1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-09-23 00:45:16)

Topic: Does anyone know if it is true about Itzhak Perlman?

I have been checking out Itzhak Perlman on line and came across a story of him playing a concert with just three strings as the other one broke. Is this true or a fake story?? I would love to know. It suposedly happened on On Nov. 18, 1995 at a concert at the Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in New York City.

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-23 16:53:20)

Re: Does anyone know if it is true about Itzhak Perlman?

Some help from The Loremaster's friend: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/three … ure-outre/

Be well my friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Thank you Bill that is brilliant that  link has all I want to know in it, good find.
Good health to you my friend.
Pete     

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-09-24 20:20:41)

Not to belabor the point, but what if he had done that, Pete? What would have been involved?

Different finger placement for one (am I right?); transposing for another. What else? All kinds of brain activity, I would imagine.

Not saying it couldn't have been done, just wondering if it could be done flawlessly even by a virtuoso such as Maestro Perlman.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-09-25 04:48:38)

Two other theories  I have heard one  is the string might have broke when there was only a few bars of the piece they were playing to go, so he just went for it on three strings. Another is after finishing he descided to tweak his tuning and broke the string which appeared to some in the audience as thought the string had been broken through out the peice they had just played. I asked a voilinist I know if it is possible and his answer is carrying on after losing a string without interrupting the performance is certainly within the capabilities of a world-class violinist: In 1986, Japanese wunderkind violinist Midori, then a mere 14-year-old, drew headlines for her appearance at Massachusetts’ Tanglewood Festival when she finished a concerto performance despite twice breaking strings on her instrument. You are right Bill it would require a genius ability to transpose notes to the other strings. I hope someone else has more opinions to offer.
Thank you
Pete