1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-08-14 09:41:00)

Topic: Musical Goals for Fall 2018

With summer almost over, perhaps many of you decide upon a personal musical goal during the Fall.

My personal one is to make my pinky finger stronger on my fretting hand. Instead of using the usual 3 (index / middle / ring) for most of my playing, I'm going to switch to middle / ring / pinky whenever I can. The reach and dexterity is pretty good, but I haven't got the strength to really make it equal to the others, especially on the bass.

What are my fellow-Chordians going to be working on?

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/signjpegs/numbers/number09.jpg

Re: Musical Goals for Fall 2018

i've been doing a lot of work on my house the last few months so i haven't had much recording time (or the strength, tired all the time) so it's nearly all done now so my goal is to get back to working on new songs and paying more attention to chordie and practicing, my playing was abysmal on my gig last weekend, so more scales and finger exercises. btw i've always used my pinky so i'd find it odd not to use it, though my plucking hand (that's not a euphemism)  i sliced my pinky cutting veg for sunday lunch...lots of blood and stings like billy-oh and everytime i use it it opens up again...plasters are no good, trying my best with a pick...dig it?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I've been working on changing the way I play G. Always used the index, middle and pinky. I'm trying to make the adjustment to using the middle, ring and pinky to free up the index finger for fills. That dang muscle memory thing is proving to be harder to overcome than I thought it would be.

For me, I'll just keep moving along with learning to play.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Another great topic.

Three for me:
1. I am working on spreading my pentatonic range by practicing solos on 1 or two strings only, forcing me to play up and down 4 or more positions on the fretboard rather than just moving between boxes.
2. I am working to integrate the altered scale into my solos to break out of the pentatonic funk.
3. I am going to write 3 songs before year end. Already got one done. Working on two more.