Topic: what model should i get?

im going to get an electric guitar, but im having a hard time deciding what guitar to get, im a beginner, so it doesn't have to be expensive. also, what's the best type of amp???

Re: what model should i get?

1) Go to guitar shop, pick up guitars, learn about weight, shape and feel. Some electrics are seriously heavy/uncomfortable.
2) Avoid Fender and Gibson - expensive. Avoid Squier - cheap. Check out Yamaha, Ibanez, Lag, Tokai...
3) Ask to try out some guitars, don't try to play anything fancy, just listen for a good sound.
4) Look to buy a basic 10W practice amp; volume, tone, overdrive/gain.
5) If you really want crazy metal effects a Line6 Pod or Vamp2 will burn away the hours.
6) Consider starting with an acoustic, they have an easier learning curve but it's a matter of taste, if you've gotta rock....

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

1) Go to guitar shop, pick up guitars, learn about weight, shape and feel. Some electrics are seriously heavy/uncomfortable.
2) Avoid Fender and Gibson - expensive. Avoid Squier - cheap. Check out Yamaha, Ibanez, Lag, Tokai...
3) Ask to try out some guitars, don't try to play anything fancy, just listen for a good sound.
4) Look to buy a basic 10W practice amp; volume, tone, overdrive/gain.
5) If you really want crazy metal effects a Line6 Pod or Vamp2 will burn away the hours.
6) Consider starting with an acoustic, they have an easier learning curve but it's a matter of taste, if you've gotta rock....

Step 3.5) After you find a favorite guitar type, go to http://www.rondomusic.net and get your guitar from there for 1/4 the price of the regular version.

smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

i've got a squire stratocaster that i got a few years ago, personally found it to have a good sound for the money, and it was good to learn on.
Ive played the real cheapo walmart guitars and i would strongly reccomend NOT to go that way, sounds rattly and buzzy and crap.

All You Need is Love smile

Ta Rebel, 7) Remember guitars are personal, one person's 'uh-oh' is another person's 'hey wow!'.
8) Remember even within one Brand and one model guitars vary. You may just hit on the guitar that got superior body wood through some fluke...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

last_rebel wrote:

i've got a squire stratocaster that i got a few years ago, personally found it to have a good sound for the money, and it was good to learn on.
Ive played the real cheapo walmart guitars and i would strongly reccomend NOT to go that way, sounds rattly and buzzy and crap.

I agree. My first guitar was a "First Act" (read WALMART Guitar) and it was the biggest drawback in my progress.
The pickups were horrible, the strings were horrible, the action was horrible, the tone of the guitar was horrible.
It was great to learn on for the first 2 weeks but I outgrew it so fast there was a sonic boom.

If you only have 100 dollars to spend, Start out with a quality guitar for that same money. Buy Agile.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

My experience is: take a guitar, sit on an amp, just like you sit on a horse, DO NOT CHANGE THE KNOBS OF THE AMP, try a bunch of guitars, and you will feel the sound through your body, and the one who gives you the best results AUDITIVE and SENSITIVE, that should be the one, also, how iso the guitar in your hands, and is the way to play easy

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

cytania wrote:

Ta Rebel, 7) Remember guitars are personal, one person's 'uh-oh' is another person's 'hey wow!'.
8) Remember even within one Brand and one model guitars vary. You may just hit on the guitar that got superior body wood through some fluke...

Keep in mind that a bad sound is one of the easiest ways to get discouraged from playing..... and i've tried several different models and even a couple of different instruments from the walmart first act guitars and i didn't care for any of them.
Besides that the whole company doesn;t even seem to know ANYTHING about the guitar... do you think thier strings come in different guages? NO. Do thier picks come in different thicknesses? NO. Do thier amplifiers have proper distortion and overdrive switches? NO..... tust me these people don;t know anything about the guitar they're just making money off of people. They're more the spoiled rich kids that WANT aguitar cuz its cool but dont have any intention of learning it

All You Need is Love smile

gitaardocphil wrote:

My experience is: take a guitar, sit on an amp, just like you sit on a horse, DO NOT CHANGE THE KNOBS OF THE AMP, try a bunch of guitars, and you will feel the sound through your body, and the one who gives you the best results AUDITIVE and SENSITIVE, that should be the one, also, how iso the guitar in your hands, and is the way to play easy

Somehow I think this method will work better for women than men...LOL!

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

last_rebel wrote:
cytania wrote:

Keep in mind that a bad sound is one of the easiest ways to get discouraged from playing..... and i've tried several different models and even a couple of different instruments from the walmart first act guitars and i didn't care for any of them.
Besides that the whole company doesn;t even seem to know ANYTHING about the guitar... do you think thier strings come in different guages? NO. Do thier picks come in different thicknesses? NO. Do thier amplifiers have proper distortion and overdrive switches? NO..... tust me these people don;t know anything about the guitar they're just making money off of people. They're more the spoiled rich kids that WANT aguitar cuz its cool but dont have any intention of learning it

Amen! I second every single thing that you said "Last Rebel".
If my wife hadnt' bought me that first act guitar I would have given it away by now.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I started with an acoustic, Seagull S6 Cedar Burst, gorgeous guitar, not hugely expensive, and really beautiful sound.  Downside is it is just way to big for me.  I was getting very discouraged.  I then visited a friend and played some of his electrics and I was in love.  I stopped on the way home and bought a Fender Stratocaster and I just love it.  My playing has improved imensely in part due to the comfort with my guitar.  I now have a Jay Turser  134QMT which is a jazz style guitar and my pride and joy a Gibson Les Paul Goddess in violet burst.  All three sound great although very different from each other.  In a nut shell start with an electric, I personally have found it much easier.  Most definetly try lots of guitars out first to see how they feel in your hands when you play and how the different ones sound.

What will be done with ease must first be done with diligence. ~ Samuel Johnson

12 (edited by neon of Flare 2007-08-24 04:49:08)

i got a squier telecaster. its custom and costed around $500 but i love it to death. i dont know your price range. but im a telecaster man. i got an epiphone les paul. not that good. if your getting an epiphone, i really like the epiphone SG. my friend has one. its pretty nice. I would not recommend b.c. rich or ibanez. amp wise, Line 6 all the way for me. easy to get used to and still good to use as a pro. any tone you need its got it. i got my 30 watt one for $199

i've got a epiphone its fairly heavy but not a bad sound  i dont know the cost 'cause it was brought as a present also  i have a 15watt  frontman  fender amp £99 ..

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

You are so right last_rebel!!  I have friends that purchased really cool-looking guitars and really good guitars and they never learned how to play them.  But they are all about telling people what they have, thinking it makes them seem cool.  I have fairly good equipment now, but I started out with many, many crappy guitars and amps (and acoustics) 'cos I couldn't afford anything else.  There's a lot of great info here and it basically comes down to what you want and like.  Do go play some...or if you are not comfortable playing at your local shop, then hold one, hug it and fret it...try to see what you "feel" about the guitar.  If you find one that feels good to you, then you are going to play it when you get home, no matter what it looks like and no matter what brand it is.  There are a lot of cheap, well-made guitars out there that will do your playing justice.  Find what you like and what feels good to you.  There is always time to upgrade when you get better.

Good luck finding your ax and good luck finding your happy-place.

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

Detman, did you had a "nice experience" sitting on an amp hahahahahaha
No, it is not a joke or ment to be a joke.
Because sitting on an amp (if he's big enough) allows you to FEEL the vibrations of a guitar=sound vibrations. Just ask (I am probably a blessed man here, because they all know me in thee major stores, allowing me to try guitars locked up: you that: just look and don't touch) 5-6 guitars, sit down, leave the amp as he is, better regulate the amp, tone, distortion, volume when you start playing the first guitar, and continue. You feel the sound, hear the sound.. and one of the best advises is, go with someone, not necessary that he or she knows evben how a guitar works, because when I play with a friend, the sound you hear is quit different than the sound you hear playing alone. About Epiphone: they are part of Gibson and that's the reason why I call it "DANGEROUS GUITARS", after a while most of epiphone players want to have the real Gibson. I have 1 hollow body: epiphone sheraton, and this is a super guitar, but I am not a huge hollow body fan, so I am pleased. ATTENTION: Epiphone is very good, but.. see above.
Tokai: did you know that the prices for the tokai copy of a gibson les paul are getting sometimes more $$ than the real gibson.
It is difficult to choose, 30 years ago you almost had only Gibson LP standard&custom and fender strat & tele. I really don't know what guitar I should buy now to start.
A squier can be interesting, very cheap and you can change the coils.
You can buy a Gretsch for 480$.
I suggest to look at www.musicianfriends.com this site is very clear, search electric guitar---solid body, and left you will see price ranges, like between 200-300$ This is for me the best way to look and compare, and take note of those guitars (5-6) go to a music store and compare.
That is what I should do.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]