Topic: The Last Gig

Some Chordians are currently performing, and some never really have. Then there's some of us who used to, but don't anymore. There are obviously many reasons why that happens, and good stories behind them ... which would be interesting to hear about.

My last performance was at a coffee house in the town where I went to university, just over 40 years ago. My set was typically acoustic solo numbers, and I opened with "Life's a Long Song" (Jethro Tull), "San Tropez" (Pink Floyd), and "Horse With No Name" (America). Most of the time, people would sing along with the "la la la" part of the last one ... but not tonight. Right afterwards, some bozo shouted, "Stop playing that s**t and play something we all know !". It was the age of disco (mid 70's) and this guy clearly had Saturday Night Fever on the brain. After a bit of a personal public meltdown, I excused myself and left humiliated.

With some soul searching, I decided that if I couldn't play the music I love and have others enjoy it, I wouldn't play at all. Sounds a bit childish, I know, but I felt that was being true to myself. I never got back on the horse, and it still remains nameless. big_smile

Anyone else care to "bare their soul" about their last performance(s)?

Re: The Last Gig

Sometimes it pays to check a place before you go there and find out if this is the right place for you.
A couple of months ago I played at what turned out to be the roughest bar in a town .I hadn't checked it out and was lucky to get out with my self and equipment intact.I got all the "play somthing we know" crap .Believe me it's not your fault if people are ignorant arseholes.
It's sad that this incident stopped you playing.I try to check a place now before I perform.
Get back on that horse and ride and as Kris Kristofferson says don't let the bastards get you down.

3 (edited by Phill Williams 2018-06-07 08:23:03)

After I had my fall last year I slowed down quite a bit. Then this year I've only played twice. I've got a couple of shows coming up over the summer, after that who knows?
I might get the taste back later in the year, I might not!

The last gig I did was in a hotel, the average age must have been 80. But I've always found the old crumblies have more go in them than today's kids. My kids are in their 30s to 45's and they tell me they and their friends love 60's and 70's songs....go figure? But strictly C/W and ballads for the crumblies

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Jandle 2018-06-07 03:56:08)

I have only ever had the privilege to perform publicly in the last 3-4 years in a small group of ladies who all play ukulele and we perform once a month in rest homes.   We also do a little bit of busking in the summertime when the cruise ships come in, to raise money to buy  ukulele`s for children.  It is nice to play for the elderly and we enjoy it.
I have only ever once performed  at a gig (with the same group but back then we had a much bigger group with a couple of guys in it) and we performed at a 50th birthday gig and it was such fun, loved it.  We did all the old songs that everyone knows the words to and it was a blast.  We had them all up dancing.   I wish I had discovered the fun of singing in groups or bands when I was younger. 

TF I wouldn't let some ignorant jerk put you off performing ........... you have a gift, use it, for yourself and for others smile

(Edited to add a bracket in  and to add "at a gig" - Jandle)

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

All you chordians playing live ,i am in awe of you.
There seem to be places like pubs where people demand  the covers.
But there are places like folk/country/open mics  where you can play
what u like & originals.
TF if you enjoy playing live there is a venue waiting to hear what you got to offer.
Get back on the horse cowboy.

The King Of Audio Torture

Had a first and last gig at the same time. The audience enjoyed it, I just didn't  like perfoming and never tried it again.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

It's always good to share those stories.

easybeat wrote:

All you chordians playing live ,i am in awe of you.
There seem to be places like pubs where people demand  the covers.
But there are places like folk/country/open mics  where you can play
what u like & originals.

It seems I chose the right musical genre to play my original songs xD Just need to live in the States ahah ^^

[url]https://soundcloud.com/curtis-k-music[/url]

The last gig I played in which I kept the money was probably around 30 years ago. I still play what could be called "gigs" several times a year but the money made is donated to the Foothill Folk Society, the group I belong to which provides free instruments and lessons to kids wanting to learn to play  and the group also donates food and money to the local food bank to help out needy folks in our community.  I also play nearly every  Saturday at a local music store jam,  Mondays I jam with a bunch of old gospel and bluegrass musicians and every other Wednesday play at an open mic our Foothills group hosts.  Ten years ago I played a weekly open mic venue and one of the musicians often recorded the performers and put them on youtube.  Here's a few of me playing some of the songs I was writing at that time.

On this one I was accompanied by Jeff Hartley on harmonica, Jeff is a local song writer and talented musician. He had only heard me play the song once before and needed me to give him cues when to play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHMHbhR4uyc

This may be the most requested song I ever wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydnrMXjFQY

This is a song I wrote to end a "drought" I was going through.  I hadn't written a song for months so I sat down, made a list of things that made me happy, picked out a few things from the list and made verses from them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7NSWMkmNIo

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Ed
Small Medium @ Large was a riot - great guitar playing! The lyrics are great- what an entertaining song. I can only imagine that the crowds loved that one!
Your song " A great day to be alive" was excellent as well !
You should be putting more out there buddy, you are very, very good!!

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Dirty Ed
excellent performance,great songs.

The King Of Audio Torture