar so my hand feels something familiar when I pick it up. Since I have a lot of top end guitars I'm looking for something on my wish list. I do have a lower end guitar on my wish list. Something I had owned years ago and really liked and want to buy another one. I have turned down a few high end because of sound or feel or didn't think I needed another one of those.
I like the question.

As for cost, I consider that a separate question. First, I have to "choose" a guitar from out of all the guitars out there.  As to whether I purchase or not, that's where cost comes in. But for me, the choosing comes before the "how much is it" question. The only guitar I've got that had a price I liked is the one Topdown gave me.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1. USE ...... When I'm thinking about buying a guitar, I think about the type I want for a specific use - a jumbo or dread naught "boomer"  for playing bluegrass/country,  an auditorium or folk size size for playing folk/finger-picking, concert size for song-writing, travel size for easily taking along on camping or raft trips, etc. Do I plan to use it as one of my "stage" guitars? Use it for jam sessions? A creek-bank "beater"?

2. PRICE ......... I usually have a specific price range in mind for each of the "use" categories listed above.

3.  CONSTRUCTION ....... I expect the guitars in each price range to exhibit appropriate build, component and wood quality,  I expect the cheaper "beater" guitars to need a little TLC before being playable.

4. SOUND ......... This is what its all about, right?  Sometimes minor adjustments or even changing string gauges can contribute to a better sound so I don't immediately write off a guitar that meets my other criteria.

5. FIT & FEEL ........  A guitar should feel comfortable to play, especially if you spend 4-5 hours a week playing at jam sessions as I often do, or sit for hours working on writing songs.

6. APPEARANCE ......... To me guitars are tools to be used, not wall hangers to look at. I much prefer the look of an older guitar that shows some "character" and has some stories to tell, rather than one that depends on bling to make a statement.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

There is only one reason - Will it make me a rock star and get me chicks?

I'm still searching.................

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Definately left - handed big_smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Zurf wrote:

How does it feel?
How does it sound?
How does it look?

Pretty much that order.

Yep. That pretty much sums it up for me too. If I pick up a guitar and it doesn't feel comfortable in my hands it really doesn't matter what it sounds or looks like.  I researched the Martin DCPA5 and knew I wanted one. The first time I picked one up I was quite disappointed. It just didn't feel right and I wasn't spending $1500 on a guitar that felt "clunky" in my hands.

Now the first guitar I ever bought, I bought on looks alone. I knew nothing about guitars at the time. I walked into a mall music store, looked around on the walls and picked out an Epiphone with a sunburst finish. Sure I played it before I took it, but it didn't matter. I liked the looks of it and I knew I was going to buy it before I ever touched it.

I've learned a bit in the ensuing 35 years.