Topic: Is uke easier to learn than just a guitar?

First off, I really have no real musical experience. I had 5 years of piano lessons in grade school, but they were all from teachers that just taught songs, no theory whatsoever. After that I took a year of clarinet, bass guitar and guitar, again, no theory, no 'let's start with chords', no 'let's learn about keys', no 'practice your scales' etc. In college I taught myself the guitar for a year or so with the a book called "teach yourself the blues" and that was my introduction to theory. It's the only time I ever learned anything about keys (which I still don't totally understand), scales, chords etc, but it was all self taught, but I learned more teaching myself then I learned with all my other teachers, barring piano because I (more or less) learned how to read music from her. I was so proud of myself after working with that book when I could pick a random key (well, fret) and play the 12 bar blues based around that note.

Anyways, I struggled with guitar during that year (in college), even after a year, even after I could play a little, it still never clicked.

I keep thinking I should pick it back up, I'd love to be able to pick something up and be able to play. I don't particularly care what it is, I'm not looking to perform in front of people, I'm not looking to join a band, I'd just like to be able to play something. I'm also not looking to get real lessons, but I'm more than happy to do something online like JustinGuitar or Nars Ginley etc.

Anyways, a friend of mine (that's musically talented) also struggled with guitar since college as well (turned out she just couldn't open her hand wind enough to hit certain chords) suggested a tenor uke. I took a look at it and, physically, it looks easier. The strings are spread out further than on a guitar and it's tuned the same as the four high stings on a guitar...now that I'm looking, I think I'm thinking of a baritone Uke (DGBE). Which also means, in my educated guess, that what you learn on it would transfer to a guitar.

So, for those of you that have one, or played one, how was it to learn on it? How do you think someone with no real musical background would do with it?

Seems like I could pick one up on Amazon for less than a hundred dollars, so it's not a total loss if I hate it.

Any thoughts? I understand (really, I do) that any musical instrument takes loads of practice, but is tenor (baritone?) uke easier than guitar? 

Re: Is uke easier to learn than just a guitar?

First of all welcome to Chordie. Nice to have you.

I have an inexpensive uke that I play from time to time. I've been playing guitar for quite a while so the different tuning is challenging for me, but I can see your point about it being easier to play. The strings are softer, there are only 4 of them, and in the case of a baritone you can adapt guitar tabs to learn songs fast. Totally makes sense to me.

I would caution you on one thing though...buying a super cheap instrument. Lots of these cheap ukes (including the one I have) don't hold tune very well are are more toy-like than proper instruments. I would research student performance ukes and get something that will hold tuning and last you a while. You'll be dealing with plenty of challenges learning the instrument; sounding bad due to bad tuning or stopping to tune ever 90 seconds should not be on your list of things to face as you get started.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!     

3 (edited by easybeat 2019-06-01 05:55:22)

welcome to chordie
i can`t give you advice as it sounds you know far more than i.
but i agree about the baritone or tenor uke,they seem to be more an instrument
than the soprano ukes.don`t buy cheap,treat yourself with a nice uke
you deserve it.A quality instrument will be able to be sold if you don`t stick with it.
where as a cheap uke remains a cheap uke.

The King Of Audio Torture

Yes is the simple answer!  Coming from a family of guitarists and bass players I tried and tried growing up but no way was I going to be any good at guitar.  Even bass. I picked up a pair of drum sticks and that was me. Now 30 years later the drums are a distant memory (due to shoulder and arm injury) and, determined to try again age 42,  I bought a seagull merlin stick dulcimer, 4 string in `d tuning easy peasy. I then progressed to uke as merlin has no c chord so limits the sings, and it is just as easy. Trust me. If I can play anyone can! You need to get your fingers used to the chords and strings I’ve been playing only a few weeks and I can get a few tunes and clear chords without looking already.

Yep. The chords are easier.

But, I'd say you actually have a pretty good musical background.     

If the goal is to have something to pick up and play, maybe accompany some sing along songs at a campfire - uke's a good choice.  But if the goal is to transfer what you learn on uke to guitar, then get a guitar and stick with it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude