Topic: The Loar LH301T-VS Strings

So I bought an archtop guitar. I had a post about this a while ago. It's a thin body archtop acoustic with a P90 neck pickup. The top is maple, like you'd find with a violin. The tone is completely different from anything I have.

When I got it, the strings were just perfect. They were light gauge and had me wanting to play lead licks and do bends and stuff that I don't generally do or even want to do. Well I wore those strings out and put on a set of NY XL 0.10-0.46 strings and it's much tighter feeling.

I'm assuming that lighter gauge strings have less tension when in tune, so I ordered some sets of lighter strings to try with it. .09-.42 and even some 0.08 - 0.38. They'll sound not so great acoustically, but I generally play this plugged in, so it shouldn't matter much.

Wish me luck.

I also need to change the strings on like three guitars, so I bought an electric screwdriver and a bit that holds tuning knobs. SO much easier to restring guitars!!! 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: The Loar LH301T-VS Strings

I also finally finished the Zurf Pbass Model One by putting on lighter gauge strings 0.40-0.95. They're GHS strings that are round wound but with a light buffing to knock down the roughness. I think they call the Brite Lites or something like that. I added a pushy-downy thing above the nut for the D and G strings. With the lighter strings I had to do another setup, but it went smoothly. At some point I'm going to need to route out the area where the bridge goes so that I can get the strings a little lower action. They're all the way down in a Kick-Ass Model 4 and still slightly too high. And I have in the lower inserts.

Anyway, it sounds much more even across the strings now. I can play at and above the 12th fret on the D and G strings for some nice little riffs and it is the same volume and feel as elsewhere, which with bigger standard round wound strings did not sound good.

But more importantly, my fingers aren't torn up by the strings.     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Re: The Loar LH301T-VS Strings

I tracked it down, by contacting the guy who I bought the guitar from, who called the guy that he bought the guitar from, as to what strings were on it when I came into possession.

They were D'Addario flat wound jazz lights (.11-.42, I think). 

So I went the entirely wrong direction.  LOL! That's how we do what we do, I suppose.