Topic: Sore Fingers

A week ago I returned from a trip out west with 3 friends. We visited several National Parks and spent 6 days in our rafts floating and fishing the John Day River in Oregon. A day or so after I got home I picked up one of my guitars and after about 20 minutes noticed how sore my fingers were. Three weeks without playing and constant immersion of my hands in water for six days had softened all the callouses I'd developed over time.  To compound things, the bottoms of my feet were developing cracks from being wet for so long so for several days  I applied a salve used for heel cracks which softens the skin and helps it heal, not thinking it would also soften the skin on the fingers that were applying it ............. Duh!

I changed out the strings on one of my acoustics and put on the lightest set I had, tuned down a half-step to loosen string tension and played at a local music store jam yesterday  for two hours and then went to a nearby campground and played for another two hours with some of my old pickin' friends. This morning my fingers are so sore it even hurts to type this. I feel like a beginner again, but hope if I play enough over the next couple weeks the callouses will return.  Anyone else ever go through this?  Any suggestions to hasten the process?

DE 

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Sore Fingers

Been there.  Ice your fingertips.  It’ll help some but not a bunch.  You just need to power through.     

Baldguitardude wrote:

Been there.  Ice your fingertips.  It’ll help some but not a bunch.  You just need to power through.

Joe's advice is just right, but I would add that the ice belongs in a glass so that it doesn't drip everywhere. And so long as you have a glass of ice...     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Joe's advice is just right, but I would add that the ice belongs in a glass so that it doesn't drip everywhere. And so long as you have a glass of ice...

Joe's advice is sound and much appreciated but I think your Rx may be better Doctor Zurf.  Attacking the problem both internally as well as externally has merit for it will help alleviate the pain as well as providing a remedy for the malady. 

I wonder if my medical insurance will pay for a good bottle of Kentucky Bourbon?  wink     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs