Topic: First Open Mic Night

For those of you who are not on FB,

We had some bumps, but we also had fun and everyone was very cool. 
I played and my new best buddy Paul sang. Two lessons learned. 1. Don't get used to how you sound in the basement with a wet signal. 2. When room is sonically dead, even the A/E needs some love.  So I will post in the
guitars and accessories post about my new budget idea big_smile  Sorry No audio, We want to be much better next time.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48395519_10219058136303609_2355470514505383936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=45c4bbfcf88292ad1d0a71949361fba8&oe=5CA83E13 

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: First Open Mic Night

what is a wet signal ?

All I can imagine is you spilled your beer on the amp, and I know that's not right.

smile     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Well done Scott cant wait for a vid     

Excellent Beamer .the challenge of getting out in front of people makes most people nervous, .  I use to go to a open mic type thing and the thing I noticed those who got up and had a go, got better the more they did it. Great photo I look forward to the day you do a video.     

TIGLJK wrote:

what is a wet signal ?

All I can imagine is you spilled your beer on the amp, and I know that's not right.

smile

Beamer plays so heavy that one cannot help but pee oneself.     

Baldguitardude wrote:
TIGLJK wrote:

what is a wet signal ?

smile

Beamer plays so heavy that one cannot help but pee oneself.

LOLOLOLOL thats a great compliment!

TIG
Dry Signal = Vocal to PA or Guitar to Amp with zero effects. no reverb nothing.

Wet = anything from reverb to delay to chorus.  Anything that enhances the signal.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Looks like you two had a blast, Beamer ... you're obviously "into it", but Paul looks like he's about to doze off ... funny how a pic can capture a moment in time like that. Hope you guys enjoy many more great gigs together.     

I have the opposite problem Scott.  I play at home, with a dry signal and even prefer to record with a dry signal, but some of the open mic venues I play at a couple times a month add effects until it sounds like I'm singing from the bottom of a well............ Come to think of it maybe most folks would prefer I sing from the bottom of a well. sad 

Last week I was in Florida visiting one of my daughters and her family (also attended my oldest granddaughter's college graduation). The Days Inn we stayed at had a bar that hosted an open mic on Mondays.  It was a strange set-up with a band (drums, bass, guitar) that expected you to play songs they knew so they could play along. It seemed like some sort of "live" karaoke to me so I passed.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

I have the opposite problem Scott.  I play at home, with a dry signal and even prefer to record with a dry signal, but some of the open mic venues I play at a couple times a month add effects until it sounds like I'm singing from the bottom of a well............ Come to think of it maybe most folks would prefer I sing from the bottom of a well. sad 

Last week I was in Florida visiting one of my daughters and her family (also attended my oldest granddaughter's college graduation). The Days Inn we stayed at had a bar that hosted an open mic on Mondays.  It was a strange set-up with a band (drums, bass, guitar) that expected you to play songs they knew so they could play along. It seemed like some sort of "live" karaoke to me so I passed.

Yea that's weird, I'dd have said  its in Am and follow if ya can but don't play over me.     

10 (edited by beamer 2018-12-26 07:35:49)

Tenement Funster wrote:

Looks like you two had a blast, Beamer ... you're obviously "into it", but Paul looks like he's about to doze off ... funny how a pic can capture a moment in time like that. Hope you guys enjoy many more great gigs together.

Yea i was telling him he needs to work on it. because he looked and sang bored.
he was nervous and did not want to admit it to me.and his stance is what i am working on.  It is NOT singing a song from a TV, thats for sure! stage presence.  At first I was nervous but once I started playing i was good.     

Thanks Chordiestock! big_smile

SWEET!

Now do more. The way Jets60 keeps telling me to do open mic nights and I don't.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

TIGLJK wrote:

what is a wet signal ?

smile

LOL!     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Dirty Ed wrote:

https://www.chordie.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=16

You should have done the "follow me - a standard I, IV, I, V in G" and gone ahead with whatever you had in mind.     

beamer wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

Yea i was telling him he needs to work on it. because he looked and sang bored.
he was nervous and did not want to admit it to me.and his stance is what i am working on.  It is NOT singing a song from a TV, thats for sure! stage presence.  At first I was nervous but once I started playing i was good.     

Thanks Chordiestock! big_smile

That's exactly what I'm working on right now. The difference between playing and performing. Awesome that you are getting that across to him - now get it across to me.

Or, as Miles Davis said, "It's 10% musicianship and 90% the attitude of the person playing."  Miles Davis did not use the word "person". His quote had a distinctly more Samuel L. Jackson vibe to it.     

Way to go Beamer. You never know what'll happen until you get out there and try. And yes, it does get easier the more you do it.     

I was thinking of playing in the town square but i thing i would get nicked for disturbing the peace.  Good you both got up there.     

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

That's exactly what I'm working on right now. The difference between playing and performing. Awesome that you are getting that across to him - now get it across to me.

Or, as Miles Davis said, "It's 10% musicianship and 90% the attitude of the person playing."  Miles Davis did not use the word "person". His quote had a distinctly more Samuel L. Jackson vibe to it.

I love playing - especially acoustic jams, around a campfire with friends, or at a Chordie get-together.  "Performing" on the other hand is something I don't enjoy.  I'm often asked to play at local events (Foothill Folk Society fund raisers, Ohio Farm Bureau or State Park events, etc) and I do it because I can't seem to say no, but being on a stage with a mic stuck in my face, a PA blaring and being expected to "entertain" a crowd is not an enjoyable experience for me.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

being on a stage with a mic stuck in my face, a PA blaring and being expected to "entertain" a crowd is not an enjoyable experience for me.

DE

If I could sing and play - and the people actually liked it - I would probably retire tomorrow

As a teacher and a coach I'm on stage pretty much every day - But istill would love to be able to get on stage and perform.

You folks are blessed with a special talent I will never have - enjoy it! smile

JIm     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

19 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-01-04 14:26:07)

Jim do not say never and once you get used to an audience it is easier.  I have done concerts and  they are easier than teaching properly. At this point I would rather teach classical guitar with the better students. First I teach them to read music  and timing. Later we learn how to play.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.