Topic: Buying effect-pedals is tricky, your views would come in handy

Top o' the mornin' to you

Recently, I've been thinking about buying another effect-pedal, since I'd like to experiment with new sounds. My wah-wah crybaby have served me like no other, but I still feel I need more gauges and swithches to tamper with. So, When I looked in a guitarmagazine I saw 100+ pedals and I didn't understand half of the descriptions, un-cunning as I can be.

Finally I decided to go with either a phaser 90, or a Dist/overdrive pedal, since I like both the sweeping phasersound and good ol'e rock n' roll. Now, here's the big question(s):

Which pedal should I go with? Since I like'm both I'm having a hard time deciding..!
AND
what kind of pedals do you like/use?

Thank you's
/Cickan "the wrangler" Axelsson

Being kicked in the groin is a pleasant surprise

Re: Buying effect-pedals is tricky, your views would come in handy

my preference would be for

-distortion or overdrive - you need some sort of distortion for most rock tracks - however many modern amps come with a separate overdrive channel and then -

phasers are cool for funky stuff or slightly psychedelic effects 

one option is to  get a multieffects pedal - Zoom do different priced pedals - one for about £50

Go with a distortion & chorus pedal along with your wah. My choce of poison is the Boss effects they are sturdly built. 

Bootlegger.

4 (edited by kieranhughes 2007-08-14 14:46:02)

I think you should get a Boss OS-2. Its an overdrive/distortion pedal with a knob to sweep between the two. Gives you a nice range of distortions and overdrives. I've had two (not because I broke it but because I left it at a disgruntled band members house).

Depending on how much you wanna spend and experiment...try the
Roland GR-20.........check it out on youtube...

Hey cickan from Sweden.
Greedy as I always am, I bought during the period 1996-2006, multi effect floor boards.
The oldest one is a ZOOM 8080, but still really amazing. The acoustic patch= bullsh**, it is almost impossible to create acoustic sounds with a device, unless you have a variax. But I have 2 possibilities to play bass, and the sound, using an electric 6 string guitar is amazing. It sounds definitely bass. On another rainy day I received as a gift a boss VF-1, and this is still an amazing device.
The tricky part was the fact of buying a line 6 POD live pedal, thinking that a lot had changed in all those years. Conclusion: some things have, but the effects remains the same.
My best buy is the FENDER CYBERTWIN, containing so much effects and FENDER amps. You turn the central knob, you will have a twin reverb, or a bassman, and people who own one of these don't hear at all the difference. You can regulate your amp into every kind of magic sound.
So, are you throwing away money buying this? I don't know. The more you see, the more you want, but if you play a particular style, needing some reverb and/or distortion, depending of your money of course, it is more than enough.
Concerning the effects (floor board), check prices on the internet: names ZOOM (8080) Line 6, BOSS, BEHRINGER (good price/quality.)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thank you all for your thoughts about this, It has been most interesting reading your opinions.
After reading your replies I ordered the DF-7 distortion factory, which I thought looked quite awsome and was partially based on Boss pedals. Since my amp doesn't have seperate channels for distortion (It's a real oldie) I reckoned a dist pedal would do me more good than a phaser.

However, the phaser is next on my list, and after a couple of months of saving in on my food/drink/rent money, It too shall be mine.

again, much obliged to everyone who answered, It was really helpful.

/Cickan "Rock hard" Axelsson

cickan

tell us how you get on

John

Good mornin' all ye faithful

So, I've now had my new pedal for a few days, and I must say, It was really really awesome. After tampering whith the switches and gauges in all kinds of manners I've gotten some real funky sounds out of it. And, my fellow guitarists, cramming a wah-wah pedal in between there got me to places no drug ever could. And let's just say like this, after learning the better part of jimi hendrix - Voodochild, I could and can, die a happy man.
I would recommend this to anyone having a drug/drinking-problem, beacuse after this, I'm floting on clouds...!

So, thank you's for convincing me to buy this heavenly piece of metal and circutboards, It has brightened my days.

/Cickan "overdrive-man" Axelsson