Topic: Reading the lyrics and chords. How do you scroll?

How do you people use a tablet or whatever, to read the music while you play. I  have been playing and singing for a long time, but now want to use this trick. Thanks.

Re: Reading the lyrics and chords. How do you scroll?

I have never used anything other than paper but some friends of mine use an i-pad and have a scrolling programme. You have to set the tempo (in B.P.M.) of the piece for it to scroll at the right speed. I find it a/ hard to read (I really like my bold print A4 paper) and b/ difficulty knowing where I am when I have looked away as the place I was looking has moved.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-08-13 22:43:23)

Hello Maz2, and welcome to Chordie!

This website actually has a scrolling function, which is super simple to use. When you open a song, there's an icon at the top RH part of the screen called "Scroll". When you click this, you have a selection of speeds you can choose ... click the "play" arrow, and away you go. Obviously it won't work if you're not using Chordie, but it's certainly a great place to start, without having to buy software, a foot pedal, etc.

I'm on my tablet so I checked and there doesn't seem to be a scroll button. I use my PC and laptop for scrolling and no probs there. You may get better results from an iPad?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I follow old tradition and prefer carrying physical lyric sheets onstage. I once tried iPad. It's easy to use. Just place your iPad in a holder on your mic stand and you are all set. In Fact I heard of an application "Tonara" that offers a “polyphonic music following” feature. I heard that the pages turn automatically as you get to the corresponding spot in the score on the basis of audio of your performance. It uses the iPad’s mic to listen to the audio of your performance.

247 Airports - Executive cab from Gatwick airport to London

Hello, 247 ... and welcome to the Chordie Forums!

I just looked up the "Tonara" app you described, and it looks very interesting. Like you, I've preferred using paper sheets, but lugging binders around is getting clumsy. Thanks for the great idea; we hope you'll become an ongoing participant in our discussions about everything musical.

Great suggestions. Much appreciated. I too am, or was, a paper user. I did not even know about the scrolling feature in chordie. Thanks tons.

I use an app called onsong. It allows you to import songs from anywhere on the web, change keys, chords, lyrics, etc. Scrolling is built in and you van even get a pedal that links via bluetooth to page up and down. Best thing is you don't have to be connected on line to use it. Great app.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!