Topic: I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PLAY

I've been playing for almost a year and I've mastered the easy chords. I can also do some fingering but now I'm a bit stuck, everything I've chosen seems to be just hard or no challenge at all. Everyone has gone through this stage, I guess so how has your choice of songs to play evolve? please help me 

Re: I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO PLAY

Welcome Cenela to chordie. I'm not really much  of a guitar player but one thing that many a good guitar player has told me  over the years if something is to hard to play break it down into small bits.. Practice  the hand shapes to play the chords real slowly until it becomes natural.  Many of my friends who are good guitarist still have to practice regularly in order to be able to play properly.  I'm sure others on here will have better advice than I can give.     

Welcome Cenela, learning can be hard, remembering positions, how to finger properly and strumming or finger picking patterns. First question I'd ask is...how good is your guitar? If it's a cheapie chances are the strings are too high off the finger board and or the neck is too wide or deep. My advice would be to go to a music shop and try some good guitars, if you're serious about playing you'll try this. Play some of the tunes you're doing now then the difficult chords to see if it's easier to play. The strings may also be a factor if they're too heavy guage? For acoustic guitar I'd advise 10 or 11 guage. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you get on.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Riverdales 2021-11-13 03:03:17)

Cenela Hello, I haven't been on chordie for awhile but back in the day I was always on here. I know how your feeling. Don't Fret (LOL) Tell me one thing.....can you tune your guitar by ear. I mean if you pick up your guitar and strum it and it sounds off can you by ear tune it? Master that! If you can hear the correct tone and tune your own guitar by ear that is an achievement on your guitar venture. Now as for harder chords that's ez. Change the chord fingerings to one that you can play and frets you can reach. Google is your friend. If you can't reach the fingerings for a certain chord play a different chord with fingerings that are eazier to reach with the same sound.     As far as what to play well what are your interest. I can never ever learn one song and say hey i can play this at a party if the time ever arises, because i like so many songs and practice so many that i never really learn one. this list of songs makes you have to play the voice, the chord, and what you feel inside you as you play all together. It's music, you have to feel it we can't just say well put your finger on 3 2 1, Feel it change chord fingerings, there's really no rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rainbow connection
wonderful tonight david kersh
ticket to ride
three marlenas wallflowers
tequila sunrise
runaway train soul asylum
I'm on fire bruce
hello again neil diamond
always on my mind willie
Easy come easy go george strait
folsom prison blues
much too young garth
heros always been cowboys willie
turn it on up loose dwight yoakum
level super spicy as you need to
keep the strum always at the same
pace

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

just a quick fyi i went back to my post and they go back to 2008, I remember those first years. I played till my fingers almost bleed, always played always practicing, just loved advancing, learning and mastering new chords and songs. Wow 13 years. When i could tune my guitar by ear and those congratulatory words from one of the site moderators meant all and everything to me. Again thanks chordie!!!!!     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!