1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-12-22 20:20:52)

Topic: Clock Ticking

Season Greetings everyone.  I wrote this song after being challenged to write something about  New Zealand Christmas  2020 that is not exactly a conventional Christmas song. . This is about an imaginary person alone with their cat around Christmas time. I was practicing on this song a percussive picking technique that a local folk singer showed me. As usual just recorded on my laptop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=697N_f6syXc

Re: Clock Ticking

very clever video Peatle. 
Interesting picking technique
Cool song !
   Thanks for sharing.     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Interesting/unusual Christmas song and picking technique Peatle. Thanks for sharing. I had trouble understanding some of the lyrics, could you post them?     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Cheers Jim and DE  I have just got to learn how to play and sing it all  properly I will post the lyrics soon.     

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-12-24 20:14:21)

Dirty Ed wrote:

Interesting/unusual Christmas song and picking technique Peatle. Thanks for sharing. I had trouble understanding some of the lyrics, could you post them?

Here are the lyrics DE.

Well the cat is scratching at the door.

He wants to come in and the clock is ticking in the hall.

While the cat is meowing for more.

He wants to get to the fridge.

He needs his stomach filling.

Oh he hopes I have been to the butcher shop.

So he can purr and love me some more.

Oh times moving.

Times moving.

Time Is moving slow.

Its a sunny  day in this part  of the world.

While the rest is in locked down.

Oh I am glad I am living here.

And there is some Christmas cheer.

Oh the cat wants a little pat.

So he can get fed.

Once he’s had his feed he is out of here.

And I wont see him for a while.

Oh it’s a quiet Christmas.

But everybody is having some fun.

I am glad I am living in this part of the world.

Where everything can be done.

Oh don’t need no mask.

We don’t need to stand apart.

Were together.

In sunny weather.

What could be better than this.

Oh the clock keeps ticking in the hallway.

As time keeps moving along.

Oh the cat’s lying down.

Licking his fur.

He’s just purring a song.

Oh the clock keeps ticking.

The clock keeps ticking as I’m singing this song.

The clock keeps ticking.

Oh the clock keeps ticking in the hallway.

As time keeps moving along.

Oh the cat’s lying down.

Licking his fur.

He’s just purring a song.

The clock keeps ticking as I’m singing this song.

Very clever and funny Pete! Love the sound FX at the end. I also love the way you drop those clock, cat, Christmas tree etc in. You're a clever multi talented feller. I bet the cat keeps licking his fur wasn't your first thought?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-12-24 20:50:52)

Nadolig Llawen  Phill very true cat licking his fur not my first thought. I was going to add another verse about the cat disappearing out the door giving me a rude tail gesture after been fed and patted then going back to being his unappreciative self.  By that time the song had got a bit long. I have just edited the lyrics above as  I have  just noticed I wrote a couple down wrong.

it's already Christmas in NZ so merry Christmas to you and Maree.
I have noticed an oddity; do you get fish from your butcher shops out there? or does your pussy like a bit of meat? no puns intended....honest!     

9 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-12-25 09:47:16)

Merry Christmas to you Phill and all your family.. In the area where I live Butcher shops sell only meat and Fish shops or fish mongers sell fish. But having said that the supermarkets have killed most butcher shops so there are not many left now. We still have plenty of fish shops around .So you can get both fish and meat at the supermarket plus pet food for cats or dogs. .For other types of pet food the pet shops are where you would go.  Most people here feed their cats with cat with food products from the pet food isle in the Supermarket.
We don't have any pets now but our last cat use to be very fussy only eat one brand of tin cat meat and also liked sheep hearts from the butcher, Our family dogs use to eat dog roll  that you can buy in supermarkets and Lamb shanks from the butcher or other meat with bones suitable for dogs.
Our Christmas day started here at  11am Christmas eve your time as our time zone is  13  hours ahead of yours.

Ann is cooking our Christmas dinner, I peeled the veg and put the plates out so I can chill a bit now.

So, same here where butcher and fishmonger shops are concerned, they've all gone more or less. I can only think of one butcher shop and that's a couple of miles away. The only fish shops are where you put your feet in the tank....
We don't keep pets, we tend to grow too attached and waste products are a problem...lol
I wish I knew how to say merry Christmas in new zealandish...nadolig llawen     

11 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-12-25 21:56:19)

Phill Williams wrote:

Ann is cooking our Christmas dinner, I peeled the veg and put the plates out so I can chill a bit now.

So, same here where butcher and fishmonger shops are concerned, they've all gone more or less. I can only think of one butcher shop and that's a couple of miles away. The only fish shops are where you put your feet in the tank....
We don't keep pets, we tend to grow too attached and waste products are a problem...lol
I wish I knew how to say merry Christmas in new zealandish...nadolig llawen

Meri Kirihimete  the New Zalandish  nadolig llawen  to you  and Ann. Maree and I had a lamb roast on Christmas day with just her and I.  My hundred year old Mum and some family members visited earlier on Christmas day.. Today is boxing day this morning  we are doing  a catchup brunch starting at 10am with extended family. It has been a rainy morning but Christmas day was a beautiful sunny day. This afternoon if the rain clears it stopped raining a few hours back hopefully it will stay that way some of them are  going to take their horses for a ride along the coast in a place a few miles from here called the Wairarapa. Me I am just going to take it easy as I am too old for horses. Though I love my extended family I am glad a lot of them live in other countries as the number are to big for us to deal with now. Maree only  has a few relatives that live here most of hers live over in Greece, Romania and the USA. My mum had Christmas lunch at her great grand daughter new house as she wanted to show it of. Though we were invited when we saw the numbers who were going from just my sister lot we decided to take the pressure of my grand niece and  just have a quiet one at home. When our last pet past away we decided not to have any more as we get very attached to our animals.