Topic: 100% plagiarism

A few months ago, I posted a similar topic. I really hope to create a list with famous songs, originally performed by another, and changed into a so called own composition, not knowing (on purpose or not) already performed by others.
I would even be more glad to hear about songs, which never made it to court

- MY SWEET LORD: George Harrisson, and you really have to look, or hear it in the most of those 
cases.       SHE's SO FINE: The Chiffons.
- INTRO: STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN: Led Zeppelin = Spirit Taurus
- HELLO, I LOVE YOU : the Doors, see THE KINKS All day and all night.

BEFORE continuing, I wanted to know how many years you have to wait before the author rights are expired.
I read that now, in the Netherlands, it is 60 or 70 years, and more than 1 group starts playing, or composing a song, starting from a song composed in 1937 or 1947, at least in that period, to make a so called brand new song.
Using classical composers is very common: see RAIN and TEARS by APHRODITE'S CHILD, if this name doesn't ring a little bell: 2/3 of the group: DEMIS ROUSSOS (very pretty sexy boy back then, no I am not G., and PAPATHANASSIOU VANGELIS aka VANGELIS, still one of the biggest and better composers and a virtuoso on Synthesiser.
- BACH: PROCOL HARUM, I have a lot of CD's, and on one live album, the PROCOL singer sais loud and clear: "hereby we thank our major composer J.S. BACH"
This are some items I found
- OASIS: WONDERWALL /  GREEN DAY: BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS
- RAY PARKER JR: GHOSTBUSTERS/ HUEY LEWIS: I WANT A NEW DRUG
- CAT STEVENS: FATHER AND SON /FLAMING LIPS: FLIGHT TEST
- JET: ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL? / IGGY POP: LUST FOR LIFE
- SUICIDE: SATURDAY NIGHT / ELTON JOHN: SONG FOR GUY.

I hope to get a lot more songs, plagiarism or not. BUT also, about the LYRICS.
THANKS
-

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: 100% plagiarism

Hi Doc,
I always thought that the copright expires when the origional artist or composer has been dead for 50 years. Is it different for every country? And if you take the lyrics of a song and translate them into another language but still ust the same music...is that still considered as a copyright transgression. If it is then there are a whole lotta' people who are knee deep in it, so to speak.
I know alot of artists use samples of others work in their songs, but then they have to get permission and pay a hefty royalty fee, I would assume.
If some thing is in public domain then I suppose you can use it as long as you don't attribute the composition as your own. How much of a song has to be changed before you infringe copyright?

Well Nadine, that's something I don't know. I was told 60-70 years, and if the artist had children, they received the royalties. I still don't know, my beloved South African, if there is a difference between the countries, it is hard to believe that the law concerning this subject is different. And even if you start playing a very popular tune, a NON REGISTERED tune, no problem.
Do you know the song MACARENA?, a smash hit, STOLEN from a street musician somewhere in SOUTH AMERICA. In fact, I don't know the cost, you write a song, you had to depose it WRITTEN in NOTES, ON A MUSIC SHEET, but I think chords are allright now.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Here in the Great White North, once you pen something you own the copyright, but then it becomes a legal burden of proof.

Copyrights are bought and sold...look at Weird Michael, who took the advice of Sir Paul McCartney about buying copyrights and bought the majority of the Beatles songs....

As for children rec'g royalties, only if willed to them...usually all incompassing last will and testiment....like all my worldly possessions...they could also be excluded...

Most cases of copyright infringement obviously come to light when there is a lot of money involved....the smaller cases are never heard cause maybe some kind of arrangement has been made.

Many bands in the 50's and 60's all recorded the same song....Here is where the songwriters make their money...look at Paul Anka....and cover bands or tribute bands.....they most likely have made arrangements for royalties otherwise they would be plastered in the media with a long line of suitors....

my $ .02 on the subject...

Boris is correct.   Copyrights are real property, just like your house.  You can sell them or gift them or bequeath them to your kids.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by nadine2 2007-08-10 16:23:54)

Yes, in sa too, if you wrote it you automatically own the copyright on it, but then you have to be able to prove it.  And a copyright can be willed to someone as it is in effect an asset. If it wasn't considered an asset by law you would not be able to sell it. I just wonder when that runs out. And run out it must, otherwise there would be no music in public domain...

Well, copyright on authorship is a relatively new development in IP law.   I think that only came into being around 1986 or so.  Prior to that, you did have to register and fill out paperwork and file them with various agencies in order to claim copyright, so that is why you find so much older music in the public domain.

Since most nations adhere to the same body of law via treaty, it's the same pretty much the world over.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

BUT, still I am convinced, at least here, that there is a limit. More, in 1984 I bought an apartment, and in the contract was really good "stipulated" that it was ours for 99 years. I am sure the periods have to be different, and it is always like that, the more $$$$, the more lawsuits.
But try to find the group Taurus + number spirit (can be spirit with taurus), look google, and just write spirit + taurus, and if you find and catch the song, listen just to the intro: I was really surprised.