Topic: Lost another one - Billie Joe Shaver

Billie Joe Shaver passed earlier today (or possibly last night) at 82 years old.

He kept the Texas honky-tonk sound alive. He was a good storyteller too.

He broke into the big time by threatening Waylon Jennings, saying if Waylon didn't listen to one of his songs that he'd beat the tar out of him. Waylon's bodyguards weren't too keen on that idea, but Waylon told him, "I'll listen to one song and that's it. If I like it, we can talk. If I don't like it, you never talk to me again. If you see me coming, you turn around and walk away."  Billie Joe played him three songs and they worked together for years, with Waylon introducing Billie Joe to whoever he could. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Lost another one - Billie Joe Shaver

Zurf wrote:

Billie Joe Shaver passed earlier today (or possibly last night) at 82 years old.

He kept the Texas honky-tonk sound alive. He was a good storyteller too.

He broke into the big time by threatening Waylon Jennings, saying if Waylon didn't listen to one of his songs that he'd beat the tar out of him. Waylon's bodyguards weren't too keen on that idea, but Waylon told him, "I'll listen to one song and that's it. If I like it, we can talk. If I don't like it, you never talk to me again. If you see me coming, you turn around and walk away."  Billie Joe played him three songs and they worked together for years, with Waylon introducing Billie Joe to whoever he could.

i saw where he passed away was going to post it myself. he also played with 2 1/2 fingers missing on one hand . he was an intresting guy     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

He has a bunch of great songs.  Just add him to the list of way too many great musicians that have passed lately.     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I just read a story wherein BJS shot a guy in an argument, was charged with aggrevated assault, was acquitted at trial, then asked for the bullet back as it was still lodged in the victim's neck. Harsh.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude