1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-08-17 07:24:10)

Topic: "Odds Bodkins*, Man! You've Been 'At Odds' With Yourself!"

Hello Family

Sorry I've been "missing in action", but it was a necessary absence having to do with a "cleansing of the psyche", as it were.

Some of you may have noticed a change in my usual demeanor back before taking this "break". It had absolutely nothing to do with anyone here but myself. I'm finding it harder these days to maintain a "balance" within myself - despite the many medications I take to maintain my cognitive functions and how they regulate my moods. Even now, as I write - I am having to reread each line in a paragraph to make sure each sentence agrees with the one before it. It's getting harder to do, especially for a guy who majored in English Literature and Journalism in college.

So: Why am I back and did I solve my problem?

Not yet, but I think the answer is I need more "human interaction". I need to be around more "real people" and do some normal stuff before I sink further into these "doldrums" I've created for myself and lose whatever little human contact I still have (my doctors, the postman, the few neighbors, etc.).

So it starts with accompanying Dondra to church on Sundays and, if the opportunity presents itself, bringing along the Fender guitar gifted me by Jim and Amy and join the church band in singing and playing some spiritual hymns/songs.

That's the plan, anyway, and within that plan lies the following oldie non-denominational tune which I hope to use as my "audition" into the band. (There's really no "audition" and I've been asked to come and sit in on drums many times, so it will be just an "introduction")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck6cCyvo5vo

There's many versions of this traditional little tune and I hope to involve the congregation by singing their first names within the verses (i.e. "He's got Bill and Dondra, in his hands......")

My theory is this little tune will be new to many of the kids in the church and they'll enjoy the rhythmic clapping and shouting.

So what do you think, my family? Did I make any sense with what I've written here? Does my plan to make real music again have any hope of succeeding? And finally, will I able to do without some of medications I have weaned myself from?

Dondra and I send our love to all of you and I'll be interested to read your responses.

Bill

*https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/262450.html

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: "Odds Bodkins*, Man! You've Been 'At Odds' With Yourself!"

You made perfect sense and as I said on the previous post, it's good to hear from you again. I think that song might be perfect for your audition, you can't go wrong with a two chord trick....you just have to remember the words, something I'm struggling with these days!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-08-17 10:06:56)

Whichever version of SB Bill shows up, we're happy to have him!

As a "Manic / Depressive" (a.k.a. Bi Polar) I can completely empathize with how essential it is to stay involved and in touch ... it's one of the reasons I post so much on Chordie. With so many great folk here and the collective musical knowledge among us, Chordie has been a HUGE benefit at so many levels. Daily positive interaction, and a sense of accomplishment, keeps the imagination from taking control. Gotta keep the mind busy in the real world!

Great to hear from you again Bill, but please don't get jealous if send a great big cyber hug to the lovely Dondra because I am sending a cyber 'man hug' to you too. smile
No problems with your communication and 'He's Got The Whole Word In His Hands' is a song I know well as it is one the two songs I send a student home with after their first lesson (the other being 'Tom Dooley' as they are both good songs with just two chords). Strangely enough most Portuguese students know He's Got The Whole World as it was used in the TV advert for the Portuguese electicity company and I will usually insert my students name in the 'He's got you and me brother/sister' line.
Take care, Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

First of all, welcome back.

Second of all, I love that you cited a source for the term in your subject line. Only a writer would do that. smile

Third, good luck on the tune! You chose a recognizable tune that's fun and not too complicated. I'm sure you'll do great.

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-08-18 02:03:34)

Tenement Funster wrote:

Whichever version of SB Bill shows up, we're happy to have him!

As a "Manic / Depressive" (a.k.a. Bi Polar) I can completely empathize with how essential it is to stay involved and in touch ... it's one of the reasons I post so much on Chordie. With so many great folk here and the collective musical knowledge among us, Chordie has been a HUGE benefit at so many levels. Daily positive interaction, and a sense of accomplishment, keeps the imagination from taking control. Gotta keep the mind busy in the real world!

Thanks, my friend!

I haven't said as much, but my main reason for the weaning myself off my anti-depressives was that I was at a point where the medication was a) not working or b) needed increasing, so I created option c): get off them altogether. This was MY choice because I needed to see what I am like without the meds and because mine and Dondra's lives are so "fragile" right now; I needed some inner strength I wasn't getting from the pills. Dondra has given this a name: she call's it Bill's need for "Soull Stability" (that should be a clue for a certain songwriter we all know and love here on chordie - a good working song title I mean).

My mother was bi-polar, but in my younger years I had always been described as "borderline" which seemed to be managed by psychotropics - for the most part. But when life hands you what my wife and I have had to endure of late, there's only so much one can expect, the meds to do. The only medication I take at present is a drug called "Duloxetine" which is actually for my back pain, but also acts as an anti-depreseeive.

Roger, my friend, your "Dondra-Hug" was gratefully passed along and just as gratefully accepted. The "Brotherly Man Hug" is also appreciated and returned with that all-important side-fisted knock on the shoulder!

Re: "The Whole World"....... I wonder if the band might go for a key-change a couple of times and I am sure there'll be a couple of week's pracvtice involved. There are 2 male guitarist/voices, 3 female voices, a bass and a drummer. I would just be a third guitar and voice. Thanks for the encouragement.

We send our love and wish you all a great weekend!

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-08-18 09:37:13)

Bill

You are really spot on - that name Dondra has wisely proclaimed - "Soul Stability ", does indeed have making of a   really good song  title!
I am so glad to have you back on Chordie - your wit, keen insight, insanely superb grammar abilities, friendly advice, and willingness to share personal glimpses adds so much to this forum ! You always have a way to  brings so many things out on to the table for discussion- unlike no other.  Glad you are back here pardner!!

The song you are playing with church group is one of the first I successfully played. Great song - great message.

Best wishes to you and Dondra

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim and All

I think all of you know by now how I feel about you, so I know you'll understand when I tell you that getting my "self" back will be one more "challenge" for me. There are a lot of "cobwebs" to clean out, many misconceptions to fix and most importantly of all - there's a lot of loving of me again to do. I know that last sentence is lacking in coherence, but maybe you get the highlights.

Let's see what the freshly "exhumed" Bill can do for himself.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass