Topic: NBD NAD

I've been out of touch for a bit. Not sure why. I was in the habit of checking, then I fell out of the habit of checking. I'll check in with y'all in a bit.

But, today is an auspicious day in the Zurf studio/den/office. It is a NBD and a NAD.  I have been wanting a Gold Tone Microbass 25 (with frets) for a long, long time.  I came across a bit of jingle in my pocket, and bought one.

It had to be ordered. Then it took a while to get it. I learned that Gold Tone sets up every instrument they ship before they ship it. It doesn't matter if they are sending it to a human who will play it or to a business who will sell it to a human who will play it. They set it up. Whatever the instrument is. I love that. That's outstanding.

Then, the business from whom I ordered it, Shenandoah Music in Winchester, Virginia who I recommend to anyone interested, ALSO makes sure that the instrument has a chance to acclimate to the local environment and then THEY set it up. Awesome, awesome, awesome. That's exceptional customer service.

I bought this bass because it plays like a guitar and sounds like an upright, and I wanted it for adding bass tracks to some songs that Jets60 wants me to record. We've collaborated a VERY very little bit. And it has been a flipping BLAST. But I really felt like I could add something to the recordings if I could put in a bass line. But everything is so Americana and so Folk that I didn't feel like a P-bass was cutting it. So that was just the final straw to the saddle that broke the camel's back to get me to buy this awesome instrument.

Then I thought, "Say Zurf, if you have this wonderful acoustic instrument, perhaps you could use it at a campfire session."  So I said to myself, "Well Zurf-me, I don't think anyone could hear it."  I then replied to me, "You have some jingle in your pocket, and it doesn't take much jingle to get a quiet portable amp."  To that I said, "Zurf...Me...I am not kind to me."  To which I laughed and laughed at myself and bought a battery powered amp to let me play my new acoustic bass, AND ALSO my thinbody archtop guitar at a campfire session. 

Man. I do not like me very much. I am always talking me into spending our money.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: NBD NAD

look forward to hearing it Zurf,glad you had a bit of jingle to treat yourself.
i always wanted to hear a singer playing bass,no other instruments.
not sure if it would work,but it appeals to me,ive looked online but with little success.     

The King Of Audio Torture

easybeat wrote:

look forward to hearing it Zurf,glad you had a bit of jingle to treat yourself.
i always wanted to hear a singer playing bass,no other instruments.
not sure if it would work,but it appeals to me,ive looked online but with little success.

I'm not much of a singer, and I don't intend to sing and play bass as a solo act. But, I did get asked to try out for a blues band today playing rhythm guitar and singing, which are some things that I have done from time to time. I don't know if it'll work. I'll have to see.     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

4 (edited by Peatle Jville 2022-10-30 01:00:59)

Good one Zurf, Gold Tone have a beautiful tone to me just as good as a standup bass and less bulky to carry around. Though I often wonder why people would buy the 23 instead of the 25.

Congratulations on your new arrival. I do not understand why makers don't set up guitars before despatching them? I hope you have many happy hours of disturbing the neibours as acoustic bass guitars are LOUD! Enjoy.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Congrats Zurf

Here is my question- and keep in mind I have very limited musical instrument knowledge. Does it have 6 strings or 4?

And most importantly- is it easier to play bass than a 6 string guitar?
As far as joining the band- holy crap- I’d give a lot to just have that experience- join!!! Just because you can- and represent all of us who wish we could!

Again congrats-

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Congrats Zurf

Here is my question- and keep in mind I have very limited musical instrument knowledge. Does it have 6 strings or 4?

As far as joining the band- holy crap- I’d give a lot to just have that experience- join!!! Just because you can- and represent all of us who wish we could!

Again congrats-

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Congrats Zurf

Again congrats-

Jim

Bass guitar and guitar guitar have entirely different jobs. It's hard to compare the ease of playing each. This one has four strings. The strings are made of a material that reminds one of surgical tubing. It provides a tone very similar to a stand up bass. It will take some learning how not to roll the strings, and to get a clean fretting, as there is a lot of noise otherwise. It's also difficult to slide given the rubberyness of the strings. I'm sure I'll figure all of this out in time. It will be much easier to practice scales and whatnot on a lighter and smaller instrument, and the practice will relate directly to guitar as this bass and my guitars have roughly the same scale length.

I have been in bands. They aren't as much fun as you'd think sometimes. But when bass and rhythm guitar and drummer (especially bass drum) get a groove going, there's nothing better.     

Zurf, I like that self-talk, glad you listened to yourself and brought that instrument of choice.  Me, myself and I look forward to hearing it big_smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Zurf

I checked this out.... pretty cool instrument.

https://youtu.be/6HdxHYX7Yes     sounds very unique.

Did you use the rubber tube or the nickel wound srings ?     

sounds fantastic!! get to it Zurf     

The King Of Audio Torture

TIGLJK wrote:

Zurf

I checked this out.... pretty cool instrument.

https://youtu.be/6HdxHYX7Yes     sounds very unique.

Did you use the rubber tube or the nickel wound srings ?

My bass is just like the one in that video.