Topic: picks

There used to be a topic about picks on here some time ago, I'm not trying to revive that but say what happened the other night when I broke my Pick. I don't break them as a rule they just wear out. And it's not like I don't have spares, I have hundreds. This time my pick broke at the sharp end ( I'm sure there's a technical name for that bit) so I put it down. Now I've been using that pick for a long time and I'd grown quite attached to it, so it's still sitting here on my PC desk as I'm finding it difficult to throw away, it's too small to be re-sharpened, that being done several times before, so it had to be retired, but I cant seem to get myself to throw it in the bin...I may bury it in the garden? 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: picks

A friend of mine a very good guitarist and musician never smoked but in his music room he had an ashtray which held his much loved guitar picks. When he played gigs he never put his picks in with the guitar cases they were placed in his wallet with a bit in it designed specially to hold his picks. He was okay with other people playing his guitars but no one could touch his picks. I was told after he died his ashtray with the picks in it now sit on a table besides his wife bed as her way of keeping him close even though he is gone. His son told me that his mother guilty pleasure is when cleaning the ashtray when dusting and vacuuming is holding the picks in her hands. Apparently it wasn't until after he died that she got to touch those picks.     

Great Story Peatle !!!

That is fantastic

Phill

I have all my grandchildren on my pics.   It cost a bit to have them put on them, but well worth it.

I have four sets pics - one of each grandchild  variety of weights or thickness.

I have been told recently that I will have to order a new set in a few months !!!

Cool stuff Phill !

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

well i dont have my grand kids on my picks but what i have is well i wish i knew how to post a pic here. my daughter talked me into getting a matching tattoo with her of my bill lawrence electric guitar ( my first electric) that her and her friends would sneak into my room and play with while i was away offshore in the gulf of Mexico working. i was reluctant but agreed to my one and only tattoo , around the guitar i had whole notes one for each grandchild  and one half note for one that never made it to see this world. you can thank Jack for this little insight
side note i am not that attached to my picks but pretty particular about who plays my guitars     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I think that's one of the reasons I chose to play lefty, so no dickheads would want to play my babies!

I told Ann I'd laid my pick to rest and all she could say was...what about the rest of the stuff you don't use any longer? Does she want a divorce or what?

Stuff that no longer works that are gathering dust but I can't get rid of...

A Sony minidisc player.
A Sony twin deck cassette player/recorder
Assorted stomp pedals.
Several cameras and camcorders
And a 50 inch flat screen TV.

Stuff that does work...

4 stage speakers
Mixer amp, 500 watt
Various stands and mics
She even wants me to thin out my babies...I only have 4 acoustics, + an acoustic bass
3 electrics + an electric bass
2 electronic drum sets
A stage laptop
And a stage minidisc player

There's lots more including 3 keyboards and two sets speaker stands. If you think this is a boot sale...it's not!     

6 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-07-22 13:06:33)

WOW  - Phill
you are verging on becoming JJJ

All you need is a couple of bread machines !  smile

hmmmm. drum sets .....   if I had one for a week I am sure my wife would never mention the guitars again ! smile  smile  wink

The info regarding Ann only makes me smile - I have that same daily conversation with Pam --- "why do you need all these guitars " she asks.

My reply - I don't, but they aren't going anywhere either.

What is that old adage -  " Honey, please don't sell m guitars for what I told you I paid for them "  ?

MOJO -  I did the same thing - I have decals of my grandkids on my Ibanez hollowbody. - It's the only guitar they are allowed to play with.
the instructions on how to load pictures is here on chordie  somewhere -  if you go to the tab " About chordie" it is the fifth one down - posted a while ago by
Amy  ( mekidsmom)

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Two things Jim, I told Ann "I'd love to have that..." And she bought it for me..sneaky huh? And two, electronic drums need an amp or headphones, I use the latter.
Now as I'm getting on, she asks me things like what do I do with all this stuff when you're gone? I say..I'll be dead so I won't care!

I forgot to mention my Peavy guitar amp in my last post.