Topic: Home My Sanctuary

This is about where I live and what it means to me I hope it makes sense.                   

Home  My Sanctuary

As long as I can get down my front steps.

This place will always be my sanctuary.

As the morning sun holds me in its embrace.

On a blue sky a hidden hand paints different colours.

Above the preacher on a branch a singing Tui fills my head with a beautiful vibe.

The friendly toot of the horn and a beaming smile and a wave.

As the many who know me drive past.

This place is my future is my past.

Long may it last.

May it always love and hold me.

The trees and the ferns on the hill.

My little cottage in amongst it.

The days of a fast step  for me are now gone.

The spring in my heart still lives on.

I have spent many a year travelling to faraway places.

Adventures I have had some.

There are many places in the world that mean a lot to me.

This place here will always be my sanctuary.

Hidden in beautiful native bush the trill of the Grey Warblers thrills.

Bird songs enter my soul to me they are more precious than gold.

As I sit in the sun on my front veranda where our stories are told.

Maybe today in an unrealistic way before the sunset comes.

We can imagine that we put the world right.

Later on in the evening away from an uptight world.

I contently sleep building up my energy for the sunrise in the morning.

The trees close to our bedroom are  a place where the Tui break into morning song.

Are they singing about good news as they admire the valley views.

Life carries on once more as the sunlight hits the floor.

Through windows before we open the door.

We have had many a storm and winter go pass.

Shaking earthquakes happening hard and fast and in the past.

I live for today and tomorrow even when the flags at half mast.

Those unwanted things all soon pass.

Tranquillity finds it’s way back home into my heart.

Re: Home My Sanctuary

The love you have for chez Pedr shines through and jumps out of the page.

My regards to Maree and mum, hope she's recovering. Aren't you lucky you have papa tui and his family all I have are seagulls that frighten all the small birds away.

Another great poem.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Peatle
I totally agree with Phill
It is exactly how I feel about my town.
I felt smart reading this as well because you (and Jan ) have already educated me on what a Tui is !  smile

Great poem Peatle - I know bc I have re-read it several times !!
Excellent messages from the heart.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-08-30 08:45:55)

Merci Piri, greetings and best wishes to you and your family  from my human and wild avian family at my domicile. Thankfully at home we don’t have to put up with pesky seagulls like you have to and also those people on the waterfront close to my part of the world also have to contend with. My mum physically is doing ok and her broken hip has recovered well, but unfortunately mentally not very good and she now requires plenty of nursing care due to her sudden onset dementia. It was only a few months back that she was very sharp and quick witted and onto things. She now is in a care centre for the confused and bewildered. Next month she turns 102 so she has had a good run up until now.

Jim, thank you for taking time to read and comment on my words. The Tui singing around here are big part of the soundscape of this place. I remember you and Jan have both written good songs about Tui. The town where you live sounds like a place with a good community. I remember you posted a video during the lockdown of a brass band playing in your town it looked real nice.

In the unlikely event reading this line in my poem anyone wonders about the use of the word preacher, “Above the preacher on a branch a singing Tui fills my head with a beautiful vibe.”

The reason I used the word “preacher” it is a  cryptic type reference to what early European colonists called Tui, the parson bird. The Parson bird  name came about because of the Tui’s  distinctive white throat tuft which  looked to them like the collar that church ministers wore back then.. When early European arrived the non Catholics here often referred to the church priest as being their parson.

Peatle, nicely written and  your thoughts come through strongly.  Well done, I enjoyed it as I visualized certain things you mentioned in there.  Like you, we have lots of Tui`s around the place and wood pigeons as well.  The wood pigeons, who weigh the trees branches down with their size and weight sometimes.     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-09-01 07:39:42)

Cheers Jan  thank you for your feedback.  leading into Spring and with today being the first day of Spring I have noticed the birds around here have had plenty to feed on in the last few weeks and are getting plumper. smile