1 (edited by TIGLJK 2023-06-29 11:43:13)

Topic: Minor Key

EB ( et al...)

As Phill, Jan,  Peatle and and Brian commented on my lack of  musical abilities in a positive way, I thought I would post a link to one of my favorite songs.  It's an old Woody Guthrie song that he wrote, the song being  “Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key”. It's about his mother who was a great singer, but who also suffered and died in a mental institution from Huntington’s disease — a disorder in which certain nerve cells in the brain waste away, or degenerate. [the same disease ( along with alcoholism) that eventually shortened his life. ]

Woody once said .....

“I hate a song that makes you think that you’re not any good. I hate a song that makes you think that you’re just born to lose, bound to lose, no good to nobody, no good for nothin’, ’cause you’re either too old or too young or too fat or too slim or too ugly or too this or too that …”

Woody also added that , “I am out to fight those kinds of songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood,”

So I guess I like this song because in a weird kind of way - “Way over yonder in the minor key Ain’t nobody that can sing like me.” 

Thank you  to all my Chordie friends who listen to my poor musical abilities and leave positive feedback.  Woody and I appreciate it.
This is performed by Billy Bragg,Natalie Merchant and Wilco    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHVo-UKogBs   

Cheers to all !
Jim

PS  I think Billy Bragg and Phill sound a lot alike.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Minor Key

TIG I really liked this one, great harmonizing when they sing together, and both have great voices.  I like country music, and this is a good one.  Funnily enough, I though I really like country music I don't sing much country music myself, hmmmm maybe something I should try myself.     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Re: Minor Key

Good one Jim.
Jan you got the right voice to sing in all sorts of styles.