Topic: meeting famous people stories

im bored so I posted this.....
Anybody on here ever met anybody famous before? (Really talking about musicians but i guess anybody'll do).
  I never really have sad But George Jones's cousin sang at my church one time Im not sure that counts. And my cousin swears she saw a dude who looked just like Kid ROck had the same 'paul' tattoo and everything. Ive SEEN mark chesnutt before on his way to go fishing at the lake next to where i used to leave, think he still keeps a house in toledo ben....  anyway im friends with a guy that co -wrote Georege Strait's "Ocean Front Property in Arizona". Wouldn't have guessed he'd do somehting like that but he knows the dude that writes strait's material....

All You Need is Love smile

Re: meeting famous people stories

I saw Prince a few years back at the minneapolis airport..I was eating at a restaurant and seen him go by on one of those people transport cars...He's a little guy...

My sister saw neil diamond at an air port in west virginia.
when  she told him that she liked a certain song (i forgot which one) he says , " i got over that song and acold at the same time."

the answer is blowin' in the wind

Saw Rod Stewart at the horse races one day.  Was going to ask him if he wanted my rendition of Maggie May but when I saw the 842 bodyguards he had, I thought I better tone it down, so I sung - "Do You Think I'm Sexy".............. Got 72 hours in the cells for that! .................Just joking

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

5 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-27 02:06:21)

I took a couple of guys in Joe Nichols' band fishing.  They set my wife and I up to come backstage and meet Joe Nichols.  I shook his hand and chatted for a moment.  Mostly, I really enjoyed fishing with the fellows from the band though, and given the opportunity would far rather spend time with them again rather than Mr. Nichols.  Nothing against him, just I really enjoyed my time with his band mates. 

On my 30th birthday, I shared some of my fries with Anson Funderburg, shook hands and chatted with Sam of Sam & Dave, and got blown off by and later apologized to by Matt "Guitar" Murphy who was headlining that night (and whom I later bought a shot of bourbon to show no hard feelings).  Matt "Guitar" Murphy is a big man with broad, powerful looking shoulders and the hard callouses of a working man.  Not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that.  The guy blew a "D" string in the middle of the first set and still played a ten minute solo with never missing a beat or a note.  EXTREMELY impressive skills!!! 

I met Chuck Mangione twice at concerts.  He is very accomodating and comes to the front of the stage to meet people and sign autographs after his concerts.  This was at the height of his popularity with the Olympics and "Feels So Good". 

I also met Livingston Taylor.  What a genuinely nice seeming gentleman!  He was at a small venue concert and literally invited everyone in the audience to come meet him in the pub after the concert.  A line formed, and while he looked exhausted after putting on a terrific show, he patiently waited and not only signed an album or whatever but actually asked folks for their names and hobbies and thanked them for coming.  Spent a little time in conversation with each person.  It seemed like he wasn't performing an obligation, but genuinely interested in meeting folks and thanking them. 

Though he's not a musician, I met Paul Newman when I was working crowd control at a race in which Mr. Newman was driving.  He was shorter than I'd have expected, but seemed pleasant enough.  He was completely focused on his car and the race and had little time for anything or anyone else, but all the drivers are that way.  I think it would be awfully hard for them not to be, considering the level of competition and the danger involved if things go wrong. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yes!I would have met quite a lot in my time. but was only ever really impressed with 2!   Joan Baez, an absolute Lady.
  A guy way back called "Demis Roussos" The very essence of a Gentleman.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

about ten years ago i met Dutch Mason "The Prime Minister of the Blues" at a kitchen party. What fun we had singing and blowing blues harp till the wee hours of the morning.
also met Joe Walsh in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire when he was on tour. He played so well we followed him to Plattsburg, New York for his next gig. He rememberd us from the previous nite. My wife took a picture of me at Woodstock
'94 beside a lemosene[Big Car] When the window rolled down it was Bob Dylan . What a thrill.I did'nt get to meet him but got close.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

I have met a few famous people.

Lemmy from motorhead.
Nigel from ...from ,,lol, oh yeah the choir boys
All of love/hate
Tyla from dogs d'amour,
billy connolly a few times when i was under 10 ears old, he was friendly wit hone of my neighbours at the time " Jimmy reid" the famous scottish guy that stood up for the workers rights in the shipyards.
Justin curry from del amitri, he was seeing my wifes friend.
ermmm,
Jake burns from stiff little fingers, bruce foxton from the jam and slf,
Mike Peters from the alarm
Tom Weir ( not a singer but a great wee guy tat has walked over al the hills in scotland and had his own tv program in scotland " weir's way"
paul Di'anno, the first singer with Iron Maiden, he was pished out his face talking about how great he was in iron maiden.
Princess Anne, said hello, refused to bow and felt good about that.

hmm, I tihnk that is it, I never reaslied there were so many.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i met paul simon once,  okay so i bussed his table and brought him water.  met lots of famous people at the pizza joint i worked at none being muscians, though.  served jonny ramone ice cream in new york.  also got a chance to play with some of the members of bad brains(old school punkrock)

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

10 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-27 19:27:16)

A buddy of mine had Joe Walsh drop in on his band and jamm with them at a practice.  Their lead guitarist had claimed to know him, but no one in the band believed him.  Then he was out of work between Country Joe and the Fish and the Eagles and was going around hanging out with the folks he knew (I called that the Mooch America tour when I did it).  Anyway, Joe Walsh drops in and jammed with the group and slept on the sofa for a few days.  Taught my buddy to play Funk #49 before he even recorded it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thats pretty cool Zurf. I'm a big Joe Walsh fan.When we saw him in Plattsburg he played 14 different guitars and of course I was right in the front row.He is truly an amazing guitar player.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

I met Wynton Marsellis once as he was coming out of the Julliard School on his way to Lincoln Center to give a speach of some kind.  I was about 17 at the time, and a complete Wynton freak, so it was somewhat special.  He was very cool, and didn't seem to mind having teenage fanboy groupies.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I was playing a gig in Florida a few years ago. I was cold and raining outside so the bar had me play inside. An older "worn" gentleman came in and sat in front of me. He was very appreciative of the music I was playing. I sat with him during my break and he introduced himself to me as Bob Burns. We got to talking and he said he was in town for a Lynyrd Skynyrd reunion gig at a nearby biker bar. I was under the impression that Artimus Pyle was the original drummer for L.S.. I was wrong! I looked it up when I got home and a few months later when Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted into the rock'n'roll hall of fame, there stood Mr.Burns with Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. Bob left the band soon after "Second Helping"was released, shortly berore that awful day the plane went down.
I had a great conversation with Bob Burns that night.  He complimented me on how I use my foot to play tambourine while I play guitar. He also shared with me these words of great wisdom. He said, " Son,it don't matter what kind of music you're playin' or where you're playin' it. Just be thankful for your chances and make the most of them."
As our conversation progressed, he told me the reason he left the band. He said the partying and touring was just too much for him and it was taking a serious toll on his health. I could see the pain and sadness in his eyes as he spoke of this. I thanked him for the conversation, got up and played "Simple Man" as he was walking out. He tipped his hat, gave a smile and a wink, then went on his way. That's my famous person encounter............

Give everything but up.

The Ramones once watched me playing in a band, in the early 80's, we were rehearsing in a room with a glass wall, looked up from my bass and was astonished to see them peering in.
They were playing a gig at the same venue later that day. I just wish I could have had my camera that day.

I also met Paul Weller before a gig in a bar when I was at university, (my friend kept Paul's cigarette butt after he left to perform, uhggh)

also met Elvis Costello outside the Colston Hall in Bristol a few years ago.

cheers

David

I met Lee Brilleaux, the frontman for Dr. Feelgood in '82.  Was off on a summer-long bicycle tour all around the British Isles.  Lee was married to a friend of mine from high school and they very kindly hosted me at their home for several days.  Lee squired me all around to his favorite pubs, introduced me to dozens of friends, and gave me a crash course in British pub culture.  Really a genuinely friendly fellow.  Was very saddened to learn of his death a few years ago.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

i have an original 'second helpings' record i got from an antique store...
Ed King was on the back too, if im not mistaken he ended up leaving the band too just before Steve Gaines joined

All You Need is Love smile

last_rebel wrote:

i have an original 'second helpings' record i got from an antique store...
Ed King was on the back too, if im not mistaken he ended up leaving the band too just before Steve Gaines joined

That is correct. Ed rejoined the band in the late 80's and due to declining health issues was forced to leave the band again.  (bad liver) Skynyrd is currently using a 2 guitar line up featuring Gary Rossington and Ricky Medelocke. I saw them last year and they were fantastic. Here's a current link the their latest info.......

http://www.lynyrdskynyrd.com/bandfaq.php

Give everything but up.

I did the lights for many bands back in the late 60s early 70s and had the pleasure of meeting and discussing the nights gig with the members of each band. Can I name drop............

Pink Floyd
Mott The Hoople
Family
Yes
and dozens of other bands that did not quite make the Super status but were famous.

Great memories.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

I run sound and roadie for bands on weekends Im not playing.  Ive worked with many big names.  But very seldom do you get to hang out with the artist.  Usually its unload trucks in the morning, then hang out board backstage, trying to find free food, untill the show is over and load everything out after everyone else is gone. Some big names Ive worked with = Molly Hatchet, Bare Naked Ladies, Cowboy Mouth, Willie Nelson, The Platters, the Maze.  Once my band played a show with Blue Oyster Cult.  We was suppose to go on first, of course, but it was outside and 30 degrees.  Freezing cold.  Still about 3000 people were there.  They didnt want to play late in the cold (they are older than me, and Im old!) so we went on after them.  That was cool.

Bobby
kickin.ws