Topic: FAMILY BLOOD - a sad country song

In the "Poems" section, Peatle posted a poem inspired by the Andy Capp cartoon and town drunks. Yesterday I made a "scratch" recording of one of my older songs about a father who drinks to the detriment of his family, and downloaded it on soundcloud today.

My wife had bought me a double CD set of classic bluegrass and country songs from the Center for Folklife  and Cultural Heritage  at the Smithsonian Institution. I had never written a song in that "old country music" style, and wanted to give it a try.  It was the Christmas season and John Denver's "Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas" was playing on the radio, planting the seed for a song idea.

Just like Phill, who writes "break-up" songs even though his own marriage is rock solid, my father didn't drink and always took me hunting and fishing so I tried to imagine what it would be like for a child who's father is a drunk, and wrote the song from his viewpoint.

https://soundcloud.com/user-198880521/family-blood 

DE 

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: FAMILY BLOOD - a sad country song

Nice one Ken !   Very Country !  quite descriptive and on target.  The guitar part was like a mix of several well known songs that I thought of- yet copying none of them!  Really good performance.
Keep'em coming my friend!!  Good stuff!!! smile

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

enjoyed this song so much and i'm not a country lover! your voice, guitar and overall performance are superb.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-12-29 00:35:56)

Ken even though you made the storyline up it would be true of many a family situation where the father is a drunk. Brilliant song.

5 (edited by Zurf 2020-12-30 20:43:36)

I've got a song idea on a similar topic. I've made a few passes at it, but can't put anything together.     

It's about someone I knew, which makes it harder I think. But I'm not such a good abstract thinker, which also makes it hard.  LOL!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude